New Nexus Devices(s) rumored for the 30th.....anyone excited?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: New Nexus(') rumored for the 29th.....anyone excited?

Why are so many people wanting small screens?....4 in?? Does everyone wear skinny jeans or something? What pockets are phones like the current Nexus not fitting in? They fit well in my lab coats, shorts etc. It would be nice to have a choice but 4 in is just too small. I would love to entertain the idea of a Nexus phablet.

It's about for factor and ease of use. I don't want a 4",but 4.3 to 4.5 with no bezel would be a dream come true to many. Big screens require 2 hands to use in many situations and can be just uncomfortable to use. Plus with the stupid thin obsession that the market has, you get stupid amounts of bezel and squared off horrible feeling phones like the razr line. I don't care how big or heavy the phone is on paper, I just want one that is comfortable to hold and use with one hand.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

It's about for factor and ease of use. I don't want a 4",but 4.3 to 4.5 with no bezel would be a dream come true to many. Big screens require 2 hands to use in many situations and can be just uncomfortable to use. Plus with the stupid thin obsession that the market has, you get stupid amounts of bezel and squared off horrible feeling phones like the razr line. I don't care how big or heavy the phone is on paper, I just want one that is comfortable to hold and use with one hand.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Yeah that sums it up. See the more I get into these bigger screens the less I see a purpose for them other than showing off. Android manufacturers missed the point as to why apple used a small screen to begin with. They seemed to look at the iphone and think "that screen is a joke we can do so much better" not realizing there was an ergonomic reason why the screen was small. That being said I don't want a screen that's 3.5 inches but 4 to 4.3 would be perfect, especially one with a small bezel.

I can't vouch for the gs3 but the galaxy nexus does seem to work alright one handed with the large screen because the bezel is so small. I guess 4.7 is alright in those cases but that's the max they should go. And I understand people like the larger screen devices like the note and that's fine just as long as they continue to make smaller screen devices too which is seemingly becoming a problem. The only way to say get a 4 inch android phone these days is to get a craptastic budget minded device with no front camera, an outdated version of android, low screen resolution and no updates ever planned.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Why is everyone hating on 4 inch so much? Everyone was all about the original galaxy s phones. 4 inch isn't a bad size not at all..

Anyway oh well, I am ready to hear more news about these new Nexus devices. I really wanna know more about this rumored galaxy nexus 2 with an sd slot and a better camera. The camera and lack of sd were always my 2 complaints against the device so I'm all about it if it's true.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Why is everyone hating on 4 inch so much? Everyone was all about the original galaxy s phones. 4 inch isn't a bad size not at all..

Anyway oh well, I am ready to hear more news about these new Nexus devices. I really wanna know more about this rumored galaxy nexus 2 with an sd slot and a better camera. The camera and lack of sd were always my 2 complaints against the device so I'm all about it if it's true.

I honestly don't see Google implementing an mSD card slot seeing as no previous Nexus device has had one. I wish they would though, my 18GB of Music on my Droid Razr is gonna have to be condensed if I get a Nexus without an mSD card slot!

The camera will definitely be upgraded and I hope Google in cooperation with which ever manufacturer they choose decide to make this the one part of Android that is not stock! I just can't stand the stock camera app because it offers little software enhancements, I would much rather have the HTC Sense camera app! For the actual sensor I hope they take a few cues from the iPhone and make it absolutely stunning! I'm tired of seeing everyone brag about the iPhone camera quality; we need a good Nexus device with an amazing camera to set the example for all the other OEMs to follow!

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I'd be fine with it if I was on a carrier with unlimited data, as I have all my music on google play music but play music uses a ton of data, and my 3 gig limit just doesn't cut it

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

There is nothing wrong with a 4 inch screen.

And it has nothing to do with the iPhone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

NexusQ

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
My girlfriend has the Nexus S and loves it to death, she thinks the size is perfect, but she wants a better camera on it. She thinks my GN is too big, so hopefully they release a nexus that is roughly the same size as the NS else she has threatened to go to the iphone 5.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Why are so many people wanting small screens?....4 in?? Does everyone wear skinny jeans or something? What pockets are phones like the current Nexus not fitting in? They fit well in my lab coats, shorts etc. It would be nice to have a choice but 4 in is just too small. I would love to entertain the idea of a Nexus phablet.

