News Nothing co-founder Akis Evangelidis on building the Phone (2a): 'We wanted to create a product that we would use ourselves

Daniel Gomes

May 26, 2010
Visit site
"being able to see the coil makes it a lot easier when making payments, as you don't have to guess where to tap the phone against a reader." - Sadly this is a valid point for many smartphones, except Sony who put the NFC logo on the back of the phone precisely where the NFC coil is. I've never had an issue paying with my Xperia 10iii. Other OEM's should do this too.

The 2a is a beautiful phone and I hope they sell many. Personally I think they went too dark with the black one, so from a distance it just looks like a solid black phone, and not all that great. It should have been the same shade as Phone 2 imo.

The white one is the pick of the bunch imo because it stands out and you can clearly see all the textures, bumps and ripples underneath. The beige plastic components remind me of the original Macintosh, accented by the white coil and ribbon. The milky version obscures that colour difference - I wouldn't have bothered to make tbh.