Official Signal Strength and Reception Thread

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: Thought I'd chime in here. I really love the Galaxy Nexus but mine will be going back today in exchange for the iPhone 4s. The signal is just way too bad on this phone. This was confirmed to me when my buddy had an iPhone 4 on Verizon and was getting a solid 3 bars and I was barely getting one. Calls on his phone sounded crystal clear whereas mine sounded muffled and broken up. I figured that could be a fluke.

My dad got home and he has the iPhone 4s on Verizon and I tested it out. Where his phone gets 2 bars in the house, mine gets zero or 1. His also works much better too. I understand that bars aren't everything.

I really hate to give up those blazing LTE speeds but in the end I need a reliable PHONE that gets the strongest signal possible.

Just thought I'd add: my signal did not cut in and out, like many reported. Mine just displays a very low signal overall.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: Thought I'd chime in here. I really love the Galaxy Nexus but mine will be going back today in exchange for the iPhone 4s. The signal is just way too bad on this phone. This was confirmed to me when my buddy had an iPhone 4 on Verizon and was getting a solid 3 bars and I was barely getting one. Calls on his phone sounded crystal clear whereas mine sounded muffled and broken up. I figured that could be a fluke.

My dad got home and he has the iPhone 4s on Verizon and I tested it out. Where his phone gets 2 bars in the house, mine gets zero or 1. His also works much better too. I understand that bars aren't everything.

I really hate to give up those blazing LTE speeds but in the end I need a reliable PHONE that gets the strongest signal possible.

Just thought I'd add: my signal did not cut in and out, like many reported. Mine just displays a very low signal overall.

Will verizon allow this? You signed a 4g/ LTE contract, right? So won't they come back and say you need to stick with a 4g device or that if you do switch you will lose unlimited data?

Just curious as I at one point was thinking of doing the same.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Will verizon allow this? You signed a 4g/ LTE contract, right? So won't they come back and say you need to stick with a 4g device or that if you do switch you will lose unlimited data?

You won't have any issues. I made the swap to a 4s a couple weeks ago. I still have unlimited data.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

They said on the phone that unlimited plan carries over from smartphone to smartphone and I would not loose it unless I switched the plan myself.

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm really liking this phone but I don't know if I can keep it with the signal issue. I've owned 4 different motorola android phones that all have better reception this this phone. Maybe I've been spoiled and didn't know it but if something doesn't happen in the next couple of weeks I will probably send back for a Razor Maxx (with not very good screen). I have tried several different baseband's and kernels with really no difference that I could tell. I am currently running 4.0.4 baseband and stock kernel.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm really liking this phone but I don't know if I can keep it with the signal issue. I've owned 4 different motorola android phones that all have better reception this this phone. Maybe I've been spoiled and didn't know it but if something doesn't happen in the next couple of weeks I will probably send back for a Razor Maxx (with not very good screen). I have tried several different baseband's and kernels with really no difference that I could tell. I am currently running 4.0.4 baseband and stock kernel.

The iPhone 4s is night and day difference with signal. I don't care how the Nexus measures signal its crappy. With the nexus at my house I had zero or 1 bars. I got lucky and had two once but that was outside. Calls sounded muffled and would constantly break up. I actually ordered me a Verizon network extender. I got the 4s the other day and now have a solid signal. Three bars everywhere in my house and four outside. Calls sound fine, though I'm still gonna keep the network extender.

I really, really didn't want to get an iPhone but I need a stable working phone. The radios in the nexus are just not good enough and I really can't keep waiting for an update. The Nexus is an awesome mini computer but a lousy phone. I still don't understand why Samsung didn't thoroughly test out the signal. Oh well.

dirt101

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Happened to me again yesterday, dropped 3g (i have lte disabled) and had to reboot to get anything back, jumping ship to 4s or Maxx today.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Folks, there are no absolutes for any of these models. My SGN gets at least as good signal if not better than the Motorola I came from (which was also very solid). I still routinely get full 3G signal in places where VZ iPhone 4S' will not. I have none of the 3G/LTE hand-off issues that others have been complaining about. On the other hand, I've seen other 4S' pull signal extremely well and plenty of SGN's refuse to hold a signal.

Point is, there is not a high degree of quality control for any of these devices (including the iPhone). For the SGN, I do believe that the February device batches have marginally better QC than those released in November. Ditto the first batch of iPhones last year vs. later 4S production runs. The performance across all of these high end devices rapidly approaches the same upper limit for large device runs (your mileage will vary).

If you're experiencing lack of device reliability (for any model), unapologetically take it back for a replacement within your 14 day window and keep swapping out until you get a device that performs to your satisfaction. Moving to a different model is not necessarily the solution.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Folks, there are no absolutes for any of these models. My SGN gets at least as good signal if not better than the Motorola I came from (which was also very solid). I still routinely get full 3G signal in places where VZ iPhone 4S' will not. I have none of the 3G/LTE hand-off issues that others have been complaining about. On the other hand, I've seen other 4S' pull signal extremely well and plenty of SGN's refuse to hold a signal.

Point is, there is not a high degree of quality control for any of these devices (including the iPhone). For the SGN, I do believe that the February device batches have marginally better QC than those released in November. Ditto the first batch of iPhones last year vs. later 4S production runs. The performance across all of these high end devices rapidly approaches the same upper limit for large device runs (your mileage will vary).

If you're experiencing lack of device reliability (for any model), unapologetically take it back for a replacement within your 14 day window and keep swapping out until you get a device that performs to your satisfaction. Moving to a different model is not necessarily the solution.

While I agree with most of what you say, I must argue and say its not that easy. I got mine through a Verizon corporate store and specifically asked when I signed up how many replacements I can get. They said you are entitled to ONE replacement without the restocking fee. The Verizon reps seemed very naive. The tower is literally behind the store, so of course I couldn't get the phone to demonstrate any obvious signal issue; even though it was the only device in the store to have a fluctuating signal. Of course Verizon reps won't see that an issue either.

Using the iPhone 4s makes me glad I have Verizon, as I have a full signal everywhere I go (almost) ;) I really miss the 4G LTE speeds on the Nexus but at the end of the day all I cared about was getting grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data plan (which I did).

Something tells me this so called "update" will do absolutely nothing to the signal as Verizon says "nothing is wrong with it."

smcd5213

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I went through two Nexuses in rapid succession right after the launch; both had terrible reception issues. I finally gave up and got a Rezound.

The Rezound has been fantastic; rock solid signal pretty much everywhere I go and works precisely like I expected right out of the box. Just stone cold reliable, and never has a problem finding and holding a signal.

Still, I really wanted a Nexus again, as aside from the reception issues, I really liked it. I figured I'd wait on an OTA that addressed the issues, but I got tired of waiting.

So I took a chance and last week ordered a third Nexus from Amazon Wireless. I'm extremely pleased to report this one is working perfectly; in fact, in terms of signal it's right on par with the Rezound. I'm actually pretty shocked by this, but apparently there are indeed "good ones" out there. Strong 4G in those areas, quick hand-offs down to 3G and back up when necessary; it just plain works like it should. Put it to the "ultimate test" this evening; was shopping with the family, and it held 4g inside the stores like a champ. I can vividly recall the seething frustration last year after the holidays, standing in a store with my wife with no signal, unable to even make a call (with either of the first two I had) while my wife's Incredible 2 was holding a strong (3G) signal. The difference with this new on is truly night and day.

Maybe I lucked out and got a newer one that may have benefited from some small manufacturing/hardware tweak, who knows. I did notice that the phone already had 4.0.2 on it out of the box, not sure if that matters.

Anyway, I do hope they release an OTA soon to address the issues for the people who are still having them. Without the signal issues, this is a great device!

jakkzen

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
So I took a chance and last week ordered a third Nexus from Amazon Wireless. I'm extremely pleased to report this one is working perfectly; in fact, in terms of signal it's right on par with the Rezound. I'm actually pretty shocked by this, but apparently there are indeed "good ones" out there.

Maybe I lucked out and got a newer one that may have benefited from some small manufacturing/hardware tweak, who knows. I did notice that the phone already had 4.0.2 on it out of the box, not sure if that matters.

Anyway, I do hope they release an OTA soon to address the issues for the people who are still having them. Without the signal issues, this is a great device!

Glad to read that your new nexus is working like it should. I waited till the end of Feb to order mine (amazon) and it works great. I'm happy I'm not seeing issues with reception.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I have had my GN since December and really haven't experienced any lost signals or dropped calls. I use Wifi while in the house so 4G is off. If I turn it on to test I get about -100dBm in the house, sometimes the dBM will vary depending on what part of the house I am in. No phone I have ever had got a great signal in this house so this is probably due to it's construction.

When I am outside and about town I get -80 to -85dBM on 4G. I don't know if these are good or bad values but I don't seem to be having any issues.

brownph99

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I just received my GN last Friday and it's been relatively fine, except for the 4g signal. Wherever I've been at across town, Denver so it's supposed to be pretty good 4g, the phone will connect, show a decent signal 3-4 bars at work, and work for maybe 1-2 minutes and then shut down and reconnect again. These problems don't seem to surface with 4G turned off.

My question then being, is this software or hardware. I can live with it for the time being if I just need to wait for the next OTA but if this sounds more along the lines of a hardware issue then I want to take care of it soon.

jmorosky

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've had my GNex since March 8th. I was having 4G issues and by issues I mean no cell service when 4G wasn't working. I called VZ on the 15th they "fixed" it and by fixed it I mean they made it worse. I left my phone on unplugged last night with 82% battery left and when I woke up it was off. Plugged it up and checked the battery stats and it said "cell standby" 52%. The GNex was on for 7h 44m 18s and Time without signal was 37%. So I called today and it seems to be fixed. The tech I spoke with this time must've known what she was doing. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I just got my Nexus yesterday. I am at work (in the heart of downtown Spokane, WA) and I have terrible cell reception. Several times I've not been able to make a call and I dropped one call.
Will putting 4.0.3 or higher help with this? If not, this phone has to go, which would be terrible because I really like it otherwise!
(Oh yeah... My battery died today within 5 hours of taking off the charger (100%). I did use it a little, but not heavy or even moderately). Hoping for a software fix. I knew these were the chances with this phone, so I'll try and stick it out. I have a 30 day return window through Amazon).

So, scottymac5213, you got yours through Amazon and swapping it out actually "fixed" the reception issue? Wonder if there are different hardware builds or something?

Last edited:

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
If this is hardware related and if there are good batches out there since the launch of the device why not have Samsung do a recall of the device and have customers going to Verizon and exchanging for new devices? I am sure Verizon can look up when people started their contracts on this phone to eliminate people who would be just coming there to get a new phone. Just a thought...

pleeho

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I seriously suggest to all of you doubters to try repeatedly going back to your central Verizon store & request SIM card changeouts. I've tried this 3 times. The 3rd time was the charm. The 2nd time was the absolute worst - I could not stay in a call, I could not use my phone - it stay 32% without signal on average - averaged over 2 weeks! My 3rd SIM card change out fixed the entire signal-dropping, 4GLTE-to-3G tower hand-off issue basically completely. I can stay on signal so consistently that I can confidently stay in a 60minute phone call at work, I can listen to Google Music daily, I can watch YT vids all day, anywhere. I've had only 2 dropped signals in over 3 weeks now - one of those times was from the phone crashing during JogTracker use.

Try the SIM card change-out. It sometimes works. It worked for me.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I seriously suggest to all of you doubters to try repeatedly going back to your central Verizon store & request SIM card changeouts. I've tried this 3 times. The 3rd time was the charm. The 2nd time was the absolute worst - I could not stay in a call, I could not use my phone - it stay 32% without signal on average - averaged over 2 weeks! My 3rd SIM card change out fixed the entire signal-dropping, 4GLTE-to-3G tower hand-off issue basically completely. I can stay on signal so consistently that I can confidently stay in a 60minute phone call at work, I can listen to Google Music daily, I can watch YT vids all day, anywhere. I've had only 2 dropped signals in over 3 weeks now - one of those times was from the phone crashing during JogTracker use.

Try the SIM card change-out. It sometimes works. It worked for me.

So I got a new replacement SIM card sent to me, but I'm trying to figure out how to activate it. It is not associated with my account, but I have no idea how to actually get it activated and ready to go. Anyone know how?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord