New Keyboards

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
anyone else had swiftkey force close ALL the time? it has a lot of nice features but i cant really give it its chance if it closes all the time

Swiftkey is working flawlessly for me, even though it isn't as slick as Swype was when Swype worked right. Swype, on the other hand, was always a bit unstable for me. It frequently would fail and no longer Swype (it still worked by pecking the keys), and I'd have to switch out of Swype to another keyboard then back to get it to work. On one occasion it failed entirely and I had to reinstall it. Even though I loved typing on it when it worked smoothly, I'm not missing the periodic nagging problems I had with it.

I haven't tried Slideit, it may deserve a chance, but I'm comfortable with the cool steadiness of Swiftkey for now, rather than the hot and cold passion of Swype (the problems I described above are when it was working well, before the update that broke Swype's accuracy).

cdjh

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Ultra Keyboard is the best so far. It has everything.

+1 I don't often use the swype-like feature, but it seems to work well when I do. Probably not a good as swype for swiping... but very good. Way more customizable. No keyboard can touch its customization. Customize look layout, animation, dictionary, everything.

Where ultra keyboard excels is the straight up typing. This is the only keyboard I have found to keep up with HTC-IME mod in terms of speed and correction.

When I first loaded it, it was buggy. I sent the dev an email which was responded to 2 days later with an updated version in the market and an email reply stating that he had found the bug. Ultra keyboard is highly recommended in my book.

coogrrr94

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Agree on Ultra keyboard. I tried the trial version then bought the paid app (my first paid app). The swipe like function works great, and I had a great time creating my own custom themed keyboard.

skafri#WN

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I also use Ultra. I have it customized with everything I need. It has the mic for when I'm driving, the tracing features like Swype, and all the little things like custom colors, a dedicated smiley button, etc.

tiggrev

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
+1 on Ultra KB.

I tried 4 other keyboards (even bought two) before finding Ultra and it's now my default. Even got the wife to buy it and she generally hates touch keyboards (those fingernails get in the way...)

Latest update seems a little slower and sometimes misses a key, but the developer issues regular bug fixes and improvements. Well worth the price ($2.79)

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Giving SlideIt a try now so far so good, but I'm a need to be a little more impressed to spend 8 bucks on a keyboard so we shall see.

manso1102

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I wad trying slideit and was happy with it until I ran into ultra keyboard, the fact that I spent nine bucks on slideit upsets me now that I found ultra!... so far I'm leaning towards ultra, a lot more customizable and responsive. Both have swype like feature fyi.

-EVO 4G-

sub150#AC

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Just installed ultra trial. Holy crap there are a lot of options. I had an Epic for 30 days and loved Swype, but I just couldn't get Ultra to run like it. It's still a lot better than the default, so I'll probably buy it, but I'm jumping on Swype as soon as it comes out for Evo.

Honestly, just too many options for Ultra and I can't even figure out how to get ride of the top row...it's a keyboard for crying out loud.

skafri#WN

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Just installed ultra trial. Holy crap there are a lot of options. I had an Epic for 30 days and loved Swype, but I just couldn't get Ultra to run like it. It's still a lot better than the default, so I'll probably buy it, but I'm jumping on Swype as soon as it comes out for Evo.

Honestly, just too many options for Ultra and I can't even figure out how to get ride of the top row...it's a keyboard for crying out loud.

I assume you mean the Toolbar? The scrollable row of options that sit above the keys? If so, you go to Menu>Settings>Language & Keyboard>Ultra Keyboard Settings>Toolbar>Enable>Never. Hope that helps!

Seriously, you can do/change EVERYTHING about this keyboard. I'd be so sad if I had to go back to Swype now.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
SwiftKey is simply amazing. I bought it when it was on sale for 99 cents, but it's well worth the full price. Anyone who doesn't like it probably hasn't used it long enough.

What's so great about it compared to other keyboards is that it actually analyzes what you are typing and suggests words based on other words that would commonly be used together, not just based on spelling. It also learns your individual language style after a while and suggests words that you use together on a regular basis. I've actually written complete sentences without typing anything other than the first 2 or 3 letters of the first word. It's almost scary...like it's reading your mind.

They really need to have a trial version that's good for like 2 weeks. Google lets you try an app for 24 hours and uninstall for a refund but SwiftKey really needs a longer trial period because of the way it learns your individual typing habits.

Last edited:

davidoshennn

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping the Swype beta reopens soon. The regular keyboard is killing me. It constantly overwrites letters that I'm pressing. It has a mind of its own!!!

tadtam

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Got SwiftKey for $.99 and love it. It is very intuitive, even after using a word once. I also like the arrow keys to move cursor L,R,UP or DWN..

myrcgarage

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Got SwiftKey for $.99 and love it. It is very intuitive, even after using a word once. I also like the arrow keys to move cursor L,R,UP or DWN..

I would like to know how to move the cursor. Mine does not have those...please advise.

Thanks

Edit: I found it: Press "123" then "{&=".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays