Nexus 6 fetish?

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I still like my N6 enough to not crave another...there is always some weakness (IMHO) with the new phones that would annoy me greatly...(USB c, no wireless charging, price$$ !) (Did I mention price? ) I'm just going to stick with buying flagships at least a year late...Since the N5 spec wise the phones I've had are fine... I only replace them cause I'm bored and the price has come down.

Posted via Serenity

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I still like my N6 enough to not crave another...there is always some weakness (IMHO) with the new phones that would annoy me greatly...(USB c, no wireless charging, price$$ !) (Did I mention price? ) I'm just going to stick with buying flagships at least a year late...Since the N5 spec wise the phones I've had are fine... I only replace them cause I'm bored and the price has come down.

Posted via Serenity
I so agree with you. I have also resigned to just buying the previous year's model. I see so much sense in this. Price is usually cut in half, all the accessories are available and also discounted, devices are a lot easier to find, all the software bugs are usually taken care of, hardware issues are addressed, and you have a years worth of reviews and testimonials about the device to consider. Love this concept.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I really like the 6P, but no wireless charging kills it for me. Also don't want to upgrade cables and adapters yet. Plus worried that the camera won't seem as solid in low light with lack of OIS.

Only complaints on N6 are the curved back (I use a bumper case that helps), cheap plastic on back (covered with skin), and always looking for a better camera. So I am totally satisfied with N6 for now, but really hope that the next large Nexus checks all the boxes.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
For reference: Nexus 6 @ 2.7GHz

You can't compare clock speeds across different chips and architectures. The Nexus 6's SD805 was a quad core 32bit processor where the SD808 and 810 (and 820 for that matter) are 64bit. In general, 64 bit processors have much lower clock speeds.. but even so, there is zero commonality between the 32bit Krait 450 cores in the 805 and either the A57/A53 cores in the 808/810 or the Kryo cores in the 820.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Plus worried that the camera won't seem as solid in low light with lack of OIS.

This is a nighttime HDR+ shot with the 6P, first full frame, second a 100 crop. There is blur, but blur to do the characters dancing (which OIS will not help in any way) and the fact that the barge is moving. I have nearly the exact same picture (same time nearly the same angle) with the OIS-equipt G4 and the G4's shot looks like hot garbage compared to this (the 6 would have been a non-starter since it really struggles in light conditions this low). It was pitch black in the outdoor amphitheater... crazy lighting, lots of movement.

IMG_20160221_192539 (1).jpg

IMG_20160221_192539 100.jpg

The impact that the lack of OIS has on still pictures is way overblown... After taking tons of pictures with OIS and non-OIS phones, I haven't seen any difference. OIS WILL have an effect on video though.

Look, the Nexus 6 is a really good phone... I had it for over a year and really enjoyed using it. When the 6P came out, I mulled it over for weeks (the other AC ambassadors can attest to this) but in the end I bought the 6P. The 6 was and continues to be an excellent phone, especially for the value that the current prices inject into the equation. I am not saying that the 6 is junk, nor that you shouldn't buy one if given the opportunity, but the 6P is superior in near every facet.

I am posting here as a former user (and huge fan) of the Nexus 6... If I didn't have my 6P, I would still be using the 6.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm one of the ones who persuaded him to get it. I stand guilty of the charge of coercion to buy a new phone.

I can also second this since I bought the 6P and kept telling him how awesome it was .. And told him to hurry up and spend his money. :cool:

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
You can't compare clock speeds across different chips and architectures. The Nexus 6's SD805 was a quad core 32bit processor where the SD808 and 810 (and 820 for that matter) are 64bit. In general, 64 bit processors have much lower clock speeds.. but even so, there is zero commonality between the 32bit Krait 450 cores in the 805 and either the A57/A53 cores in the 808/810 or the Kryo cores in the 820.

Other then the fact they both run the same OS speedily....and actually faster running cores on old architecture are very often faster then slower cores on new tech. This due to the fact that software isn't utilising the tech...

Posted via Serenity

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The nexus 6 was/is a great device. I loved it but retruned it due to the constant auto focus searching problems when with shooting videos. The 6p is clearly better than the 5x. Better build, amoled screen, front facing speakers. The only reason to get a 5x over the 6p is if you like tiny screens.

Craig Stannard

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
I am really starting to understand the love this phone gets. I like the idea of the direct pipeline for updates, but am wondering why I am still on MMB29V, which I understood was the March update.

Does the fact that I unlocked the bootloader, installed TWRP and rooted it mean I can't get the updates now?

Yup! You now have to manually flash.

Posted via the Android Central App

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Everything points to the Nexus 6P having a killer camera.
That is big. really big.
Came close to having me buy one just for the camera.
While the Nexus 6 camera is OK, it is showing it's age.
Truth being it wasn't the best out there at launch.
With luck Nexus line will improve on 6P camera with Next Nexus.
We will see.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The only reason to get a 5x over the 6p is if you like tiny screens.

Or lighter, cheaper, better screen accuracy in default mode, like IPS displays over amoled (because you're crazy), like the ice color and/or price :) But I use the 6p and 5x as my daily drivesr, so I can be equal parts crazy on everything at once.

joensgi

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Last week my Nexus 6 felt to the floor twice, and my initial thought was 'What the f*** am I going to buy if it does not work anymore?'
Luckily everything was fine.
I must admit that the Nexus 6P is tempting, even more with the recent Google Store discounts, but I am not sure.
My Nexus 6, my precious....

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Last week my Nexus 6 felt to the floor twice, and my initial thought was 'What the f*** am I going to buy if it does not work anymore?'
Luckily everything was fine.
I must admit that the Nexus 6P is tempting, even more with the recent Google Store discounts, but I am not sure.
My Nexus 6, my precious....
To be honest, if my Nexus 6 were to break I would be tempted to replace it with another.

moke

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
One point that seems to be overlooked is Project Fi.

How likely is it that one of the three phones capable of working on Fi would be killed off at this point.

Yes, it will happen in time I am sure, but not until there are additional options for handsets in my opinion.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, if my Nexus 6 were to break I would be tempted to replace it with another.

Me too. Except that I'm broke and can't afford another one. I would make do with my Moto E (my backup phone that I got for $25) until I saved up for another one. But truth be told, I don't do anything that requires a top spec phone. I just like having a top phone because I can.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
One point that seems to be overlooked is Project Fi.

How likely is it that one of the three phones capable of working on Fi would be killed off at this point.

Yes, it will happen in time I am sure, but not until there are additional options for handsets in my opinion.

Why would they "kill off" one of the Nexii on Project Fi? As long as the Fi protocol remains the same, any Nexus should work indefinitely on Project Fi. I think you're confusing getting updates with cell service, which are 2 totally different subjects. It would make no sense to refuse someone cell service (aka a paying customer) because of the phone they use.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well.. .the Nexus 6 should get OS updates at least through N... and security updates for a maybe a year after that. They only ceased updating the Nexus 4, on 5.1.1, in October. As to how long it'll work on Fi, that's a big unknown since every device that has supported Fi STILL supports Fi, so we don't know that the EOL strategy is at the moment.

Erik Johnson3

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Phone will be updated until fall 2017. What more do you want. Hardly at the end for updates.

Posted via Nexus 6 running on any data plan I want

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrussellcampbell