New from IOS having issues with s8 GPS

skysurfer2010

Jun 23, 2017
Visit site
I've been an iPhone user since iPhone 3 and have been bored and looking for a change. I've been in love with the S8 since it came out and last weekend decided to give the android side a try. I'm not an apple fanboy but I will say the nice thing about apple is it just works. Almost never any issues or crashes, apps always work, etc. BUT I'm bored with apple and I'm tired of them giving you the platform and not wanting you to change anything.

I want to love this s8. And on some days I do and really glad I got the phone. But I've had some issues and most I've been able to fix or correct thanks to searching the web but this problem is actually very large to me and could be a deal breaker.

I'm having issues with the location/ gps function. I'm an airline pilot and travel often. I had no issues using google maps or any apps that use gps until yesterday when I went on a work trip. Before pushing off my gate I put my phone into airplane mode. When I landed I turned it back on and the phone wouldn't recognize the new location. When I got to my hotel I searched the web and downloaded the "GPS test" app. It said to clear the AGPS and then to update it. Then turn the location tab off and back on. After doing so the location finally updated. Small success (although unacceptable to do every time my location changes). But then I flew back home today. I had to do the same process over again since it was now showing my location halfway across the US still. It didn't work. I had to repeat the process a few times before it eventually worked. However, it only worked temporarily. It would last about 5 minutes and then return me to the previous location. After about 30 minutes and numerous resets it finally stayed in the correct location.

Also under the GPS test app there is a field for GNSS status. When I had issues it said "no fix." Normally it shows 3D fix. I'm assuming this could be the problem? Im hoping nothing is wrong with the actual phone. Waiting 30 minutes to an hour to update my location is unacceptable.

Help!! I really want to love this phone. But having to manually update my location everywhere I go is an immense PITA. I'm having some other smaller problems that are probably user error but this is the biggest concern. Thanks in advance.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I've been an iPhone user since iPhone 3 and have been bored and looking for a change. I've been in love with the S8 since it came out and last weekend decided to give the android side a try. I'm not an apple fanboy but I will say the nice thing about apple is it just works. Almost never any issues or crashes, apps always work, etc. BUT I'm bored with apple and I'm tired of them giving you the platform and not wanting you to change anything.

I want to love this s8. And on some days I do and really glad I got the phone. But I've had some issues and most I've been able to fix or correct thanks to searching the web but this problem is actually very large to me and could be a deal breaker.

I'm having issues with the location/ gps function. I'm an airline pilot and travel often. I had no issues using google maps or any apps that use gps until yesterday when I went on a work trip. Before pushing off my gate I put my phone into airplane mode. When I landed I turned it back on and the phone wouldn't recognize the new location. When I got to my hotel I searched the web and downloaded the "GPS test" app. It said to clear the AGPS and then to update it. Then turn the location tab off and back on. After doing so the location finally updated. Small success (although unacceptable to do every time my location changes). But then I flew back home today. I had to do the same process over again since it was now showing my location halfway across the US still. It didn't work. I had to repeat the process a few times before it eventually worked. However, it only worked temporarily. It would last about 5 minutes and then return me to the previous location. After about 30 minutes and numerous resets it finally stayed in the correct location.

Also under the GPS test app there is a field for GNSS status. When I had issues it said "no fix." Normally it shows 3D fix. I'm assuming this could be the problem? Im hoping nothing is wrong with the actual phone. Waiting 30 minutes to an hour to update my location is unacceptable.

Help!! I really want to love this phone. But having to manually update my location everywhere I go is an immense PITA. I'm having some other smaller problems that are probably user error but this is the biggest concern. Thanks in advance.

There are ways of testing the GPS chip (hardware side) to see if it's working fine, there are some hidden menus and Service Mode that will test most of the Hardware. Look on Google based on your Carrier, it varies by carrier model.

After you test that the GPS is not the issue, I'd suggest to go to your Settings-Device Maintenance-Storage-3 dots at the top right-Storage Settings-Internal Storage and click on Cached data so it clears your Apps cached data. After this turn off your phone and then press and hold Bixby, Volume up and Power buttons until you see a little message on screen or it turns blue, this will enter your phone in Recovery Mode, once in there do a Wipe cache partition and once it finishes reboot.

