My messaging is not working and my lg g5 won't let me connect to data away from home.

A

AC Question

Ok so not only do I have one problem but I have two. So number 1. I just got a refurbished lg g5 and its all great except for I can't send picture messages, I cant receive any MMS messages, and I can't receive or send group messages. I tried to call straight talk which is my carrier and one lady couldn't figure it out and the other hung up on me...... Twice. I've already checked and I have a setting on to allow MMS messages but I just can't figure out what is happening. I've also read all the forums I could possibly find and I can't find anything similar to the problem I'm having. Number 2. I am connected to wifi and have my data on at home and everything works fine until I walk about 15 feet away from my internet box. Then it won't connect to my Wi-Fi or use my data. I can see my Wi-Fi username and that it has 2 bars but anything under 2 or sometimes even 3 bars won't let me connect. And also when I'm away from home and away from wifi it won't let me use my data except for to text and call. And I've look and its not restricted in settings. So with these 2 problems can any help please?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! For the MMS issue, you have mobile data turned on, right? If wi-fi is on also, see if turning wi-fi off makes a difference. And make sure the APN settings are correct: https://bestmvno.com/apn-settings/straight-talk-wireless-apn-settings/

For the wi-fi issue, try rebooting the router first, by unplugging its power for 10 seconds. If that doesn't help, see more tips in this guide: [GUIDE] Troubleshooting Wi-Fi Connection Problems - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The wifi issue sounds like a disconnected antenna (inside the phone). Contact the seller (Straight Talk?) and ask for a replacement. I've left the antenna connection off more than once when working on a phone, and "refurbished" means that the phone was opened, so they could have done it too.

Make sure that Mobile Data (in More Networks in Settings) is on. If it's off, you won't have data if you don't have wifi.

Don't call Straight Talk - go to their Facebook page for help. (It seems that their best tech support people are on Facebook.)

Camiallen129

Aug 31, 2017
Visit site
Oh my gosh! Thank you so much! I can text again! It was the APN. And about the wifi, the rest of my family phone are working fine so its not that I have not looked at the last link yet because I was to happy 😁. So thank you so very much. Why didn't I just come on her before instead of looking through the internet for a month and a half? I don't know. But thank you, for the last time.

Camiallen129

Aug 31, 2017
Visit site
And now I just tried to use the internet without wifi and it works! Thank you so much! I don't even know who you are but I feel like I should give you a hug!?????? thanks for helping me. Now I don't feel like I made a bad decision buying this phone!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Great! I'm glad it works. If you don't have an unlimited data plan, though, you'll probably still want to use wi-fi, so when you get a chance, try those tips in my wi-fi guide. Enjoy the phone!