My review after a month (or so)

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Not to sound condescending, but if you read things by Google itself, not what the media reports, you don't have to do much digging. Of course a Rumor website is going to state the opposite. Not a good source to get reliable information from. Read what Google writes.
Sure thing. Show me where Google writes such information!

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Precisely. Nexus devices are no longer targeted for developers. Sure, its the best developer device. But its very clear Google's intention is to make them mainstream. Between TV advertisements, billboards, ads during trivia crack. But this isn't new to the 5x/6p. They started this a while ago.

This is not advertising to mainstream. This is advertising focused on Geeks. Google is the king of target advertising and they would be selling millions and millions if they really wanted to go after the mainstream. This advertising is FOR people just like the regulars here on AC. The fact that you know about it and most likely the average person on the street has never heard of it, means they are hitting their target. Unless you think Google has failed in advertising this product.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
This is not advertising to mainstream. This is advertising focused on Geeks. Google is the king of target advertising and they would be selling millions and millions if they really wanted to go after the mainstream. This advertising is FOR people just like the regulars here on AC. The fact that you know about it and most likely the average person on the street has never heard of it, means they are hitting their target. Unless you think Google has failed in advertising this product.
You don't advertise to "geeks" during sporting events, Americas got talent, and candy crush advertisements. Google is clearly targeting a mass market. They don't need to advertise the nexus to geeks. Geeks find the nexus through proper geek channels.

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
And the pixel c that just released

PIxel C is another experiment/project. You guys must not read or watch much of what Google does or like to read Rumor reports a lot. Google is not your average company like Samsung or LG, they do things differently. It is a set pattern and it hasn't changed much. They are one of the easier companies to know about, because they are very communicative in what they are doing.

These devices are not intended to make Google a bunch of money, to take over Samsung, LG, or anyone else. Their primary reason for existence is get as many people as possible using their services (collect data), secondary is to promote Android, third is to show by example of what can (should) be done to other manufacturers, fourth to use Nexus as a test bed for new services, and lastly is not lose any money in the process.

This is why form one year to the next, it is not even known if Nexus will produce a phone. Selling phones is not their business model.

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Sure thing. Show me where Google writes such information!

Wow, really? You really think Google is in the hardware business? I won't even spend a minute trying to prove that you are wrong. That is like me proving to you that the earth is round, when you say it is flat. Yes it is flat when you are on the ground, but the truth is it is a round object. Troll someone else please.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow, really? You really think Google is in the hardware business? I won't even spend a minute trying to prove that to you. That is like me proving to you that the earth is round.
How did you interpret what I wrote? I asked you to show me where you read directly from Google that they're not interested in getting into the hardware business.

And BTW, who makes the Pixel C?

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
You don't advertise to "geeks" during sporting events, Americas got talent, and candy crush advertisements. Google is clearly targeting a mass market. They don't need to advertise the nexus to geeks. Geeks find the nexus through proper geek channels.

So now you know who Google is targeting. Well, damn I never knew geeks didn't like sports. I must be wrong and Google should just ask you. Forget what they tell everyone, including their investors, you got it figured out.

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
How did you interpret what I wrote? I asked you to show me where you read directly from Google that they're not interested in getting into the hardware business.

And BTW, who makes the Pixel C?

Again, this is just asking for the sake of argument. Google's business model is well known. Perhaps one of the best known. I have already stated the obvious, please don't keep asking. If you want to believe Google is now a hardware company and taking on all the Phone giants with Nexus. Marketing to the masses. Keep reading your Rumor articles and have a wonderful time. I won't be the one who will continue to try to change your mind.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
So now you know who Google is targeting. Well, damn I never knew geeks didn't like sports. I must be wrong and Google should just ask you. Forget what they tell everyone, including their investors, you got it figured out.
And you do know? See how this works?

I've provided plenty of evidence for my belief. You've provided nothing other than "if you ask Google directly they say they don't want to produce hardware", yet you've shown no proof of that.

Google has been targeting more of a mass audience since the nexus 4. " Geeks" don't need to find out about a new nexus device during a commercial watching the Voice. They know everything about it before its even announced. No phone nerd doesn't already know EVERYTHING about a nexus device that they need to find out in an advertisement.

Just stop already, you have no argument here.

aysiu

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm also having trouble finding a statement from Google saying they're not in the hardware business or that Nexus phones are for only developers.

From its blog post announcing the Nexus 5x and Nexus 6p:
While we love all the Android devices out there, every year we build Nexus devices to show off the latest and greatest, directly from the people who built Android.
Seems they're saying the point of the Nexus line is to show off the latest and greatest. Sure, developers will find Nexus devices handy for developing and testing for the next version of Android, but that's not what Google states as the Nexus line's main purpose.

I even dug up this blog post about the Nexus One:
We launched Nexus One in January with two goals in mind: to introduce a beacon of innovation among Android handsets, and to make it quick and easy for people to buy an Android phone.
While the global adoption of the Android platform has exceeded our expectations, the web store has not. It’s remained a niche channel for early adopters, but it’s clear that many customers like a hands-on experience before buying a phone, and they also want a wide range of service plans to chose from. So today we’re announcing the following changes: More retail availability.... From retail to viewing.
Sounds as if it being a niche wasn't their original intention, just something they settled for.

I'd also like to repeat that I've seen many ads for the Nexus 5x at bus stops. I don't see how bus stops are targeting geeks. Same deal with Hulu (or other streaming apps) ads. Geeks are only a small subset of people who watch streaming TV or wait at bus stops.

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Y'all should take your purse swinging to a new thread or PMs...you're diluting this thread

Haha! Sorry, this new purse has long straps and I just can't resist hearing the whirl sound it makes.

Really, I was just trying to share some inside Google knowledge. It really isn't worth any more effort, as it just doesn't matter expect to those of us in the industry. And was just surprised at the comments. Have fun with your 5X's, it is a great phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
confteam