Now Playing Icon on Home Screen No Longer Connects to Now Playing App

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
On my Pixel 2XL I had an icon on my home screen labeled Now Playing. This is an icon generated by Android and it connects to Now Playing history. If I wanted a quick way to see the music I've heard in the past couple of days I could simply tap on the Now Playing Icon and see all the songs.

I got my Pixel 5a yesterday and I did the settings transfer using the USB-C cable, connecting my two phones together and tranferring the settings from my 2XL to my 5a. Because I use Nova Prime as my launcher and because I made a backup of my Nova Prime settings, when I restored those Nova settings on my 5a the Now Playing icon was restored to my home screen. However, if I tap on that icon now I get a message, "App Isn't Installed".

I have verified the Now Playing is activated: Settings > Sound & Vibration > Advanced > Now Playing > Identify Songs Playing Nearby ON

So now if I want to see my Now Playing History I have to type this rigamarole:

Settings > Sound & Vibration > Advanced > Now Playing > Now Playing History

Anybody know a way to restore the functionality of the Now Playing icon on my home screen so it will show me Now Playing History with one tap of that icon?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I solved the problem.

If I go to:

Settings Sound & Vibration Advanced > Now Playing > Now Playing History

...and tap on the three dot menu in the upper right hand corner it gives me the option to add a widget to the home screen. If I complete this action I can now tap on that widget and see the Now Playing history again.