notifications help

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I have the 4a and I'm in a learning curve of the phone and A11. How do I set up all the notifications that I wish or don't wish to be alerted on? (sound wise) Thanks :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Apps & Notifications, then "See all [n] apps" to see your app list. Choose an app, then Notifications, then toggle the notifications on or off.

If you want a notification icon in the status bar but want to turn off the tone, then tap the word for the desired notification in that Notifications menu (not the toggle switch), then tap Silent.

If you want a notification icon in the status bar but want to change the tone, then tap the word (not the toggle switch), then tap Advanced, then Sound, and change the tone there.

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I see where it will say xx notifications per day, any way to change that? or in google message it would have a contact name and say default settings?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The "xx notifications per day" is simply information for you, telling you how often you're getting notifications from that app for that reason -- there isn't a way to set a limit to the number of notifications, if that's what you're asking.

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, another thing I have noticed. "at your request android is blocking this category of notifications from appearing on this device"...

I appreciate your assistance B.Diddy :)

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
What do you see if you tap that?

nothing would happen when I seen the blocking message. but I think it was due to notifications being turned off.. But I don't get email notices, texts messages show up but without a sound or notice. It seems like something simple I am missing

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It might help to see some screenshots of the system settings menus for those apps. There can be quite a few different notification options for a given app -- for example, you can choose for text messages to be silent but other kinds of notifications from the texting app to give you a sound.

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
It might help to see some screenshots of the system settings menus for those apps. There can be quite a few different notification options for a given app -- for example, you can choose for text messages to be silent but other kinds of notifications from the texting app to give you a sound.

Ok. i will get some.. BRB

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Here are from 3 different apps

This is what it says under 1 of my contacts... Where is talks about the block

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I edited one of your screenshots that still had your Gmail address on it.

Is that notification blocking for the Messages app, Facebook Messenger, or Gmail?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, I'm still trying to understand where exactly in the menu you're going -- do you mean the listing for that contact's message thread in the Settings>Apps>Notifications menu you posted as a screenshot, or are you going through the Contacts app?

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I go to the message app. Click on the contact then the three dots to details then notifications and that is where i see the blocked message

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it's important to note that blocking the category of notifications from appearing isn't the same as the "Block & Report Spam" option.

I'm not quite sure where to find the option to make that category of notifications unblocked -- it'd be so much easier if I could handle the phone! One option here would be to clear the cache and data from the Messages app in Settings>Apps. This will reset all of the app's settings to default (but will not erase any saved messages -- that data is saved in a different system app).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord