Official Samsung Prevail user feedback

gw4141

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Prepaid for mine the morning it was to go on sale. Picked it up in the same evening. I am blown away by the consistant performance of the phone. Online videos are great, wifi works perfect and browsing on the 3g has not stopped me from being happy. I am covinced that this is the phone for me. On top of all that it looks great. I have other digital devices and this compliments them greatly

brianstash#AC

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Very happy.... except for the battery life.

Quick background. I was just laid off after 11 years and owned every Blackberry there was. The last being the Torch 9800. I needed another phone for a few months to hold me over til I know if another company is going to provide me a phone. (Thus I don't want to sign up a 1 or 2 year contract. No matter how much I'd like the iPhone.)

So far the Samsung Galaxy Prevail has been a great phone. Smaller and lighter than current Android market devices. I'm new to Android and this phone has made it very easy. Snappy interface, GPS, WiFi, maps, mail, web, gallery, and phone call quality is great. I can even tether for almost 1mbps per second downloads in Washington DC!

The ONLY problem I see is BATTERY LIFE!

You CANNOT keep GPS or WiFi on too long or the phone gets sucked dry of battery life. I have not installed ANY new applications.

Is battery life on all Android powered devices this bad?

Xtronwest

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I just came out of a blackberry torch also. And lost my job too i couldn't afford to pay the bill anymore so i pick up the samsung galaxy prevail i love the phone a lot. I have to get use to it since its my first android phone

Warren2185

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Orlando and went to a random Boost store (kinda crummy) and they didn't have any Prevail's and the guy said there are "none around anywhere" but we'll get them in two weeks. Then I went about two miles away on West Colonial by West Oaks Mall to the Best Buy and they must have had ten of them. I didn't buy it because my AT&T contract isn't up till July. But the Prevail is out there. Looks good too, but I'm only a mild user of smartphones.

ravious

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Strange Behaviour & Random Reboots

I just got the Prevail a few days ago, and all was going well except for one thing..

I was getting random reboots of the device. I naturally assumed it was a software conflict with something that I had downloaded, and since I had just gotten the device and didnt really have that much on it, I decided to do a factory reset, wipe all user data, and reinstall my apps one by one and monitor the system activity logs via ADB logcat.

What I found was that right before the system rebooted, it was receiving a flood of button presses. Upon further examination I discovered that the plastic battery cover, where it fit up around the power button, was actually molded to tightly that it actually prevented the power button from fully retracting after being pressed (sometimes). With the power button stuck in, just like on a PC, the system shutdown, and since it was still pressed in, the system then also started itself back up again.

The solution was very simple. I used an exacto knife to ever so slightly shave around the cut-out for the power button on the battery cover, doing so just enough to allow the full normal movement of the power button as intended. I have yet to date have the system reboot randomly on it's own after that.

I've contacted boost and informed them of the issue, as well as Samsung in hopes that they will take responsibility for the issue, recall the current battery covers due to manufacture defect, and offer replacements to those users affected.

Will they? Who knows.. But i'm willing to bet that both companies tech support departments have had users with this issue, and probably both have misdiagnosed the issue as a severe hardware defect.

So if your prevail is rebooting on its own, and you don't know why.. Check your power button. Click it a few times with the battery cover on, then a few times with it off.. If you notice a difference.. You're affected by this issue.

rrspikes

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The Prevail is my first Android experiance so l must admit I was totally frustrated the first few days of using it. Now that I'm becoming accustomed to using it I'm actually becoming quite fond of it.

As of right now, I have only a few complaints.

1) Battery life sucks!
2) Bluetooth, I have to go into settings every time I get in my car to connect.
3) There are a few apps that will dowload but won't install. A msg pops up saying not carrier supported. I find this odd as those apps worked on my BM BB 8530...

I know I said a few but here's another. Boost Mobiles website keeps coming back as default after rebooting.

ravious

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
One of the most important things to remember with any smart phone is they are only as smart as the user. Touch screen devices do drain alot of power, but there are steps you can take to help maximize battery life.

