Nexus 7: what is the percentage of your battery power after a day's use?

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
5 hours and 30 mins, i have about 60% left.

when i first got it back after two repairs, the battery was going crazy. after asus tech told me to drain it to 0%, then recharge it again. it seems to be normal now.

but i think that it is still using a little too much comparing to my first usage.

question 2: what is the purpose of draining it to 0%? does it damage the battery? i used to use it while charging, but the tech told me that it is better not to do that. true?

Last edited by a moderator:

EviI

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: what is the percentage of your battery power after a day's use?

when i first got it back after two repairs, the batter was going crazy. after asus tech told me to drain it to 0%, then recharge it again. it seems to be normal now.

but i think that it is still using a little too much comparing to my first usage.
I don't consider myself a heavy user, so at the end of the day it's about 65-70% battery left.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

when i first got it back after two repairs, the batter was going crazy. after asus tech told me to drain it to 0%, then recharge it again. it seems to be normal now.

I have about 70% after a day's worth of usage.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

so that seems that mine is still using the battery a little too much? that is what i thought.

can anyone look at your battery status, and tell me exactly how many hours you have used, and the battery percentage? thanks.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

so that seems that mine is still using the battery a little too much? that is what i thought.

can anyone look at your battery status, and tell me exactly how many hours you have used, and the battery percentage? thanks.

What do you do on your tablet? And to answer your question about battery drainage, lithium ion batteries after some point need to be partially drained to maintain their health. If you keep charging it when it's at 0%, the device will eventually give incorrect battery readings. I don't really do this, but some think full drainage is good. Basic sum up: Don't let it go fully dead.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

like for today, i did a little chatting, and watched some videos. 6 hours later, i have 57% left on my battery. that seems to be a little too much.

they told me that they changed the motherboard on the tablet, does that have anything to do with this tablet's battery usage?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

like for today, i did a little chatting, and watched some videos. 6 hours later, i have 57% left on my battery. that seems to be a little too much.

they told me that they changed the motherboard on the tablet, does that have anything to do with this tablet's battery usage?

Check to see what is running in the background of the tablet. Whoever is telling you to change this and that is trying to extort money from you. Try the smaller stuff first before going on and changing parts...

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

We need more information to determine how the battery is on your N7.
How much screen time? How bright is the screen? Stuff like that. Post screenshots of your battery stats

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Check to see what is running in the background of the tablet. Whoever is telling you to change this and that is trying to extort money from you. Try the smaller stuff first before going on and changing parts...

He said they already changed it, not sure it that's true though...

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

He said they already changed it, not sure it that's true though...

I was trying to prevent him from letting them change more stuff than they already have. He is describing large time periods, but he doesn't say whether during that time it was on stand-by or he was using it. I wish he put up more info.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

i used the tablet before, the same way as before, i don't remember ever seeing it at below 50% at the end of day of usage. but now it is going towards 20% or less.

and when it is on stand by for 30 mins or so, the battery will lose 1% of power. before the 2nd repair, i had the tablet on stand by, after one night of sleep, it lost only 3% in about 8 hours or so. i even posted a question asking if it is normal to lose so "much" power when i didn't do anything during those hours.

so i have determined that something is wrong. i have the one year warranty, they do everything for free, but i still have to go to fedex to return it. so i probably will have to send it back for the 3rd time! last time they told me that they changed the motherboard already. i hope that they will just give me a new one. or at least give me some extra money for all the troubles!

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

i used the tablet before, the same way as before, i don't remember ever seeing it at below 50% at the end of day of usage. but now it is going towards 20% or less.

and when it is on stand by for 30 mins or so, the battery will lose 1% of power. before the 2nd repair, i had the tablet on stand by, after one night of sleep, it lost only 3% in about 8 hours or so. i even posted a question asking if it is normal to lose so "much" power when i didn't do anything during those hours.

so i have determined that something is wrong. i have the one year warranty, they do everything for free, but i still have to go to fedex to return it. so i probably will have to send it back for the 3rd time! last time they told me that they changed the motherboard already. i hope that they will just give me a new one. or at least give me some extra money for all the troubles!

That is much different than what you described earlier on. At least it's free like you said, and yeah I guess if you spam them enough times, they might just give you a new one. They probably thought it was the motherboard because the tablet might have been giving incorrect battery readings. The battery probably needs to get calibrated again, but I may be wrong. Does it get warm?

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

That sounds pretty decent if you are doing much of anything. Most people say you get 8 or so hours on a charge. I would just use the device and not obsess on battery life.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

i charged it last night at 30%, closed all the apps, put it in the airport mode. after i woke up, it was still at 30%! that seems to be inaccurate, because when i first got it, after a night sleep, it consumed 3% usually.

about 1 min later, i checked it again, it was at 29%. about 5 mins of snoozing, it was at 28% just for checking the battery twice, i did nothing else.

and when i started to use it for total screen time about 10 mins or even less, the battery power was at 23%! and i set the screen with automatic adjustment.

so i think that something is wrong with the screen.

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

i charged it last night at 30%, after i woke up, closed all the apps, put it in the airport mode. after i woke up, it was still at 30%! that seems to be inaccurate, because when i first got it, after a night sleep, it consumed 3% usually.

about 1 min later, i checked it again, it was at 29%. about 5 mins of snoozing, it was at 28% just for checking the battery twice, i did nothing else.

and when i started to use it for total screen time about 10 mins or even less, the battery power was at 23%! and i set the screen with automatic adjustment.

3% over night is really good, my phone loses around 5-6. 0% overnight is amazing. Auto brightness isn't a set level, it you're in a dark area, the screen will be lower, if you're outside or in a well lit room, the screen will be a lot brighter.

vividrich

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

I've got 24% after 12 hours, 4:40 screen on time, lotsa gaming and browsing on a day off. Pretty satisfied.

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 via Android Central App

Buffster5505

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Received N7 yesterday, charged it to 100%. From 4pm to Midnight installed all my apps ( lots of apps ). Tested everything. Did not let the N7 rest for a full 8 hours and went to bed with 64%. Got up at 8am and still had 61%. Very impressed with the overall performance. All this with no battery saver app, just letting the N7 do its own thing. And letting any app that had to access the web do its own thing.

Bought it from Google Play Store. N7 2013 32Gb ( No LTE )

You won't be disappointed

B

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

i charged it last night at 30%, closed all the apps, put it in the airport mode. after i woke up, it was still at 30%! that seems to be inaccurate, because when i first got it, after a night sleep, it consumed 3% usually.

I think you are putting too much trust in those percentages. Those are estimates of the current available in the battery and is by no means an exact measure. This estimate can vary minute to minute with no change in the actual charge in the battery. Also, battery consumption is non-linear and highly dependent what applications your run and the state of those applications. So if your ran applications X, Y, and Z one time, and A,B and Z another time the consumption would be different, even through application Z is the one that is currently running. Additionally, the Android OS has it's own services that operate at different times based on logic only the OS knows about.

Regarding the screen, auto-brightness that is based on the ambient illumination seen by the sensor. The human eye is non-linear in sensitivity to light. So what we perceive as a small change in brightness in the room may require a large change screen brightness to maintain the same level of perceived illumination and thus have a large impact on power consumption. Even something as small as leaning left or right, or turning on or off a light in an adjacent room can impact the power consumed by the display.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Received N7 yesterday, charged it to 100%. From 4pm to Midnight installed all my apps ( lots of apps ). Tested everything. Did not let the N7 rest for a full 8 hours and went to bed with 64%. Got up at 8am and still had 61%. Very impressed with the overall performance. All this with no battery saver app, just letting the N7 do its own thing. And letting any app that had to access the web do its own thing.
B

thank you for the detailed report, that is what i was hoping to read.

after 2 repairs, i wasn't even sure if it was me, or it was the tablet.(you know, like one of those rape victims.) i had about 28% battery power yesterday, i only had about 10 apps running in the background, i used a few for maybe total of two hours of maximum running time, by then, it only had 1% batter power left, and asked me to connect the charger!

when i asked asus people why i am not getting a fedex prepaid postage email together with the rma email, one person told me that i have to pay for it myself. then i told him/her that this is my 3rd time sending it for repair, even s/he was surprised to hear that. then s/he just ordered the prepaid postage email for me.

------
to answer jerrykurr and a few others.

i was using the tablet in bright daylight, and had it on auto adjustment. so i definitely wasn't using too much battery power for the screen. but there is something wrong with the screen or the motherboard (because they gave me a new motherboard in the 2nd repair). as i said it before, after one night sleep, the tablet on standby didn't consume any battery power or maybe 3% at the most. once i start to use it during daytime, then the batter power goes down really fast. when i got it back after 2nd repair just 3 days ago, i charged this thing twice the first day, i was still able to drain it to 0% manually as suggested by the asus tech people.

i used to play an app called Farm or something, when i play that, the tablet will get very hot around the camera area, and the battery will goes down fast. when i use other apps, the battery was running ok.

so it is very obvious something is wrong with the tablet, that is why i sent it for the 3rd repair. i hope that they just send me a new one. obviously they can't fix it at all.

Buffster5505

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Just to continue where I left off...

From 61% at 8am I finally put it on the charge at 5pm at 11%. Used it about 6 more hours in that time period...reading newsfeeds and magazines. A bit of browsing and texting.

My brightness is set at 4% not auto. Just perfect viewing inside ... Outside might be a different story.

Quite satisfied for my first 24 hours. Hope it holds up.

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174