Nexus 5X vs Xperia Z5 vs Lg G4

king_e

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking to replace my iPhone 5s within the next month or so (although I'm in no rush) and am looking to jump the ship to android. Besides the battery and the mediocre camera, I'm actually quite happy with my device, so I'd like to see a big improvement when I upgrade. The devices I've been looking at are the xperia z5, lg g4 and the nexus 5x, priced at $650, $700 and $560 respectively outright (prices were taken from the Bell store for the Sony and LG, and the google store for the nexus). I'm kind of apprehensive about buying such a large phone, but I guess my puny hands will have to deal with it.

My main reasons for choosing these phones in particular:
Nexus 5x
-Reasonable size
-6.0 Marshmallow and future android updates
-stock android
-fingerprint scanner
-not a bad price for a flagship
Xperia z5
-Expandable storage
-Good battery life
-decent camera
-fingerprint scanner
-water/dust resistance
-most "premium" feeling
LG g4
-Removable battery (could keep the phone for at least 3 years)
-Expandable storage
-great camera

The lack of the fingerprint scanner is a big deal for me since I've become so accustomed to it on my 5S. Any thoughts or suggestions? Is the extra 100-150$ justified for Xperia and LG device? And what about battery life? The potential longevity of the devices?

Thanks in advance. :)

SteveyAsp

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 5x isn't a flagship.....not sure you can compare the 3.
It depends what's important to you, camera, battery life or timely updates.
The G4 camera is brilliant, the standby time for battery is fantastic but when in use the Quad HD screen drains the battery quickly
The Nexus is an adequate all rounder which doesn't excel in any level but does the job
I can't comment on the Z5 as I've not owned one

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, I just got my 5X a few days ago. Not going to take it out of the house just yet as I am without a case, so I will refrain from saying anything about the battery. Size is more comfortable than the G4, which is my outgoing daily driver. I paid about $455 for the 32 5X after taxes.

Overall, i find the G4 quite a bit cumbersome to use. I will say this, I prefer to use devices with one hand unless absolutely necessary. Screens on both the G4 and 5X are near equal in regard to sharpness/clarity. I have a very, very slight reddish tint to pure white screens, making the whites look off white. The closest color I can think of is a very subtle cream color.

I am personally excited to start using my 5X. I have grown very used to Vanilla Android, and the UI that LG has can take some getting used to. I think, honestly, the best way to go is with the Nexus.

king_e

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I have heard mixed reviews one the performance of the Nexus 5x. How has it been so far for you? Do you think the "measly" 2 GB of RAM will affect how future proof the device will be in, say 2 or 3 years. If I am dropping around $700-800 (after taxes) on a flagship phone I'd like it to comfortably last me 3 years. Battery longevity is always a concern as well, especially on the 5X. Removable battery is the only reason I'm considering the LG g4 if I'm being honest.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
My issue with Sony is the display. Bland/Dull.

LG had this problem with the G3 but was fixed when they released the G4.

The 5X is by LG it's a safe bet. Basically an upgraded G4 with Marshmallow. :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have heard mixed reviews one the performance of the Nexus 5x. How has it been so far for you? Do you think the "measly" 2 GB of RAM will affect how future proof the device will be in, say 2 or 3 years. If I am dropping around $700-800 (after taxes) on a flagship phone I'd like it to comfortably last me 3 years. Battery longevity is always a concern as well, especially on the 5X. Removable battery is the only reason I'm considering the LG g4 if I'm being honest.

No matter what,any battery will degrade in as quickly as a year. Now, this isn't major. I noticed battery degradation in a little over a year on my M8. And that was noticing that my habits didn't change, but had a lower battery charge at the end of my day. It was by a consistent 10%, but still noticeable. If you want something to last as long as possible then the G4 may be it. Buy a couple extra batteries now, while they are available.

king_e

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I love my z5. It is really nice but take a look at the LG v10

How's has your Z5 been? Any overheating issues (especially if it could be detrimental to battery life)? Is the camera any good? And how about that battery?

The V10 has a lot of big features (removable battery, SD card, fingerprint scanner) but I find it very gimmicky and also way too big to be wieldly. If it were to come to Canada, it would probably be way too expensive as well.

Can't wait until the 5X and Z5 demo units come to the Bell store so I can test them out. :D

howie

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Battery life is pretty good for me. I stream music while at work, text a lot via my android wear, email, surf the Web on breaks and lunch, take a few pics a day (no videos though) and no overheating more than my S6 Moto x pure or other recent devices. Many reviews are hard on the camera but I have no big complaints

king_e

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
The Oneplus X has become a very compelling option as well... If it had a fingerprint scanner it would be perfect, especially considering the 329$ price tag. It's half the price of the Z5 and very similar; I'd have a hard time justifying the extra 350$.

king_e

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I can get a 64GB samsung s6 edge for around $600 no taxes which is cheaper than all three of the other options brand new. Should I get that rather than the xperia z5? I'm mostly concerned with the mediocre/poor battery life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
menblattcard