New 7T - Activity Tracking Issues

brianone1

Apr 27, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,
just upgraded to a 7T from a Galaxy S8 and I love it.

However, I'm having some issues with my activity tracking in that my Galaxy S3 Frontier and the phone don't seem to be playing nicely. Since moving to the new phone, the GPS tracking doesn't seem to be working correctly in my activity tracking no matter what I set or change. (Depending on the test/config, it's either only showing that I traveled a few inaccurate feet, or not picking up anything at all.)

The activity tracking app I'm using is Samsung Health (controlled from the watch). Everything is up to date and all Samsung apps (and associated plug ins) have been given all the permissions they've asked for.

I've tried enabling and disabling the Google Location services on the phone which didn't seem to make much different either way.
Putting the phone into airplane mode (but with Bluetooth enabled) has the same result.
I've also tried a factory reset of the watch in case that had something cached in it but no luck.
I've tried setting the GPS source on the watch to not use wifi/mobile networks etc but no change so long as there was a connection to the phone.

If I turn the phone off and just use the watch, things work as you would expect.

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to run with the phone (for music mostly) but tracking the run/activity through the watch. (Hence the airplane mode but with Bluetooth-enabled scenario in my tests.)

I don't really care which device is tracking the GPS so long as it works. It's been working correctly on the previous phone for a few years so I'm wondering if there's something in the OnePlus hardware (or OS) that I'm overlooking.

I'd appreciate any suggestions and happy to give more data points if I've overlooked anything in the summary.

thanks in advance!
Bri

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Here is something you may want to try. I have a OP 7T Pro McLaren on Tmo and it seems that the OS is pretty aggressive when it comes to battery / power management. I was having difficulty getting gmail notifications on my smart watch and tried everything to no avail. I disabled the power management in settings and now everything seems to be working. Your issue could be related to the power management of the OS. Can't hurt to try.