Note 3 keyboard choice

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I've been really impressed with the stock keyboard. I've used swype beta and now swype for years on my other phones and swore by it, but I figured I'd give stock a shot. It has the swype feature I love, the number row is convenient, and I like the spacing and look of the keyboard better than any theme on swype or swiftkey

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

superairwolf

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm just on my third day on the Note 3. When I got the phone the other day, I struggled with the stock keyboard. The space bar key was just too small and ended up with words strung together.

I switched immediately to SwiftKey. Galactic difference for me with the wide space key and the stunningly accurate prediction and auto correct.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

disneymagik

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I like swiftkey, but I use emojis and wanted one similar that had lots of them plus predictive text and skins. I found TouchPal and it's my fave! I can customize the size of the keyboard, how long the letters 'pop out' when pressed where I want it to learn words from like twitter, sms, contact list,etc. and it learns slang words if I choose. Just my 2?.✌☺

Sent from my FABULOUS Note 3!

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Give SwiftKey beta a try - same as SwiftKey but with the number row and hundreds of emojis. With the extra screen real estate in the note ⚂ I love having the number row!

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I like the stock keyboard but switched to SwiftKey more because it's customizable with different colors and whatnot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I tried the stock for a while when new, then went back to Swift Key. Stock is fine, but I don't swipe and SwiftKey is faster for me.
I didn't know you could back up to Google as I lost my predictions a few times.

Disappointed S-Pen is too slow with a keyboard, and you have to hit a key from straight up and wait. It may swipe?

You can't highlight and cut either, OK you can but it's fiddly and some found a way with the S-Pen button which I can't crack.

For this reason I tried Kii as there is cursor control on another layer which is a cool idea, but after a week with it's front keyboard I went back to SwiftKey for now. On Kii I kept hitting L instead of backspace, and the return key was no friend.

I am probably more at fault and should spend more time setting up what works for me.

--------------------------------
I still miss my Sony Ericsson P910i with its stylus and resistive keyboard and instant highlighting, cutting and pasting.
-------------------------------

I want next generation phones to have hardware buttons, switches and that fantastic 5 way side wheel/switch/button. Add that to modern screens, apps and processing and we are off to a flyer, as we say.

It's called ergonomics.

Hold a flat piece of glass and control everything with finger touches is not the last word. Try fly a light plane or drive a track car with a touchscreen.

I want to click something!

Posted on my N9005 via Android Central App

Last edited:

Bren Bren1

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone explain why the hell the S Voice microphone / "talk to text" option just mysteriously disappears and gets replaced with the S Pen icon, clipboard, settings, emoticons, and keyboard icons?!? This has happened twice now and I can't figure it out or find any help under Settings or on Samsung ' s site.

Posted via Android Central App

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Stock. . But I can't figure out why it uses caps for some words in the middle of sentences (anyone know? ). And it's predictions and lists are really not great..I spend way too long on corrections (vs swype).

But, I really like the pen interface of the stock keyboard (not the more general one touchwiz, but the one that seems to be built into the keyboard itself. ..***Anyone know a way to access that interface from a non-stock keyboard??***

Solrighal

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm able to use my pen just by tapping in the text entry field. That's how l wrote this reply. I'm using SwiftKey to do it.

Sent from my SM-N9005

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm able to use my pen just by tapping in the text entry field. That's how l wrote this reply. I'm using SwiftKey to do it.

Sent from my SM-N9005

Yes, but when you do, which handtw righting box appears , dark grey with scrubbing Wheel at bottom (part of the stock keyboard- same as long press on Keyboard microphone then tap the T entrY button) or light (colored box with the "done" button in the- Corner , which is the more "generic" text input not part of keyboard ?(same as you get when you hover the pen over any text box when keyboard isn't open already ).

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
It's a light coloured box with "done" at top right. It's good enough for me.

Sent from my SM-N9005

Thanks... Installed SwiftKey, is head and shoulders above stock for accuracy (and a touch better than swype).. Native email client doesn't seem to support handwriting input outside stock which is what hangs me up. Installed a notification bar keyboard switcher and will see what I settle into. Meanwhile will vote for handwriting integration from SwiftKey into Samsung handwriting recognition - should be an option off of SwiftKey.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Sent from my SM-N9005

I have to admit I tried the pen on SwiftKey again after quite a while. It does seem a lot quicker than I remember, and I can mostly work the keys from my left handed desk angle better than before. The spacebar is the only one that has an issue with me, preferring it straight up. I'm sure I'll find it's sweet spot. I'm just writing, no innuendo intended. Thanks for the push.

anote3fan

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
To this day I still get surprised how beautifully magical switfkey is (to borrow John ive's words)

Swiftkey all the way! using it is like using magic

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomasgabel