Need help with themes...

morrison0880

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to Android, coming from my FrankenPre2 after giving up hope on webOS and HP. Picking up the Epic Touch has been great, besides the LOS and battery issues. I was pretty deep into modding the Pre, so I'm looking to do the same here.

My first thought was to try to modify the images on the Epic, but I am lost as to where to find the correct files to modify. I was able to change the icon for the messaging app and the Incoming/Outgoing phone call animation, but that's pretty much it. I don't know where to start with the phone app, since images seem to be spread out all over the place. Opening up the phone apk yeilds a ton of images, and I don't know which ones to change.

My question would be to any themers out there, or anyone familiar enough with Android. How do I know which images I need to edit? Is there a directory or a file list which gives corresponding locations to specific images, such as the "1" button or the "Call" button, or the launcher icons? Or is it more a process of trial and error? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to Android, coming from my FrankenPre2 after giving up hope on webOS and HP. Picking up the Epic Touch has been great, besides the LOS and battery issues. I was pretty deep into modding the Pre, so I'm looking to do the same here.

My first thought was to try to modify the images on the Epic, but I am lost as to where to find the correct files to modify. I was able to change the icon for the messaging app and the Incoming/Outgoing phone call animation, but that's pretty much it. I don't know where to start with the phone app, since images seem to be spread out all over the place. Opening up the phone apk yeilds a ton of images, and I don't know which ones to change.

My question would be to any themers out there, or anyone familiar enough with Android. How do I know which images I need to edit? Is there a directory or a file list which gives corresponding locations to specific images, such as the "1" button or the "Call" button, or the launcher icons? Or is it more a process of trial and error? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

First off, just to clear things up your talking about the Epic Touch... This is the Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4g.. (The original Galaxy S phone). Anyways, not a big deal for what your asking... Themes are themes...

99% of your icons, different parts and pieces to any app or .apk will be located in the "res/drawable-hdpi/" directory inside the app. Occasionally you will have a few images or "pngs" located inside the directory named "/res/drawable-land-hdpi/" or something to that affect.. The "land" referring to landscape mode.

Images that are easily modifed are example "ic_launcher_sms_mms.png" which is the icon for the messaging app. The main point here is anything with a "png" extension is easily modified without problems. Change it, color it, whatever as long as you stay within the set dimensions of the icon.

When you get into pngs that we call "nine files" where they would have the extension ".9.png" now those are formatted to stretch when you switch from portrait to landscape mode. The png works for both modes of viewing. These types can be modified within Gimp for example (free and common used theme paint program) but most likely when you modify it and place it back into the app and flash it you will end up with FC's or a messed up looking image because of special formatting in place being a nine file.

Without me spending tons of time explaining this to you, here is a thread below that many have learned from and its done by a friend of mine and a very accomplished themer. I suggest you take the time to read it and get familiar with the process of handling these files or else you will be just wasting your time...

Ignore the fact this is from the Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4g section, the basis behind the tutorial works for any phone, or application when working with nine files.

[Guide] Learning To Theme: Putting the tools to use pt. 1 (xda developers)

I hope this helps, its not something that you sit down and pick up 1 2 3, it takes some learning of specific tools and apps needed to make it all work and its really the only way to successfully accomplish this.

Paul.

morrison0880

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the correction. I must've jumped to the wrong forum. And thank you very much for the help. I've been searching for a tutorial exactly like that. I really do appreciate the help and the quick reply. It's good to see that these forums are as friendly and helpful as PreCentral. I think I'm going to like it here...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the correction. I must've jumped to the wrong forum. And thank you very much for the help. I've been searching for a tutorial exactly like that. I really do appreciate the help and the quick reply. It's good to see that these forums are as friendly and helpful as PreCentral. I think I'm going to like it here...

No problem... That guide/tutorial is the same spot myself and many others have learned from and still refer back to for new inspiring theme builders.

Good luck ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FABETTTTT