New Upgrade Fees

PewterL31

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
That's the point they don't want you to upgrade as fast so they take less of a hit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
But each time you upgrade they lock you in for two more years. Which means they are billing you for close to two thousand dollars over that time period (only for service, not including what you actually pay for the phone). Even if they subsidize 500 bucks of that, that still leaves 750 bucks a year they are taking in from you. How much of that is profit, not sure, but, they are still making a good amount of money by making you lock in. I wouldn't say they are really taking a hit.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That's the point they don't want you to upgrade as fast so they take less of a hit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Verizon once told me these phones cost $800+ to manufacturer. We all know these phones cost less than $200 to produce so I'm not even going to consider Verizon losing money.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Fryguy128

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Verizon once told me these phones cost $800+ to manufacturer. We all know these phones cost less than $200 to produce so I'm not even going to consider Verizon losing money.

Even worse is they're more like under $100 to make.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know what the "activation fee" is for?

This, supposedly.

"This fee will help us continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect which includes Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever."

I call BS on that.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This, supposedly.

"This fee will help us continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect which includes Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever."

I call BS on that.

Sadly, while these devices are more complicated than ever, that doesn't mean the representatives know how to use them! I will do my hardest to demand the fee be dropped and even offer to be "blacklisted" from these worthless services. I may sound like a whiner, but if your reason to charge me is that lame, I will do without those "services". This must be Verizon's sneaky way around that $2 "non-automatic" payment charge that they were forced to let go due to feedback.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, while these devices are more complicated than ever, that doesn't mean the representatives know how to use them! I will do my hardest to demand the fee be dropped and even offer to be "blacklisted" from these worthless services. I may sound like an , but if your reason to charge me is that lame, I will do without those "services".

Agreed, they are, and agreed, they don't. I'm with you on getting them to drop the fee, however, I find it unlikely that we'll get anywhere with it. And, they'll never agree to anything like blacklisting you from those services. But, regardless, the whole thing is a scam anyway. They aren't going to funnel all the funds from the fee to develop services like this. It's just another way for them to make more money. As I stated earlier, they just should have raised the price of the phones and people probably would have never known.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, they are, and agreed, they don't. I'm with you on getting them to drop the fee, however, I find it unlikely that we'll get anywhere with it. And, they'll never agree to anything like blacklisting you from those services. But, regardless, the whole thing is a scam anyway. They aren't going to funnel all the funds from the fee to develop services like this. It's just another way for them to make more money. As I stated earlier, they just should have raised the price of the phones and people probably would have never known.

Probably not, but I won't sit there and accept it. I will make a scene to a point without being disrespectful if needed. I'm not there to make a representatives life miserable because its not their fault but I will not pay for training courses and the great privilege of telling a Verizon representative how to do their job and why what their saying is wrong and no where close. Its moments like this that remind me of that quote from Billy Madison where he takes place in the Academic Bowl.

Question asker: "Mr Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Billy:"Ok, a simple wrong would have done just fine."

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Lol, nice. That is a great quote.

I agree, and, completely understand. You'll at least maybe get your point slightly more across if you do that venting to a supervisor though. No sense in chewing out a first line CSR.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Lol, nice. That is a great quote.

I agree, and, completely understand. You'll at least maybe get your point slightly more across if you do that venting to a supervisor though. No sense in chewing out a first line CSR.

That would be the plan.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is in the business of making money. If you don't like their fees, go elsewhere.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is in the business of making money. If you don't like their fees, go elsewhere.

Obviously, but to mask these fees as such will allow me to argue it out. Its simple, why not? I don't use those worthless "features" and thus I will do my best to fight it. I am nearly 100% positive I can have the fee waived whether in store or by calling customer service. One way or another, Verizon will eat the fee.

I'm just a smart consumer. Its not like Verizon is the cheapest provider out there. I pay more for excellent service but I won't pay more for something like a workshop so some other customer can use it. Charge them extra at the time or workshop, not us.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Obviously, but to mask these fees as such will allow me to argue it out. Its simple, why not? I don't use those worthless "features" and thus I will do my best to fight it. I am nearly 100% positive I can have the fee waived whether in store or by calling customer service. One way or another, Verizon will eat the fee.

I'm just a smart consumer. Its not like Verizon is the cheapest provider out there. I pay more for excellent service but I won't pay more for something like a workshop so some other customer can use it. Charge them extra at the time or workshop, not us.

I find it doubtful that we'll be able to get the fee waived, but, it's worth a shot.

I'm with you man. Sure, you could let your money do the talking, like Ry said, but, if you like a business, it's worth it to get in contact with them when you aren't happy with them. It would be foolish not to try. I contact businesses frequently, and, generally it yields great results. This one I don't think I'll win, but, it's worth trying.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I agree. Everyone should try to get this fee waived when it's time for them to upgrade. Arguing with a rep about it when it's not time to upgrade won't get anyone anywhere, unless you threaten to leave. And if you threaten to leave, be prepared to follow through.

My advice for everyone is to fight this fee when it's time. If you can't get it waived, you have to options: pay it or walk away from Verizon. Speak with your wallet.

You pay them a monthly fee for cell service. They give you service. That's the extent of the relationship. You don't owe them anything extra. They don't owe you anything extra. Be prepared with talking points like how long you've been a customer and if any of those 4G outages greatly affected you (I'd even be prepared with specific dates).

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The fee is stupid. They already charge $350 for cancelling service. I think we should get a discount for all their crap on the phones. Like VZW backup assistant, VS navigator and other stupid VZW crap. If they allow us to uninstall that crap then ill agree to the fees.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Just stop and think how much it costs Verizon to train those experts.

In store experts have to be trained to say "now the first thing you want to do is install a task killer on that".

Online experts have to be trained to say "Ok let's try a factory reset".

$30 seems pretty cheap for that level of expertise.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Just stop and think how much it costs Verizon to train those experts.

In store experts have to be trained to say "now the first thing you want to do is install a task killer on that".

Online experts have to be trained to say "Ok let's try a factory reset".

$30 seems pretty cheap for that level of expertise.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Why didn't I think of that!!! Lol, but really. When I call, the first thing I say is the steps I've taken. All that's left is for them to send me a replacement at that point.

See, I saved their experts time so they can help someone who needs it. That's gotta be worth something!

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Whenever I have an issue, they will say do a factory reset. I have asked, when your computer has an issue, do you reformat, they say "no". Then they don't plan on doing more troubleshooting until I do a reset. It's annoying as hell. I have never once had an issue go away because of a factory reset. I remember my BB9950 had issues with the earpiece and they always ask for a factory reset. I always ask what does software have to do with hardware. They never give an answer. They are dumb as rocks.
Out of all the times I have had issues, I had one rep that said she knew of the issue and is sending a replacement out. No reset done, nothing. I told her my issue and within minutes, she had one put on order for me and I told her about how I always get asked to do a master reset, she just said "it's hardware, nothing to do with the OS or software or anything that the user can do".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjustink1984