The power control widget is your friend.

Wifi, bluetooth, GPS, extra applications running in the background and screen brightness all the way on full will always drain your battery an leave you feeling starved for juice in no time.

If you not in a situation where you need to use wi-fi.. turn it off. same with gps and bluetooth.
If your not outside in direct sunlight, there's no reason to have you screen brightness all the way on full.

Developers love making their applications run on system start. They are obsessive compulsive about it. This is true not only for smart phone but for regular pc's too. You would be surprised at how many applications are loaded at boot that you would typically not expect to. All of these processes require CPU usage and will take a toll on battery life. Download a task killer to keep this under control.
( I use Advanced Task Killer & included widget for 1 touch killing of all predefined apps)

And last but not least.. Rechargeable battery life always degrades over time on any device. This is caused by devices getting an artificial expectation of assumed battery power caused by charging and recharging of devices while at different battery levels. The device ends up thinking its empty or full when it really is not. Most manufacturers would recommend replacing the battery when this becomes an issue, but most of the time this is not necessary. You may easily recalibrate your battery yourself and save some money.

Drain your battery as totally as you can. When the device shuts itself off from lack of juice, turn it right back on again and keep doing so.

Then once it won't come on anymore, keep the device off, and plug it in and charge it for at least 8 hours.

Doing this is far better than nothing, but if you truly want to calibrate you battery to your best possible ability, you may use a device called a joule thief to totally drain the battery before putting it back in and recharging it. A joule thief will remove every last bit of power from a battery, much more than just powering on your phone until it wont come on anymore. Even when your phone wont come on anymore there is still quite a bit of power in your battery, just not enough to power on your device.

Just my 2 cents :D

brianstash#AC

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Ravious is VERY correct here. The power management widget is a great thing to have up on your homescreen. It's actually the ONLY widget I run on this phone.

After moving from a Blackberry Torch where I could literally not worry about charging my phone for DAYS I had to rethink my entire strategy with my new Android phone.

I may get some flack here but think of Android as nothing more than a bloated Windows machine (I'm a Mac convert from a couple of years ago) running way too many unneeded applications. Also remember that unlike Apple (iPhone) and RIM (Blackberry) where each of these companies build the software AROUND the hardware while optimizing battery life. Android is a great OS but it's not built around any specific hardware so battery optimization isn't the very best.

That said I would even shy away from even running the stock Android weather app on this phone. Even that NATIVE app sucks battery life like no other. At this point I have my apps lined up and if I really need to see the weather I can hit the app instead of have it run all the time. I also stopped running my battery percentage widget too.

With running no widgets except the power management I can get nearly 2 days of normal use.

Can anyone tell me if I just run the native calendar app how that affects battery life? (I'd like to run SOME widgets!)

lance1955

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I just picked one of these up. Lord are they hard to find. Anyway here my take on it. I currently have the VM Optimus V.
This phone has half the memory of the Opt V phone. Aside from that. It responsive, pretty quick toggle things. 3G seem pretty good (so far knock on wood). The one thing that bug the shi! out of me is the screen has this NICE big lock on it when in a call. My opt V does not do this.
The must have app for this phone from the market is quick settings.
Everything else on it is pretty good. It does not come with head phones, 2GB card standard.
If you compare the LG Opt V to this the Opt V blows it away speed wise. But for an entry level phone (which both are) this phone is a hair under the Opt V in terms of overall performance is it a bad phone? No it serves it purpose for my wife. You'll also need the battery time to "break in" dont ask me why my other phone battery (turn off gps it kills the battery and turn the brightness down) after a couple of cycles became longer lasting. 1day it was dead in 6-7 hours. It gradually got better. With heavy usage all day long I get about 10 hours out of it about 30% left. So give it some time to cycle and charge a few. It should get better. Battery widgets if you ask me suck more juice, and use a task killer.
Here is what I added from market (all free)
Quick Settings (this is a must have for hotspot and control of all setting in one place)
Superbox (it does it all)
Auto memory manager
Quick Pics

