Nexus 10 going to sleep while streaming Google Play Music

happybuddha

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Anyone having issues with the Nexus 10 going into sleep mode while streaming music?

I'm streaming from Google Play Music via Wi-Fi and I can't figure out how to prevent the N10 from going into sleep mode and once it goes to sleep, the music stops.

The app permission states that it prevents the tablet from sleeping and I don't see any sleep settings within the app. Also, the maximum sleep setting on the N10 is 30 minutes so I can't even work around the issue and that's the longest amount of time I can listen to music continuously.

I don't see an option to uninstall the Play Music app so it appears I can't reinstall the app.

Any ideas?

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Well I know mine does not as I was streaming music while painting my son's room [Hooray for lock screen widget]

.Could it be you have the wi-fi set to switch off when the tablet sleeps? that would prevent music from streaming. Check Settings>wifi> menu[3 dots in upper right]>advanced>Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Anyone having issues with the Nexus 10 going into sleep mode while streaming music?

I'm streaming from Google Play Music via Wi-Fi and I can't figure out how to prevent the N10 from going into sleep mode and once it goes to sleep, the music stops.

The app permission states that it prevents the tablet from sleeping and I don't see any sleep settings within the app. Also, the maximum sleep setting on the N10 is 30 minutes so I can't even work around the issue and that's the longest amount of time I can listen to music continuously.

I don't see an option to uninstall the Play Music app so it appears I can't reinstall the app.

Any ideas?
You may have to do a factory reset. Uggh.

Sent from my Nexus 4

happybuddha

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Well I know mine does not as I was streaming music while painting my son's room [Hooray for lock screen widget]

.Could it be you have the wi-fi set to switch off when the tablet sleeps? that would prevent music from streaming. Check Settings>wifi> menu[3 dots in upper right]>advanced>Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep

I remember checking the Wi-Fi settings a while back as you suggested but i went ahead and checked again and it is set to stay on in sleep mode.

I assume a factory reset wipes out all the downloaded files and apps?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I assume a factory reset wipes out all the downloaded files and apps?

Well, yes. But if you back up any files to your PC first you should be able to re-download your apps when setting up the device after a reset. If you have music on there, make sure you either back that up to your PC or sync it to the Google cloud first.

happybuddha

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, yes. But if you back up any files to your PC first you should be able to re-download your apps when setting up the device after a reset. If you have music on there, make sure you either back that up to your PC or sync it to the Google cloud first.

I did the factory reset and nothing changed but I did find out something new. The issue only occurs when I use the mini HDMI port. If I don't have the tablet connected to an external source, the music keeps playing into sleep mode. If I connect using a HDMI cable, the music stops immediately when the screen blacks out.

My first thought was that it was a port issue and I could select to keep the port active in sleep mode but I dont see any port settings anywhere. Then I realized when I stream Netflix the N10 never goes into sleep mode so maybe it's an app / Play Music issue?

Can anyone confirm if their N10 stops playing music in sleep mode when connected via HDMI?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Does it also do that when streaming music through the speakers instead of headphones? If not, I am thinking bug with the HDMI port in The Play Music app.

happybuddha

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Does it also do that when streaming music through the speakers instead of headphones? If not, I am thinking bug with the HDMI port in The Play Music app.

When I have the HDMI cable plugged in to either a TV or stereo receiver, the Nexus 10 speakers are disabled and both the external speakers (TV or stereo) and Nexus 10 speakers stop playing once the screen blacks out. I've tried this on two different branded TV's and one receiver with the same results.

If the TV or stereo is turned off, or if the HDMI port the N10 is connected to is disabled, the music keeps playing into sleep mode through the N10 speakers regardless if the HDMI cable is plugged in our not.

It would appear to me, since the N10 doesn't go into sleep mode while streaming Netflix, the mini HDMI port on the N10 gets disabled once it goes into sleep mode. Therefore, either Google Play Music needs to have an option to prevent the N10 from sleeping or the HDMI port needs to remain active in sleep mode. OR my N10 is malfunctioning.

Would be great if someone could play music with Google Play Music via the mini HDMI port and confirm how it works for them.

happybuddha

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I will try to check this evening as I don't have an micro HDMi cable at work.

At home I don't stream music to the TV via HDMi as it seems it would shorten the life of the screen. I go bluetooth to my reciever using a device like this: Amazon.com: Belkin F8Z492TTP Bluetooth Music Receiver: Electronics.

I'm sure there are newer better models out there as well.

Will be good to hear how it worked for you.

Just ordered a Pioneer Bluetooth module for my receiver but it would be good to have the wired option for other external devices.

Thanks.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Will be good to hear how it worked for you.

Just ordered a Pioneer Bluetooth module for my receiver but it would be good to have the wired option for other external devices.

Thanks.

My apologies, I forgot my Son had a friend spend the night so it completely slipped my mind to test the micro HDMi I will try again tonight.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the delay. I can confirm it as well and I do not think it is app related. Seems when the screen sleeps it kills the port. You can change the sleep intervals, but only up to 30 minutes so that is not much help. The only other current option I see is to go into the Developer settings and check the box to prevent sleeping when charging. At least you can plug in the charger at the same time to get around it. Suggest you report it as a bug.

Update: I have reported it. Issue# is 57589 https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=57589

Last edited:

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Another thought: do you have the Lock screen Music widget set up and running?

Since that doesn't have any effect on when using headphones I do not think that is the issue. It would be helpful if someone reading this here also had another device with a HDMI port to see if it is 4.2.2 specific or device specific....

happybuddha

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the delay. I can confirm it as well and I do not think it is app related. Seems when the screen sleeps it kills the port. You can change the sleep intervals, but only up to 30 minutes so that is not much help. The only other current option I see is to go into the Developer settings and check the box to prevent sleeping when charging. At least you can plug in the charger at the same time to get around it. Suggest you report it as a bug.

Update: I have reported it. Issue# is 57589 https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=57589

Thanks for confirming that this is a universal issue with the Nexus 10. Hopefully there will be a resolution. I have started using Bluetooth with no issues but that may not always be available.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, seems this continues on 4.3. I have noticed that Google Play Music will not sleep the screen unless you tell it to which is somewhat helpful. But if you kill the screen while still plugged in it will stop the app and the HDMI feed. If you restart the app and then sleep the screen without HDMI plugged in the music will still play through the speakers. Connecting the HDMI cable at this point will stop the app.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm beginning to wonder if they consider this a 'feature'. So that if someone comes along while you are viewing something via HDMI and you don't want them to see it, powering off the screen/ closing the cover is safer/quicker than yanking the cord.

Screen time out might be a legal protection: ?Your Honor the Nexus 10 does not support piracy, see how our screen goes to sleep at least once every half hour without user input?