need help asap!

bryonp

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
So I rooted my phone last night all went well, oh its verizon by the way so now I have no idea what to do im still stock 4.1.1 the problem im having is that I want to use next launcher but it wont default every time I reboot the phone I have to select a default launcher again and it wont stay what do I do thanks for any help.

raymaane

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
So I rooted my phone last night all went well, oh its verizon by the way so now I have no idea what to do im still stock 4.1.1 the problem im having is that I want to use next launcher but it wont default every time I reboot the phone I have to select a default launcher again and it wont stay what do I do thanks for any help.

Stop rebooting it? In the Launcher settings it should have an option for default Launcher you'll have to select the Next Launcher

Sent From Another Galaxy.

bryonp

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Like if I shut my phone off and turn it back on it will bring up the box to pick what launcher I want like tw or next launcher so I default next launcher and it works but when I power off again I have to choose again it won't stick ive already cleared defaults and unistalled and reinstalled next launcher and it still wont stay default and it worked fine before I rooted with casual!

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I dont think Rooting with Casual has anything to do with the Next launcher problem. As Raymaane noted you should be able to set Next as default. But based upon the conditions described it sounds like the setting is not persistent across reboots.

So, now that you're rooted, you can use Titanium backup to "freeze" TouchWiz. Once Frozen, reboot and see if the behavior continues. You may also want to see if any of the TouchWiz specific features are impacted. If they are, then you may want to consider a different launcher. I know from previous experience that Nova allows for it to be the default and is persistent across reboots.

bryonp

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the help I just wish I didn't even root it now should have just left it alone but I had to be cool like everyone else lol.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help I just wish I didn't even root it now should have just left it alone but I had to be cool like everyone else lol.

Sure, glad to help. I wouldn't un-root, as there are too many advantages overall compared to un-rooted. Just don't accept an OTA update, or it could remove root among other things.

I checked out Nova Launcher and confirmed it has an option to set it as the default launcher. So, if you're still wanting to use an alternative launcher, then Nova may be a good option to try. There's even a TouchWiz theme available for Nova and Apex launchers.

I've used Nova in the past on other phones, but these days prefer the relative simplicity and consistency that TouchWiz brings.

bryonp

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I myself am a big fan of go launcher ex but the next launcher looks awesome and I paid $10 for it I just dont understand why it works on my tablet and not my phone and the only thing that scares me about root is I dont want to mess anything up but then whats the point if I cant have fun with it

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

As long as root is the only thing you have done and you havent changed the recovery or any other aspect of the operating system unroot should be a fairly straight forward process. If supersu is what installed when you rooted then inside the app there is an option to perform a full unroot. Id do this, then upgrade to 4.1.2 then reroot.

Also after the unroot do a reboot and go to settings and check the status. If its good then do a manual upgrade check. When the upgrade is finished id use odin and cf-autoroot to reroot. It maybe takes 15 seconds from start to finish using this method.

Rooting is the only way to get the absolute most out of your note 2. First thing to checkout is multiwindow manager. It can make every single app you have work in split screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

bryonp

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks alot for all the help guys u know I consider myself very tech savy and ive had android since droid one best thing is all the custom things u can do but at the same time it is very overwhelming but after searching all day what a waist of time I finally found it next made a patch app for the launcher and now it stays default and works great!

bryonp

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
By the way ive had android phones for over 10 years and this is the first time I ever rooted, really the only reason why was to tether my tablet for free but there*is so much to figure out like titanium back up and bloatware and all that crap they need an android school LOL but with the help of great people like u guys I will figure it out!

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
By the way ive had android phones for over 10 years and this is the first time I ever rooted, really the only reason why was to tether my tablet for free but there*is so much to figure out like titanium back up and bloatware and all that crap they need an android school LOL but with the help of great people like u guys I will figure it out!

If your only reason to root is free tethering then you can do that without root. Foxfi is the app to look at, I believe it had been removed from the playstore at the requiest of the carriers but I can assure it does work and can still be downloaded.

If you have been with android that long then you should be familiar with sideloading apps. If however you are not then here is the link to downloading the most current version of foxfi, right above the link are the directions for sideloading. Hope this helps you!

http://foxfi.com/bin/

Ps. The world of rooting is new to me as well but for a different reason. The note 2 is my first android phone. Prior to thos I had an iphone 5, 4, and 3g. This forum did not help me with rooting or installing roms either. Google-ing is what helped me the most, there are many way to do a root and everyone does it for different reasons. Anything you want to know is at your beckon call with a simple search. But if you have questions do not hesitate to ask, there a many regulars around AC that are more than willing to help, myself included.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

bryonp

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
The thought of rooting is not new to me but getting the balls to do it was ,tethering wasn't the only reason but it was a big one also wanted to freeze bloatware and all the other cool stuff I just have to figure out how to do it and your right I couldn't live with out Google that's how I found the video to root it thanks for all your help!

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
There is a method like freezing built in to touchwiz. You can force stop the app and disable it, then go into your app drawer and hide the applications. Its a rather simple fix, if you root and then remove the bloatware it MIGHT give you 500megs back as usable space.

Im not trying persuade you im just giving alternative suggestions based on what you have said you wish to do so far.

It wasnt a case of having the balls to do it for me. I read about for a day or 2 then decieed to do it. I got my note 2 in november and I had it for only few days before I rooted it. They said it was easy and it was, I installed twrp and a new rom however the rom was VERY buggy and made me instanly regret the decision of rooting. I almost bricked my device going back to stock, the process of unroot is far less easier apparently. I rerooted a week later and installed cleanrom since then I am exclusive to cleanrom as it has been the best experience by far. No bugs all.

bryonp

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks yah ive done that in the apps menu running/all and then disable thanks for the help much appreciated!

bryonp

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
This is why I like android central so much all this help and suggestions I posted the same tread on xda at like 10:00 am eastern and not one single reply hmmmmm!

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
This is why I like android central so much all this help and suggestions I posted the same tread on xda at like 10:00 am eastern and not one single reply hmmmmm!

The problem with those guys is this... the question most regular people ask have all been asked before. They want you to use the search function. If the answer exists somewhere on the forum already they are less likely to help. To extent I understand that. Sometimes on this very forum you can find questions asked multiple times sometimes even on the same page together and still people wont bother to look first THEN ask.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene