New S7 Edge - is this phone good? Is there a case that is actually good?

VanBCguy

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I have had S3s for years and loved them. I had Otterbox Defender cases on them and loved the sense of touch, well designed, blah blah blah.

I know the Defender case isn't available for the S7 Edge and besides not being able to find a sturdy case that looks like it will actually protect something, I HATE the rolling edge of the Edge screen. How do people even use these phones without activating other apps, programs, etc? I used it briefly last night and every time I thought I'd activated Y, in fact I'd activated X. I counted last night the numebr of time my hand was simply hovering above an app icon and that app actually launched. No "touchy feely" required.

What are other S7 Edge user experiences? Are they as bad as mine? Should I return the phone for the more traditional edged S7?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Otterbox has cases for the Edge - Galaxy S7 edge Cases and Covers from OtterBox | OtterBox

The problem isn't the case, it's the glass itself. If it's not perfectly annealed (and that means to within about 1°C and within a couple of seconds, all along the annealing curve) there are going to be stresses in the curve that may eventually cause it to crack or break - without your doing anything. (We've had reports of Edge screens breaking while sitting on a table undisturbed for long periods.)

VanBCguy

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I was told I could return the phone but as with most retailers these days, their customer service is horrible and I'm now stuck with the S7 Edge and Otterbox Commuter case.

It's HORRIBLE! I can't count how many times in one day I mistakenly hit the edge of the screen which cancels what I'm doing and activates something else.

Samsung: HUGE fail
Otterbox: Fail because you did the best with the case EXCEPT you didn't notch the sides for a belt clip.

louzer

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Check out the Supcase Unicorn Beetle Pro with holster. Also the new Zagg tempered glass screen protector for the S7 Edge.

Posted via the Android Central App on the edge

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I was told I could return the phone but as with most retailers these days, their customer service is horrible and I'm now stuck with the S7 Edge and Otterbox Commuter case.

It's HORRIBLE! I can't count how many times in one day I mistakenly hit the edge of the screen which cancels what I'm doing and activates something else.

Otterbox: Fail because you did the best with the case EXCEPT you didn't notch the sides for a belt clip.

Where did you get it and how long was the return period? That is weird. I've never had a problem returning a phone or anything ever.

Posted via the Android Central App

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I have had S3s for years and loved them. I had Otterbox Defender cases on them and loved the sense of touch, well designed, blah blah blah.

I know the Defender case isn't available for the S7 Edge and besides not being able to find a sturdy case that looks like it will actually protect something, I HATE the rolling edge of the Edge screen. How do people even use these phones without activating other apps, programs, etc? I used it briefly last night and every time I thought I'd activated Y, in fact I'd activated X. I counted last night the numebr of time my hand was simply hovering above an app icon and that app actually launched. No "touchy feely" required.

What are other S7 Edge user experiences? Are they as bad as mine? Should I return the phone for the more traditional edged S7?

Spigen wallet case, Zagg HD. No problem. You know you're really meant to use your HANDS!

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

Why did you even get it without trying it out at the store first?

Meh. You get used to it and learn to hold it differently. You know that the corners are part of the screen, hence you life your hand more over the screen.

TomBrooklyn

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
It's hard to hold on to this phone without a case, too. It feels very easy to drop. I just got it and have a case ordered.

I find, due to the edge, I hit the backspace key a lot while texting. I expect to get better at avoiding that once I get a case on it; and get used to a different way to hold it maybe.

VanBCguy

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Why did you even get it without trying it out at the store first?

I don't know where you are, but here in Canada, we're not allowed to test/use a working phone. Just a mock turned off one that's tethered to a table. Cell stores make us feel like thieving children up here.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't know where you are, but here in Canada, we're not allowed to test/use a working phone. Just a mock turned off one that's tethered to a table. Cell stores make us feel like thieving children up here.
Yeah, but once you buy it at the store, aren't you allowed to inspect and try thw product before actually taking it out of the store? I mean you can inspect it right then and there for possible damage out of the box.

tribbleorlfl

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I HATE the rolling edge of the Edge screen. How do people even use these phones without activating other apps, programs, etc? I used it briefly last night and every time I thought I'd activated Y, in fact I'd activated X.
So, when you say you inadvertantly activated X when you thought you had activated Y, do you mean you tried selecting an app icon on the homescreen but another app opened instead, or you tried selecting an app but the edge panel popped up instead?

I've never has a problem with the first scenario, but I was constantly inadvertantly activating the edge panel when I first got it. The problem is our of the box, the edge activation area is quite large and centered in the middle of the right side reenactors edge. In the edge settings, I shrank the size of the activation area and moved it further up the phone. Don't have that problem anymore.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
So, when you say you inadvertantly activated X when you thought you had activated Y, do you mean you tried selecting an app icon on the homescreen but another app opened instead, or you tried selecting an app but the edge panel popped up instead?

I've never has a problem with the first scenario, but I was constantly inadvertantly activating the edge panel when I first got it. The problem is our of the box, the edge activation area is quite large and centered in the middle of the right side reenactors edge. In the edge settings, I shrank the size of the activation area and moved it further up the phone. Don't have that problem anymore.
Depends. Out of the box the edge panel on my phone was at the right and I hold the phone on the left hand so no accidental edge panel activation there. But initially, sometimes I want to open an app, but my palm presses on the edge, and the app icon closest to the edge is activated instead of the one I'm trying to tap with my finger. I gor used to that and it rarely happens anymore. Changed the way I hold the phone a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord