New software update: VRALHE

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I am stock rooted but for some reason this time the update wont stick. It has updated OTA the previous two times. I hope I dont have to unroot just to install this update. I keep getting a red triangle everytime I try the update. Any ideas?

If you have a custom recovery installed, it definitely won't work (in fact I highly advise against it). Even if not, running an OTA on a rooted device is always known to cause a lot of issues. Sometimes people get lucky and it works, but it's still not a good idea.

Unless you have a specific need to fix one of the issues laid out in the changelog, this update doesn't even seem worth worrying about, IMO.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Is anyone here still on F2? I have had no issues what so ever with my phone, so I have not updated any OTA updates. I am not going to "fix" what is not broken. The updates to date seem so minor that I am not going to risk "introducing" problems on my phone.

I'm still running CleanROM 2.1 (based off of G1) with the G7 radios. I also have nothing "broke" ... so I refuse to fix it.

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
has anyone seen any additional fixes?

i did notice that it was always a problem sending pictures i've taken at 8MP...they would never send. i do not have this issue since the HE update

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Just updated mine. So far, so good. But I wasn't having any problems before the update.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

twilite2000

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
As I am only a noob here. I posted on another thread about this very issue which I had stated I thought VZW had control over. This service is only opened by VZW when updates were available. Thought I would only become concerned when I couldn't get the latest update. Which I'm glad I didn't panic. When I saw this thread and saw an update was available I went on my S3 and it worked. I didn't get the usual "to check for system updates go to settings > about device when service is available" I didn't even need a new sim card. I would sure like to hear from others who had they same issue as I and didn't replace the sim and if the update worked. Just curious. Thanks for this wonderful forum it's so helpful

Little help every time I checked for the update I just get this message "to check for system updates go to settings > about device when service is available" anybody else know what the fix is for this?

The amazing galaxy s3 :D

rockhopperGS3

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
My phone has been saying the update service unavailable since the last update and I didnt want to have to get a new sim, but I tried today and it worked. To those of you who thought you had to get a new sim, you didnt need to, I guess you wasted your time.

markespo55

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
YES. I'm actually surprised yours went OK the first time. If you've just rooted the stock OS with no changes, it will probably work fine, however if you've installed a custom recovery (as most root tutorials will have to do), you run a very high risk of soft-bricking the device. Take the advice on these forums and disable the OTA updates. Remember, with root comes great responsibility, including managing your devices updates yourself.

They should all be synced to your Google account. If you don't sync with your Google account (or at least some other service like Verizon Backup Assistant*), then let this be a lesson to you: don't ever keep your important data in only one place!

*don't use Verizon Backup Assistant...seriously, just sync your contacts with your Google account.

That's what I usually do. I've had over 20 android devices and I haven't had a problem what so ever with my contacts. It just syncs with my Google account. I had Verizon Backup Assistant and tried that but nothing would sync. Only 4 contacts.

Dark Guitar Lord

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I just updated my S3 this morning after waiting a couple of days and reading some feedback. So far I didn't lose any contacts and the Play store is still there. If anything changes throughout the day I will report back. So far, so good.

Built4Comfort

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have been getting the No Service response repeatedly. Last night had my girlfriend check her S3 and it updated with no trouble. I figured a trip to the VZ store was needed. This morning I tried again and this time it connected and downloaded without issue. Now when I click on About etc. it tells me no new software is available.I have no idea what is going on. For the moment, at least, I seem good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniel45