Official: HTC EVO 4G takes opening weekend sales record!

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
No hard numbers released just yet but they verified that it broke the record.

"Friday sales of HTC EVO 4G marked the largest quantity of a single phone sold in one day ever for Sprint – the record was previously held by both Samsung InstinctTM and Palm PreTM. In addition, the total number of HTC EVO 4G devices sold on launch day was three times the number of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre devices sold over their first three days on the market combined."

In one day it sold three times as many as the Pre and Instinct sold in 3 days each combined... WOW!

Press release on Engadet:
HTC EVO 4G overtakes Palm Pre for best-selling launch day on Sprint -- Engadget

Its funny but I had both those phones before the EVO :p

kingpin2623

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I wonder when they will announce the numbers. How long does it usually take? I hope it kicked ass. As much criticism as sprint gets I hope this will turn it around for them. I love sprint and been with them for 5 years.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Well with the HUGE inventory problems at launch for both the Instinct and the Pre- I don't think this was hard to do. It also helped to have an AWARD winning phone launch 2 months after a major cell trade show, and to do a preorder a few weeks in advance- Niether were done for pre, and I don't believe for Instict either.

I really do hope this phone can hold up to whatever Apple has planned- or this may be the most returned phone in history however. I see a lot of ex iphone users here.

mandarb916

May 19, 2010
Visit site
3x EVO sales on Friday compared to weekend sales for Pre so...approx 150k + a some over sat/sun?

edit: hard to interpret...not sure if they mean Palm weekend sales combined and Instinct weekend sales combined (150k) or Palm+Instinct weekend sales (300k)

Last edited:

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
shockingly that now seems a bit low. I mean i cant find exact numbers for pre opening weekend but it seems to be somewhere between 50k-100k assuming 50k x 3 = 150k x 2 (for instinct) = 300k minimum. That's impressive!

organix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The Palm Pre had really low inventory. I remember the Best Buy I went to had 8 of them compared to 66 Evo's this Friday. The next Pre shipment didn't come for weeks compared to Evo's being promised today (the 7th). Also, Pre's weren't sold online at Sprint.com for a while.

Not saying that the amount of Evo's sold isn't amazing, but to compare it to the Pre is kind of weak.

element4life3

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The Palm Pre had really low inventory. I remember the Best Buy I went to had 8 of them compared to 66 Evo's this Friday. The next Pre shipment didn't come for weeks compared to Evo's being promised today (the 7th). Also, Pre's weren't sold online at Sprint.com for a while.

Not saying that the amount of Evo's sold isn't amazing, but to compare it to the Pre is kind of weak.

I really think the Evo has had more of a "wow" factor compared to the Pre in the eyes of the regular consumer, driving more customers towards the phone. And remembering back to the hype before the Pre lauch, I have heard way more people actually wanting the phone, and even ditching their iPhones to get the Evo.

What I am trying to say is that this is definately a larger launch than the Pre, and if both were to have had an infinate inventory, I'm sure the Evo would have sold more.

kschuyler

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I had a Sprint Rep tell me that there were 20k Evo's available for launch. I ased if that was for our area (Chicago) and she said no, that was for the US as a whole. I don't now what the hell she was talking about inless she meant 20k were available that hadn't been re-ordered or what.

Keith

r-nice

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site

This is correct and full of truth. I had to wait a month to get my Pre after the first shipment sold out.