Note 5 and Gear VR, not impressed

anderdea

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
The virtual reality is a good first step concept but somewhat disappointed in its implication. Is it just me? The image using the note 5 is VERY pixilated and very disappointing. The big screen effect is quite spectacular but the quality leaves a lot to be desired. I wear glasses and with or without glasses it's still somewhat blurry and pixelated. Reminds me of one of the very first non HD Sharp projector I had. Could I be doing something wrong? I've viewed the canned material that comes with the Oculus install and a MKV movie I transferred to the phone and a 3D (top/bottom) movie I transferred with little difference. Focus just makes the pixels more evident. At this stage I really hoped for a bit better results. Looking at my N5 it is very sharp but I guess when you blow up the image, the pixels become very noticeable.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
very sharp but I guess when you blow up the image, the pixels become very noticeable.

That's about the extent of it. Even the S7 being QHD, looks great in FHD mode, and can switch up to QHD in VR to help with that. The Note 5, while capable, isn't ideal for VR. It never was intended to be.