What I just suggested above is to clear your System cache files, it may take care of OS glitches and I've seen fixes for a lot of weird issues in general. I'd do the Clear Cache and Wipe Cache partition even if you don't find a way to test the hardware via the service mode simply because you mentioned that it was working until yesterday, so it may be just a glitch somewhere, and there may be a chance to fix a glitch like that with this procedures.

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I agree with erasat. Wiping the cache partition should be in your tool kit as an Android user. It can (and has) fixed many issues. It's easy to try and non-destructive. Good luck.

skysurfer2010

Jun 23, 2017
Visit site
There are ways of testing the GPS chip (hardware side) to see if it's working fine, there are some hidden menus and Service Mode that will test most of the Hardware. Look on Google based on your Carrier, it varies by carrier model.

After you test that the GPS is not the issue, I'd suggest to go to your Settings-Device Maintenance-Storage-3 dots at the top right-Storage Settings-Internal Storage and click on Cached data so it clears your Apps cached data. After this turn off your phone and then press and hold Bixby, Volume up and Power buttons until you see a little message on screen or it turns blue, this will enter your phone in Recovery Mode, once in there do a Wipe cache partition and once it finishes reboot.

What I just suggested above is to clear your System cache files, it may take care of OS glitches and I've seen fixes for a lot of weird issues in general. I'd do the Clear Cache and Wipe Cache partition even if you don't find a way to test the hardware via the service mode simply because you mentioned that it was working until yesterday, so it may be just a glitch somewhere, and there may be a chance to fix a glitch like that with this procedures.

I cleared the apps cache data in settings and then I cleared the partition cache. I found the codes to test the GPS but it wouldn't work on my phone. I looked for a specific T-Mobile code to do it and couldn't find it.

I'll be flying tonight and doing the same route. Yesterday was the first day I flew since I bought the phone therefore the first time I had it in airplane mode and changed my location drastically. I'm really hoping the problem doesn't repeat!

I appreciate the help and I'll update tomorrow. Thanks.

If it doesn't work I assume my next step will be to go back to T-Mobile? I wonder if they want to swap out phones if they'll refund me for the tech21 screen protector too since I'm assuming it can't be reused?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I cleared the apps cache data in settings and then I cleared the partition cache. I found the codes to test the GPS but it wouldn't work on my phone. I looked for a specific T-Mobile code to do it and couldn't find it.

I'll be flying tonight and doing the same route. Yesterday was the first day I flew since I bought the phone therefore the first time I had it in airplane mode and changed my location drastically. I'm really hoping the problem doesn't repeat!

I appreciate the help and I'll update tomorrow. Thanks.

If it doesn't work I assume my next step will be to go back to T-Mobile? I wonder if they want to swap out phones if they'll refund me for the tech21 screen protector too since I'm assuming it can't be reused?

Yep, I think that if it keeps doing the same then you'll need to contact T-Mobile, if you are under the 14 days grace period, you can ask them to replace your phone with another one, just to be sure it's not just your phone. I have a S8+ from T-Mobile, and I use the Airplane Mode a couple of times a week due to my work and I have never seen any issues after I've turned it off.

I hope that it got fixed by doing the Clear Cache and wipe Cache partition, if not, see if you would like to give it another try and get a replacement, if you prefer other alternatives I think T-mobile can also help you with that. No, accesories are basically a lost cause if you return a phone. Good luck.

skysurfer2010

Jun 23, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I'll definitely give it another try with a new phone if this didn't fix the problem. I really do want to love this phone. If a second is a dud then I'll go back to my old iPhone and wait for the 8 to come out.

If I do need to get a new phone I'll have to erase this. How exactly does the backup work for this? I'm familiar with the iCloud for iPhones but not sure how this me backs up. Does it restore a new phone over wifi like the cloud? Is it buggy or can it be trusted to restore everything including settings?

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
If it doesn't work I assume my next step will be to go back to T-Mobile??

Other than Google Maps, what other apps do you use that requires the GPS? It could be app related, in that an app is locking the GPS receiver.

If that doesn't resolve your issue, then before swapping it out for another phone, try doing a factory reset (which is what you'll have to do before you swap it out anyway).

Doing a factory reset will wipe the phone and force it to download a fresh copy of the OS, drivers, and firmware. It's possible that something corrupted the drivers or the firmware and causing it to not communicate with the GPS receiver.

BratPAQ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Can you make sure this is your setting?
d6fb81e7f0ccbfb28816f06b8eb58a86.jpg

skysurfer2010

Jun 23, 2017
Visit site
Other than Google Maps, what other apps do you use that requires the GPS? It could be app related, in that an app is locking the GPS receiver.

If that doesn't resolve your issue, then before swapping it out for another phone, try doing a factory reset (which is what you'll have to do before you swap it out anyway).

Doing a factory reset will wipe the phone and force it to download a fresh copy of the OS, drivers, and firmware. It's possible that something corrupted the drivers or the firmware and causing it to not communicate with the GPS receiver.

It's a handful of apps that use your location. They don't update when location is changed after using airplane mode.

I'll see tonight if it does the same thing. I'm really hoping it doesn't.

BRAT- yes I have it on that setting.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I'll definitely give it another try with a new phone if this didn't fix the problem. I really do want to love this phone. If a second is a dud then I'll go back to my old iPhone and wait for the 8 to come out.

If I do need to get a new phone I'll have to erase this. How exactly does the backup work for this? I'm familiar with the iCloud for iPhones but not sure how this me backs up. Does it restore a new phone over wifi like the cloud? Is it buggy or can it be trusted to restore everything including settings?

If you activated a Samsung Account, then you can go to Accounts and check the Samsung one it gives you option to sync and do a daily backup, based on my last experience when moving to this phone, it has gotten a lot better and you'll get most of your settings back but still there are some others that depending on the apps you have, won't work. No Android backups are not like iPhone/iCloud ones. One think Google and the rest of Android OEM are far behind Apple. There is no easy way to do an Image backup /restore.

Also, see if you can download and install on your computer Samsung Smart Switch for PC or MAC, connect it to your phone and you can also make what they call a Full Backup to keep locally, you can also restore most that data available from it.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I recently flew with my S8+ and it was a drastic flight from Fl to Mi. It updated just fine after I landed. On the return flight I checked the maps and it was updating even in the air.

skysurfer2010

Jun 23, 2017
Visit site
Well last night when I got to my destination the GPS didn't update automatically immediately after turning airplane mode off. I immediately turned the location on and off in settings and it did update my location. I wasn't thrilled I had to do it, but I was glad it did update. This morning after I flew back I decided to see if it would update the location completely on its own if given more time. After turning the phone on I'd say it took 5 to 10 mins to update the location but it did do it on its own. Slightly annoying, but not a deal breaker for me since I love the phone.

On a side note, does anyone know if you can disable the warning message that pops up asking to confirm if you want to enable airplane mode? It's slightly annoying.

Joanne Howard

Jun 4, 2017
Visit site
Well last night when I got to my destination the GPS didn't update automatically immediately after turning airplane mode off. I immediately turned the location on and off in settings and it did update my location. I wasn't thrilled I had to do it, but I was glad it did update. This morning after I flew back I decided to see if it would update the location completely on its own if given more time. After turning the phone on I'd say it took 5 to 10 mins to update the location but it did do it on its own. Slightly annoying, but not a deal breaker for me since I love the phone.

On a side note, does anyone know if you can disable the warning message that pops up asking to confirm if you want to enable airplane mode? It's slightly annoying.

Hi, i dont get any message when enabling or disabling airplane mode from the notification toggle

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

No way of disabling that message, it has done it for me I think on all my Android phones, not just Samsungs.

About the location issue, I'm glad that it's better but I still think that something else is going on, it still doesn't sound like it's normal. Like I mentioned before, I have a T-Mobile version too and it works flawlessly and fast after turning Airplane mode on/off.

Have you installed an app recently that works directly with GPS? I mean right before you began having issues. I'd also change the setting you actually have on Location-Improve Accuracy, so if you have them both on, I'd turn them off. I always turn off those options anyways, try in your case and see what happens.