Nexus 6P - Camera App Discussion

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Camera App Discussion

Snapseed can't open the dng file produced ont he 6P. :(
that doesn't make sense all DNG files are made equal. I would double check that you on a update version of Snapseed.
Actually I could open the file from a file explore I had to open them directly from snapseed.

GreetingsFromAP

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site

Do any of the recording modes support 60fps? I am guessing they do not since it isn't mentioned anywhere.

Does the 6p support HDR video? I am also assuming no. Although I just recorded some video in sun & shade using the 6p and an s6 active. I used 1920 X 1080 resolution and on the s6 I selected 30fps. Noticeable difference between HDR on and HDR off on the s6. The 6p, while no special HDR processing from what I could tell, it still appeared more "dynamic" than the system with HDR turned off. I'll post the video for comparison later

I'm trying to understand smart burst. Not much info on it. It reminds me of Samsung's Shot and More mode, albeit better implemented. If I have smart burst off but auto generate creations turned on, the 6p will keep taking pictures. I got up to 47 and I assume it would keep going. With smart burst on, it will take 8 max. If I keep holding down the shutter, the 6p may decide to replace one of the 8 with a newer picture. In either case an auto generated creation only seems to occur when smart burst is on. I've yet to see an auto creation with smart burst off. Makes me think that auto generate should be grayed out if smart burst is turned off. Smart burst off is the only way to get more than 8 photos. When auto creations work, it often creates an animation, but I've gotten only a few auto collages. Creation appears to occur on the phone and not Google servers. Animations are very choppy only seeming to be about 8 frames. Like I said no auto animation when smart burst is off, so no auto 30 frame loops. Also is HDR being used on the photos in a smart burst sequence?

Software video stabilization seems pretty legit. Used it while walking a trail and it reduced the jumping a of walking down to a slow sway at most. I also did a similar walk with hardware ois on my s6. I think it will be stable enough for me, but HDR or 60fps would be nice.

One last thing I noticed. When using double tap home button to open camera, if you have your finger on the fingerprint button, it will open unlocked. Works fine if you hit it after opening the app. A bit annoying if the phone was already unlocked, but it's a workaround. It should be really addressable in a future software update.

Posted via the Android Central App

RiseUpGames

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site

Do any of the recording modes support 60fps? I am guessing they do not since it isn't mentioned anywhere.

Does the 6p support HDR video? I am also assuming no. Although I just recorded some video in sun & shade using the 6p and an s6 active. I used 1920 X 1080 resolution and on the s6 I selected 30fps. Noticeable difference between HDR on and HDR off on the s6. The 6p, while no special HDR processing from what I could tell, it still appeared more "dynamic" than the system with HDR turned off. I'll post the video for comparison later

I'm trying to understand smart burst. Not much info on it. It reminds me of Samsung's Shot and More mode, albeit better implemented. If I have smart burst off but auto generate creations turned on, the 6p will keep taking pictures. I got up to 47 and I assume it would keep going. With smart burst on, it will take 8 max. If I keep holding down the shutter, the 6p may decide to replace one of the 8 with a newer picture. In either case an auto generated creation only seems to occur when smart burst is on. I've yet to see an auto creation with smart burst off. Makes me think that auto generate should be grayed out if smart burst is turned off. Smart burst off is the only way to get more than 8 photos. When auto creations work, it often creates an animation, but I've gotten only a few auto collages. Creation appears to occur on the phone and not Google servers. Animations are very choppy only seeming to be about 8 frames. Like I said no auto animation when smart burst is off, so no auto 30 frame loops. Also is HDR being used on the photos in a smart burst sequence?

Software video stabilization seems pretty legit. Used it while walking a trail and it reduced the jumping a of walking down to a slow sway at most. I also did a similar walk with hardware ois on my s6. I think it will be stable enough for me, but HDR or 60fps would be nice.

One last thing I noticed. When using double tap home button to open camera, if you have your finger on the fingerprint button, it will open unlocked. Works fine if you hit it after opening the app. A bit annoying if the phone was already unlocked, but it's a workaround. It should be really addressable in a future software update.

The ability to record 60fps or higher video was only add via official APIs in Android 6.0, so it's going to take a bit for devs (like myself) to bring it to our apps. HDR video requires special hardware, something only newer Samsung devices have, and the proper APIs, which Android does not have (but Samsung's exclusive SDK does).

jbsjbs

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

Can someone report on what resolution options are available in the default camera app? I'm aware I can reduce the size and I'm aware there's plenty of storage but I take thousands of purely record keeping pics each month (arriving and departing a client site, error screens, configurations, etc) that I only need ~VGA resolution on. My current HTC One M8 only lets me shoot at full resolution and I appreciated that my prior Nexus 5 gave me multiple options (though I'd prefer if they'd been easier to toggle between).

Thanks in advance for any insight!

jbsjbs

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

Thank you so much, this is VERY helpful and very very good news. I'm delighted that future photos of my clients' AV setups will not need to be in 12 megapixel resolution. :)

chrisexv6

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site

Thank you so much, this is VERY helpful and very very good news. I'm delighted that future photos of my clients' AV setups will not need to be in 12 megapixel resolution. :)

But what happens if you want to print one of them in bazillion x 20" ?

:)

SpartyONdude

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site

Can anyone please tell me if there is a separate folder from where I can access pictures taken on my camera without having to go through the Camera App that comes on Nexus 6p? I had LG G2 before this (major upgrade!) and it had a separate "Gallery" folder which I could access directly for photos. I do have Google Photos on my phone but that's not what I am talking about.

kcoan3

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site

Can anyone please tell me if there is a separate folder from where I can access pictures taken on my camera without having to go through the Camera App that comes on Nexus 6p? I had LG G2 before this (major upgrade!) and it had a separate "Gallery" folder which I could access directly for photos. I do have Google Photos on my phone but that's not what I am talking about.

I did the same upgrade and was asking the same question!! Created a post about it here.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-6p/604878-no-gallery-app-marshmallow.html

Sounds like your in michigan too... GOO SPARTANS!

truenoob

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone know if the camera app handles photo post processing (e.g. noise reduction, etc)? If so, then if I were to install a third party camera app, a photo taken of the same thing with two different photo apps could look different based on the processing? This question is for jpeg images straight out of the camera.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

Does anyone know if the camera app handles photo post processing (e.g. noise reduction, etc)? If so, then if I were to install a third party camera app, a photo taken of the same thing with two different photo apps could look different based on the processing? This question is for jpeg images straight out of the camera.

If you're talking JPEGs, the phone already applies very heavy NR (as do all tiny-sensor cameras and devices). NR isn't going to work miracles on a 1/2.3" sensor (extremely small still in the imaging world, but good for a cell phone). Ideally you want to strike a balance between NR and detail, and that balance is usually less NR on the subject (or in focus areas) and heavier NR on the background (or out of focus areas). If there was an app that had a better algorithm than what's baked into the camera already (since every image beings as a RAW capture), you might see a slight improvement, but I doubt you would see anything too significant unless the default app had a truly horrible algorithm (possible I guess). One step further would be taking the RAW output via third party app, offloading the photos, and then using powerful NR software via Photoshop plugin such as Nik DFINE or Topaz De-noise. At the end of the day you are still dealing with a tiny sensor, and it will need heavy NR applied to almost anything above base ISO to hide the noise.

Brjlk

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site

What's the link on Play Store? I searched but did not find it there.

TruPlaya187

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

Yup. Snapseed is unable to read dng files at all. Adobe Lightroom works well on the 6P though.

Snapseed is able to read raw files. I just tried it using Proshot and I was able to open the raw picture into snapseed.