It's less about being poketable (I can fit my nexus 7 in my pockets) and more about being convenient to use one handed. 4in might be a little small for me but I can see how It would be good for a lot of people. Personally the gnex is just about the upper end of what I would like and would prefer 4.3 to 4.5 inches

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah a 7 inch tablet will easily fit in your pocket, but you can't use it one handed. Honestly 4.3 might be the sweet spot. I find my vivid a bit large at 4.5 but the otterbox commuter I have on it doesn't help

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Guys, I think the days of 4 inch screens are over. The size of the Galaxy Nexus is perfect but then again, everyone is different. Most women I know and guys with little hands :)
like the smaller screens like the iphone but I'm thinking the size of the current Nexus is here to stay. It really is the perfect size for surfing the web, video, reading mail etc.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Anyway on the subject of the LG Nexus, specs are impressive, but there's no way they'll hit the $350 mark with that. Those are basically gs3 specs. Also the storage options suck on it. We get it Google, you hate sd cards, so put an adequate amount of storage on it, 8 and 16 is a joke. 32 is what they should put on it imo

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
A $350 price point isn't that hard to hit for Google and its partner (which ever manufacturer they choose) because the manufacturer and Google don't try to make a killing on profit margins from the actual device. Instead they would rather put out a killer device at a killer price and then make their real money from app purchases, accessories, etc.

When the GNexus was launched it had almost identical specs to the RAZR (it actually had a better screen as well as a bigger form factor) but yet it was and still is sold for hundreds of dollars less than the RAZR.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I excited that most like there will be nexus smarphone this year and that it might be by LG. What I more excited about is hopefully finding out if there will be more than one nexus smartphone. Really want to see the HTC Nexus 5 (if not to big of a device ) or Sony (love the look of Xperia T Line). I am tired of TB and can not see myself wait another year for next line Nexus smartphones. Furthermore I can't see myself settling with any other android phone then a Nexus. I love my Nexus 7 and don't want or see my self getting another tablet and I want to say same for my smartphone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I excited that most like there will be nexus smarphone this year and that it might be by LG. What I more excited about is hopefully finding out if there will be more than one nexus smartphone. Really want to see the HTC Nexus 5 (if not to big of a device ) or Sony (love the look of Xperia T Line). I am tired of TB and can not see myself wait another year for next line Nexus smartphones. Furthermore I can't see myself settling with any other android phone then a Nexus. I love my Nexus 7 and don't want or see my self getting another tablet and I want to say same for my smartphone.

I agree, I really do hope that HTC Nexus 5 rumor is true. I just wish they would be out before Christmas.......early November would be nice.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how much manufacturers have to pay for internal flash storage? Obviously the stuff they use is faster and less prone to failure than an sd card but how much does it actually cost? Everyone is always putting 8 or 16 gigs of flash in and citing "cost cutting measures" but how much more raw cost per unit would it add to a nexuses price to have 32 instead of 16?

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how much manufacturers have to pay for internal flash storage? Obviously the stuff they use is faster and less prone to failure than an sd card but how much does it actually cost? Everyone is always putting 8 or 16 gigs of flash in and citing "cost cutting measures" but how much more raw cost per unit would it add to a nexuses price to have 32 instead of 16?

I think it would be less than what a consumer would pay for a flash drive considering the manufacturer wouldn't have to pay for the extra controllers / connectors (USB 2, USB3, etc) as well as the wouldn't have to design and construct an exterior body instead all they would need is the exposed pins and the raw memory chips so I would say around $0.50 or so. I'm not even sure if it would require a different type of memory because the main reason for consumer flash drive failure is due to not ejecting the drive and also since the flash drives are so portable they get damaged when being transported (I know I throw mine in my backpack with a whole bunch of stuff in there that bangs against it and I also have another drive on my key ring which is absolutely beaten to heck and back). All of these factor's don't impact the performance and reliability as much when put inside a closed device with a hard exterior that will probably only be dropped once or twice (well maybe a few more times, depends on whether you baby your device or not).

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

It will vary based on the quality of memory used but for reference in the nexus 7 it costs $13.50 for 8gb and $21.00 for 16gb source: http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/pages/Low-End-Google-Nexus-7-Carries-$157-BOM-Teardown-Reveals.aspx

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Well in that case there is no excuse. If they release a 32 gig variant I'm sold, otherwise I'll pass.

Edit: looks like the so called galaxy nexus 2 might be some half assed Samsung Galaxy phone, that is immensely disappointing...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FerretPhone