My LG G3 Battery Doesn't Last All Day.

anon(9029232)

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: Battery life

I love the standby time on the g3. Its one of the best out of any smartphones.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-19-12-28-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-19-12-28-53.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 149

anon(9029232)

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site

Even the standby without airplane mode is much better than most devices. Its much better than the Note 3 as I've compared it to my friends Note 3.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Even the standby without airplane mode is much better than most devices. Its much better than the Note 3 as I've compared it to my friends Note 3.

Agreed. I came from the note 3.

Sent from my VS985 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

I've had a G3 for 3 weeks now.

I came from the Blackberry Z30, which had an astonishing battery life. I'm a very full on user, and easily got 15-20 hours before dropping below 10%.

The G3 I have found to not be so good , but then with it's mega-screen, it was never going to be. I get 8-10 hours on an average day, and, left alone in standby, lose 2-3%% ph also.

I'm OK with that - I have spare batteries, and the phone is great, but I was expecting a little more. I have the screen set to auto, and Bluetooth off.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

I'm coming over from the SGS3, and I'm quite impressed so far. I was going through 2 batteries per day with my SGS3, I think I went through 15% in 8 hours yesterday. I didn't use it too much, but there was a good solid hour I was on it.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

This is too high. Check your apps and services to see what is draining your battery so much. It should not be higher than 1% per hour.

^^This^^

I've been off charge for 8 hrs 30 mins, made many calls a couple of texts and many emails (3 accounts) and have only dropped 9%. That's with a mixture of wifi and cellular data, bluetooth on and Gps (location services) set to high accuracy. In just standby I lose 1% or less per hour and I never turn functions off.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

This is too high. Check your apps and services to see what is draining your battery so much. It should not be higher than 1% per hour.

Well I've attached a snap. Not sure what this tells you but it's worth a go...

Attachments

• 14267.jpg
    14267.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 84

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Well I've attached a snap. Not sure what this tells you but it's worth a go...

The two things that jump out at me are 1) the keyboard and 2) com.android,systemui
I have never seen either of those show up in my usage regardless of how much I do. I don't know what may be causing the systemui battery usage. If it was me, I would go to settings, storage and clear the cached data, reboot and see if this clears them. Of course you won't know until you charge enough to reset the battery usage stats and then use your phone, recheck the stats and see if they show again. Maybe someone who knows more about the com.android,systemui will chime in. I have read about it but haven't gotten a clear understanding of issues related to it and why it sometimes causes a battery drain.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

Ok. I THINK I may have discovered part of the trouble. I obviously have the stock charger that came with the phone, but I've also been plugging the USB into an old BlackBerry charger at work and the same as home when I got to bed at night. I'm fairly sure that neither of these are the same power as the LG charger (they do seem to charge the phone slower also). I wouldn't really notice it overnight.

This was an issue on BlackBerry. Does using a less powerful charger also effect battery performance on Android, or is it simply that it charges slower? Using an iPhone charger seems to charge the phone just as quickly as the stock LG one.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Ok. I THINK I may have discovered part of the trouble. I obviously have the stock charger that came with the phone, but I've also been plugging the USB into an old BlackBerry charger at work and the same as home when I got to bed at night. I'm fairly sure that neither of these are the same power as the LG charger (they do seem to charge the phone slower also). I wouldn't really notice it overnight.

This was an issue on BlackBerry. Does using a less powerful charger also effect battery performance on Android, or is it simply that it charges slower? Using an iPhone charger seems to charge the phone just as quickly as the stock LG one.

No I don't think using a different charger is going to have any effect on what's using power on your phone. While I do always use the dedicated charger for overnight charges, I frequently use different chargers from time to time when I need to, I have lots of them around at home and work. It's no problem using them, but as you noted, they may not charge at the same rate. As noted above, check in settings Apps, swipe over to All and see what's running on your phone and clear the cache data, you either have an app or process that is running in the background using more power than should be normally.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

No I don't think using a different charger is going to have any effect on what's using power on your phone. While I do always use the dedicated charger for overnight charges, I frequently use different chargers from time to time when I need to, I have lots of them around at home and work. It's no problem using them, but as you noted, they may not charge at the same rate. As noted above, check in settings Apps, swipe over to All and see what's running on your phone and clear the cache data, you either have an app or process that is running in the background using more power than should be normally.

Thanks.

Well all I can say is, having used a different charger overnight, since 5.30 this morning I've used 22% battery, so ruining at just over 4% an hour. My usage yesterday under almost identical circumstances was nearer 10%.

Of course this may just be coincidental. I do user the smart cleaner once or twice a day anyway.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Thanks.

Well all I can say is, having used a different charger overnight, since 5.30 this morning I've used 22% battery, so ruining at just over 4% an hour. My usage yesterday under almost identical circumstances was nearer 10%.

Sounds like its a lot better today. :)

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

Using a less powerful charging will absolutely not affect the battery performance. The only thing it will do is take longer to charge.

I will say this, if you use a charger that is too powerful, there is a chance that the battery will become a lot warmer than in normal charging circumstances. This will directly degrade the life and performance of the battery.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

Using a less powerful charging will absolutely not affect the battery performance. The only thing it will do is take longer to charge.

I will say this, if you use a charger that is too powerful, there is a chance that the battery will become a lot warmer than in normal charging circumstances. This will directly degrade the life and performance of the battery.

Well, I'll take your more experienced word for it. Must be that something that was running now isn't then. All I know is that yesterday I got home from work with 16% battery and today 49%.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

There is a clear improvement in the performance of your phone and I guarantee it's not the charger making the difference. Of course, there are still many factors for battery drain.

The best way to compare is idle % drop per hour or over a length of time. And if you are testing the idle usage, please only test from 98% to 40% battery power range. This will ensure that an overcharge (at 100% typically) isn't messing up the numbers and a battery saving mode isn't kicking on to alter things.

Good luck.

stevovr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: My Battery Doesn't Last All Day.

As I don't use Gmail or any Google services I uninstalled or disabled them all. At the typing of this I'm at 83 percent battery with just under 2 hours screen on time. The only thing that really hits my battery is games for obvious reasons given the screen.

Steve/Boanerges Performance