Overall its a pretty zippy phone for what it is. Good luck finding one. Your best best is to go online at best buy and do the reserve thing and pick it up at the store. They are selling like hot cakes.
I have no plans of rooting she already overwhelmed by the gadgetry. LOL So its gonna stay stock. For 50 bucks a month that why I choose this phone. The only reason I choose the LG Opt V was that was what had just came out. Now boost has this. So Im a Virgin and she is Boost. Hummm that does not word well Virgin Boost. HA HA HA Pick one up for the money I dont think you can beat the deal.

Just my two cents

FYI you can not on stock rom enable the hot spot feature Boost has blocked it. It shows up in my quick setting app but wont work. So looks like yuu cant or at least I have not figured it out.

Last edited:

ryderkidd

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Great phone but a few important apps missing

Love the phone, acceptable battery life, and can't beat the price and contract freedom. Wondering why some apps don't appear like eBay, GasBuddy, Google Docs ...

Droidasm

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Nice phone--needs mods

I've had my Prevail for a few days now. Leaps and bounds better than my Boost Blackberry, but still has room for improvement.

Like others have said, battery life/battery management is so-so--if you're planning on using the Prevail as a music player, web browser, GPS, etc, you're going to need a loooooooong extension cord! Also, it takes a loooooong time for this battery to charge--like 2-3 hours for a full charge!

Also very annoying, the phone call screen lock feature which apparently CANNOT be turned off! This means that every time you wake from display sleep to either place or take a phone call, you have to use BOTH the screen slider to answer the phone AND the "push lock button to unlock" (which is your power button....) which is INCREDIBLY ANNOYING and unnecessary. I'd rather "but-dial" someone from time to time that have to push this stupid all button all the time....hopefully, someone with come up with a widget, app, hack, or work-around to disable it.

All in all though it IS a great phone, by far the best one that Boost has ever had. The apps market is TONS better than the BBerry app store and the touch screen, rubberized sides and back for good grip, and the smaller (than a Bberry) form size make the Prevail a joy to use.

I'm hoping that like others have said that battery management tools and more charging cycles will improve battery life and/or that a larger capacity battery is available as right now this is the Achilles heel of the Prevail.

Boot might feel like they're killing their BBerry biz by offering the Prevail Droid, but the truth is that if they hadn't offered a decent Droid, I would have switched carriers anyway....

D

Last edited:

RacerX780

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
This is my first smart phone... and my 2nd Android device. (Other being the Xoom)

I'm very happy with it... except for some of the things listed above. The battery and screen lock 'feature'. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the phone but so far I like it a lot.

As far as Boost... I'm coming from ATT with a phone only having talk and text. So this is a much needed step up. :) So far I've only had one call that started to break up for a little bit... no dropped calls, but I don't make a ton of calls to begin with. I've used the GPS several times (I've been alternating between the phone and my Xoom for GPS) haven't use it for music or anything... taken a few pics, and downloaded a few apps. Heh.. one being for the battery, which doesn't seem to help much.

I get a day out of a charge... tops. I gotta get a car charger so it doesn't die while I'm on the road. (I'm in sales and drive all day)

Other then those things, I'm happy with the phone and service. :)

dr4stic

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I fear that I'm gonna go against conventional wisdom here, but I thought I'd bring a little bit of a 1.5 years of android experience to the discussion. At least as far as battery conservation goes :) Please keep in mind that I don't actually have the Prevail, but my personal phones have been a HTC Magic (Rogers, not T-Mobile) and a Nexus One, and I take care of my wife's Droid Incredible.

First, I'd like to say that most android users that DON'T have super-extended battery packs for their phones typically get a day's worth of usage. Sticking your phone religiously on the charger at night and taking it off in the morning is normal. If you can get longer life out of your phone, then I applaud you!

WiFi is lighter on the battery than your 3G connection. When your phone is asleep, any WiFi connections are killed. Therefore the WiFi really is only in use when you use the phone interactively. If you force the use of your CDMA radio for 3G connections, you'll run the battery down faster than if you'd simply been on WiFi.

One place you can reduce use is in account synchronization. I used to turn off the syncing of email on my accounts. It syncs in the background (and thus uses the 3G radio) and you can just as easily use the web browser to check your mail. You can choose what you want to sync from Settings -> Accounts.

The navigation functionality on your phone is a killer on the battery... period. You're doing 3 things that kills your battery at once: Running the 3G radio, running the GPS, running the display. With my Nexus One, plugging in the power while driving with navigation only served to SLOW the battery drain. Newer Maps app from google makes things better by prefetching more tiles and by using svg tiles so that the drawing of the tiles didn't require a whole lot of constant downloading, but it's still a problem.

As for apps and app killers... I only use them to kill problem apps when I need to. Android memory management and app management is sufficient enough to keep the system humming smoothly. The idea that you NEED app killers is a myth. You don't need them. Even if the system seems burdened (according to the app killer), it likely isn't. I'm not saying they're useless, you do occassionally get problem apps that do act as CPU and memory hogs when they go crazy.

Just my 2 cents. I hope it helped someone :)

Clyde4210

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I like it a lot although I have a few issues with it of course. Double lock and I can not get the voice stuff to work. Double lock is easy once you figure it out, not much of a bother really.

out of 5 stars, I will give it a 4 1/2 stars. Great phone for the price and plan and Best buy usually has them.

cenvalycali

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Great phone and target has them for 180.you get a40 dollar gift card if you purchase through them also. I would love to delete some of the factory apps also if someone knows of a way.

fanatic205

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for a month now absoultly love it. The battery life was horrible the first week or so but got alot better. i made sure the battery was totally dead before recharging the first week now i can go all day with moderate usage and have 40% or so left.

as mentioned earlier keep a app killer that helps alot, also the stock email program when synced can eat up the internal memory. also install all the apps that you can on sd card helps alot. once you tweak the phone battery life imprtoves alot

I just recently rooted mine and running shabby mod this freed up alot of memory and the phone runs a ton smoother. overall great phone i would of gladly paid a lil more for anotherr 128 megs of onboard memory.

bottom line you cant beat this deal with the shrinkage plan, and as fast as these ares selling i see boost maybe coming out with something a lil higher end id gladly payy 299 for a higher end phone

captain_dl

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I got this phone for my son's birthday in a few weeks. I got it at Walmart's black Friday sale ($69 - without account). He is already on Boost with a Sanyo Incognito and wants to move to an Android phone (I have a Droid X). I will be opening the box in a few days to charge the phone and see about upgrading it to Gingerbread before I give it to him. I want it to be ready to go so he can activate it as soon as he opens it. I couldn't pass it up for the price. I hope it serves him well.

Neolantis#AC

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I am not very happy with my prevail...I have had it a week or so.

If I look at it from a purely functional view, it just never gets a signal. Home, work, stores.....If I'm on a main road or a parking lot somewhere, then fine, otherwise forget about it. Not to bash it, but it is very hard to enjoy something with no signal...ever!

I am assuming it may be sprint...I had them about 8 or so years ago with the same issue, went to verizon after that. I am going to check out the other phones and see if it makes a difference. I hope so. I do like the size, buttons are nice, weight is great, if I could get the signal then we would be in business. :)

minttobe

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I enjoy the capabilities of this phone and have been since I purchased it 1 yr ago but as Boost is coming out with a larger screen I maybe looking to ugrade. Overall this phone can do everything all the phones people are paying a fortune for can do. Let's not talk about price OMG, I will never go back to contract phones when I got Boost Mobiles plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatJimmy