My personal LG G4 impressions

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
This is my first (H815) experience carrier free so I NOW KNOW what you guys have always been clamoring about, lol! I've seen the light! :D

Being carrier-free is a great experience.

From my friends, however, T-Mobile is a very close second...if you can get their service.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Being carrier-free is a great experience.

From my friends, however, T-Mobile is a very close second...if you can get their service.

I have the H815 with a TMO sim and its running beautifully! Testing TMO's network has made me realize that I finally have to let go of Sprint. To many years of paying for poor service. Time to move on.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the H815 with a TMO sim and its running beautifully! Testing TMO's network has made me realize that I finally have to let go of Sprint. To many years of paying for poor service. Time to move on.

Yeah that is how I felt. Some get good speeds but I didn't. I got 3g most of the time and if I got LTE it was very slow.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Sorry if this is a total noob question, but is it possible to buy an unlocked U.S. market phone and use it on Verizon, without Verizon "customizing" it?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this is a total noob question, but is it possible to buy an unlocked U.S. market phone and use it on Verizon, without Verizon "customizing" it?

You may not be able to use Verizon's LTE as they operate on different bands

Furthermore, Verizon runs on a CDMA network

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
G4,no.

But there are options like iphone or nexus 6

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Not interested in an iAnything, or Nexus. Oh well, it's not a deal breaker, just disappointing what carriers disable to blatantly nickle and dime customers :-(.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Not interested in an iAnything, or Nexus. Oh well, it's not a deal breaker, just disappointing what carriers disable to blatantly nickle and dime customers :-(.

I never buy from carriers because they either disable functionality on the device permanently, disable some unless you pay up (like tethering) and generally mess around with the software like adding useless bloatware.

Those are just some of the bazillion reasons why none of my Android smartphones are carrier-branded.

The only exception is T-Mo. They're generally cool and their plans are pretty simple.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
They usually don't do this anymore unless you have an unlimited plan. They actually aren't allowed to force you to pay for tether if you have a data plan with a cap.

They used to do that last time.

Maybe that net neutrality rule actually made them do good things for once.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They used to do that last time.

Maybe that net neutrality rule actually made them do good things for once.

The change actually came around when limited data came around. The FCC told them they can't charge an extra fee for tethering since if someone has 10 GB it doesn't matter how they use (tether or phone data) -- whereas with an unlimited plan they can charge extra if they want since unlimited data is meant for data via the phone and having unlimited for your laptop and other devices is counted as another service.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The change actually came around when limited data came around. The FCC told them they can't charge an extra fee for tethering since if someone has 10 GB it doesn't matter how they use (tether or phone data) -- whereas with an unlimited plan they can charge extra if they want since unlimited data is meant for data via the phone and having unlimited for your laptop and other devices is counted as another service.

Ah, gotcha.

I'm not too worried about that since my plan has tethering included.