OEM vs 3rd Party Chargers...

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I always purchase additional wall-warts when I get a new phone that uses a new charging technology, as when Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0 was adopted by leading manufacturers. I've also purchased charging stations for use in key areas around the house. Everyone just plugs in wherever they are, when they need to. This works well for my family.

I have never purchased OEM chargers, but instead get 3rd party chargers that are highly-rated and that cost much less. In the case of Quick Charge chargers, I've purchased from manufacturers that are licensed by Qualcomm. All of the replacement or additional chargers that I've purchased for family members are also good 3rd party chargers. I've never had the slightest issue over the years with these chargers.

So, with the N7, does anyone have any insights into whether or not good 3rd party chargers pose any real risk?
Do you limit yourself to only purchasing/using official Samsung wall-warts?

BTW: I've noticed on Amazon that "official OEM Samsung chargers" are often not from Samsung, but are actually knock-offs. If you buy directly from Samsung, the prices are typically high.

hailsusy90

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been using a couple of 3rd party chargers and have not had the heating up problem at all. I use IXCC brand chargers and cables and they are very high quality. I also use a Tylt Vu Qi wireless charger and also have no problems with it.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
My cables and chargers are from: Cable Matters, Amazon Basics, Anker, ChoeTech and Aukey. All great stuff, IMO, zero issues.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I recently reviewed this fast wireless charger for ChoeTech:

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Fast-Wir...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5395503

If anyone is interested in getting it, here's a discount code: NA9SKYFQ

It's a fine example of what I am talking about in the OP. I also own the OEM Samsung wireless fast charger that lists for something like $70. There's absolutely no difference in the performance of these two devices.

Just sharing...

PRGDR

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
If the motivation of the question is the exploding units business, from what I have been reading it is probably not related to the chargers but to the battery itself (or its circuitry). Of course, it is always a good idea to choose well built chargers, particularly when dealing with a phone as expensive as this...

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
If the motivation of the question is the exploding units business, from what I have been reading it is probably not related to the chargers but to the battery itself (or its circuitry). Of course, it is always a good idea to choose well built chargers, particularly when dealing with a phone as expensive as this...

Agreed.

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I bought a wireless charger off Amazon that gets the phone quite warm even long after charging is full. It has no fan.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I have two standard speed Nokia wireless chargers that I've been using for a couple of years with different phones. When I left my G2 or N7 on it overnight, it would be slightly warm in the AM, hours after the charge was completed. It seems to be a thing with wireless chargers, even the old-school standard speed chargers.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I bought two of these wireless fast chargers off Amazon. The phone and the charger (part behind the phone) never gets warm. The base part of the charger is the only part that has a very slight warmth to it.
IMO, I do believe that the battery issue has nothing to do with 3rd party cords or chargers and more so with a flaw within the phone..
9814938e73ee15fcdfcceb5c6765b30c.jpg

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
You should be fine using a third-party charger from a reputable manufacturer like Anker, Aukey and so forth. Ones that are certified by Qualcomm should be okay.

The Note7 supports both Samsung's Adaptive Fast Charging and Quick Charge 2.0. I recommend using the original wallwart, but QC 2.0 wallwarts from reputable third-parties should be fine.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I've been using a couple of 3rd party chargers and have not had the heating up problem at all. I use IXCC brand chargers and cables and they are very high quality. I also use a Tylt Vu Qi wireless charger and also have no problems with it.
I bought the Tylt and im very pleased with it ,also does not heat the phone at all.
My question is after the phone charges 100% and goes green light the charger does not cycle off and the green charge light on the tylt stays on is that normal? I think the charger should cycle off?

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
The Tylt is a normal speed charge , answered my own question turned off the phone and placed on the Tylt it fully charged then the charger turned off,
So the phone on with apps running in the background even at 100% takes longer for the charger to cycle off

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I bought two of these wireless fast chargers off Amazon. The phone and the charger (part behind the phone) never gets warm. The base part of the charger is the only part that has a very slight warmth to it.
IMO, I do believe that the battery issue has nothing to do with 3rd party cords or chargers and more so with a flaw within the phone..
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160905/9814938e73ee15fcdfcceb5c6765b30c.jpg

I have a few of these as well. They work great.