Not One, But Two Notes on the Screen-Off Note Telling You How to Use It

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
anyone else have this? this is the goodness that the fu Sprint security update brought? what a joke. the use of this function has always been obvious by other info on the screen, and there is a manual. why do we need two notes on what should be a blank screen, other than the save, etc. info, telling to write a note there. smh blithering idiots all.

also, you can no longer just turn your screen off and click twice to start the note if you spen is already out. now you have to put it back in, turn your screen off and pull the pen or hold the pen button and tap the screen. ridiculous extra step. broke what didn't need fixing.

isired

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm on vzw, but I can get the screen-off memo while the screen is on and the pen is out by turning the screen off the tapping the screen while holding the s-pen button.

Also, not sure what 2 messages you're getting, I've always (Note 5, Note 8, Note 10+) gotten 'title' note and instructions. But that goes away after I make a note and go back to make another a few minutes later, I just get the black screen with the icons for color, pen, eraser.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I can get the screen-off memo while the screen is on and the pen is out by turning the screen off the tapping the screen while holding the s-pen button.
I mentioned that and feel it is an unnecessary change. more work for same result. the double click was easier.

Also, not sure what 2 messages you're getting, I've always (Note 5, Note 8, Note 10+) gotten 'title' note and instructions. But that goes away after I make a note and go back to make another a few minutes later, I just get the black screen with the icons for color, pen, eraser.
I've never had the instructions, only the clean blank screen with "icons for color, pen, eraser." mine is persistent and unnecessary. I get it every time. what a joke. made for a two year old. Sprint carp.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
both problems solved. they made internal changes so that now you have to choose to have a white note. why not leave the setting the person had in place? rolling my eyes here... after that selection, dear heavens what a pita, the message is gone and the notes are white again. this is a productivity device people. quit messing with what isn't broken. clearly not Sprint's fault rather yet another Sammy Whammy.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
What Sprint update? I'm still on the September patch.

I'm unlocked with Sprint and there was a 10/1 update pushed out that was pretty much a typical Sprint cf. this issue sits solely with Samsung though. if you're not unlocked you probably won't have that update available yet. I haven't seen any Sprint folks mention it, and very few UL Sprint folks.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
anyone else have this? this is the goodness that the fu Sprint security update brought? what a joke. the use of this function has always been obvious by other info on the screen, and there is a manual. why do we need two notes on what should be a blank screen, other than the save, etc. info, telling to write a note there. smh blithering idiots all.

also, you can no longer just turn your screen off and click twice to start the note if you spen is already out. now you have to put it back in, turn your screen off and pull the pen or hold the pen button and tap the screen. ridiculous extra step. broke what didn't need fixing.

I tried to replicate your problem and I couldn't.

My screen was off, I pulled out my S Pen and started writing. I got the same thing you posed in #4, but I just started writing. I didn't even need to press the S Pen button.

Remember, you have to program the Side Key. You can set it up, that when you double click the side key to open Samsung Notes.

I forgot to mention, I am Verizon with the Verizon variant, not unlocked.

isired

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

My screen was off, I pulled out my S Pen and started writing. I got the same thing you posed in #4, but I just started writing. I didn't even need to press the S Pen button.
That's the norm - you only have to press the s-pen button if the pen was already out when you turned the screen off then on.

isired

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok. Maybe I am not understanding what the problem is.
The OP gets the instruction text every time he pulls the pen out while off, and when the pen is already out he can't initiate a screen off memo by turning the screen off and tapping the screen.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
The OP gets the instruction text every time he pulls the pen out while off, and when the pen is already out he can't initiate a screen off memo by turning the screen off and tapping the screen.

The saving the note as white writing on black background as the default is a little hokey. Otherwise, it seems to work as designed.

Screen off: Pull out S Pen and started writing.
Screen off (with S Pen out): Pressed S Pen button and started writing.

Both worked.

Because Samsung got rid of the Bixby Button, you now have a button that is multi-function. The double click action is one of three functions, open camera, open Bixby, or open an app that you designate.

The phone is working as designed, we as users need to retrain ourselves to the new button layout and S Pen capabilities.

isired

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The saving the note as white writing on black background as the default is a little hokey. Otherwise, it seems to work as designed.

Screen off: Pull out S Pen and started writing.
Screen off (with S Pen out): Pressed S Pen button and started writing.

Both worked.

Because Samsung got rid of the Bixby Button, you now have a button that is multi-function. The double click action is one of three functions, open camera, open Bixby, or open an app that you designate.

The phone is working as designed, we as users need to retrain ourselves to the new button layout and S Pen capabilities.
Yeah the default should be the old black on white save, I wonder if saving white on black as default is their way of letting people know it's there, or maybe in keeping with the trend toward 'dark mode'?

Agree that almost everything is working as designed - but the instructions note is designed to go away. So something's wonky with the OPs function there. Maybe an app cache wipe, or system cache wipe would fix it - through the years, I've occasionally had random things like that happen after an update and a system cache wipe usually fixed it.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

Remember, you have to program the Side Key. You can set it up, that when you double click the side key to open Samsung Notes.

I forgot to mention, I am Verizon with the Verizon variant, not unlocked.

thank you, but non of this is applicable to my previous issue.