Question "ok google" doesn't work after turning my car off unless I force stop the app...

seanmwaple

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
This is getting extremely frustrating. I have a 2022 Kia Stinger. Ok google works fine when i get in the car and am connected to bluetooth and/or android auto. When I get out of the car and get on my mobile data or another wifi network, "ok google" has no response. Doesn't even trigger the assistant... I have to force close the app and then it works immediately... How do I fix this?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Do you have an always powered stereo system in your vehicle? I know with some custom audio systems owners request that the system be always powered so they can do things like listen to music without the car running. If the system is always powered the head unit may not automatically disconnect from the device.

It might also be that there is a delay. On newer vehicles audio and windows don't turn off until the door is opened and on some they may not turn off for several minutes. Again this would be an issue of the head unit not disconnecting from the device. Have you ever tried to see how long it takes before this works normally again?

seanmwaple

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
So, does it work right with BT off?

Do you have an always powered stereo system in your vehicle? I know with some custom audio systems owners request that the system be always powered so they can do things like listen to music without the car running. If the system is always powered the head unit may not automatically disconnect from the device.

It might also be that there is a delay. On newer vehicles audio and windows don't turn off until the door is opened and on some they may not turn off for several minutes. Again this would be an issue of the head unit not disconnecting from the device. Have you ever tried to see how long it takes before this works normally again?
I have the premium audio upgrade package in my car. The head unit has an option to continue playing music when the car is off until I exit the vehicle. I have always had that turned off. My phone will disconnect itself from the bluetooth/wifi of the wireless android auto adapter after like 2-3 minutes once I exit the car and go into my house or wherever. But even then, the phone does not respond to "okay google". I have to force close the Google app or restart the phone. It's annoying as hell

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I have the premium audio upgrade package in my car. The head unit has an option to continue playing music when the car is off until I exit the vehicle. I have always had that turned off. My phone will disconnect itself from the bluetooth/wifi of the wireless android auto adapter after like 2-3 minutes once I exit the car and go into my house or wherever. But even then, the phone does not respond to "okay google". I have to force close the Google app or restart the phone. It's annoying as hell
Is the phones BT off when OK Google doesn’t respond?

seanmwaple

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
You also tried resetting network in settings?
Yep.

Is the phones BT off when OK Google doesn’t respond?
I've tried it on and off.... sidenote, I don't know if this is relevant but, everytime I turn bluetooth or wifi off, they automatically turn back on a couple seconds later. The wifi "network" it connects to is the one created by the wireless adapter.
It seems it getting confused once your away from the vehicle
Yes. So lets say I am connected to AA and driving. Then I get to my home and turn off my car. I go inside and I am on my home wifi. Google assistant wont even activate when I say "okay google". Unless of course, I force close the Google app. So now say that I am home for 30 minutes and I havent force closed the app. I need to go back to work so I get in my car and my phone connects to AA and "ok google" works flawlessly again. It's like the phone is trapped in another world lol

So something is wrong I just have no clue what...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yep.

I've tried it on and off.... sidenote, I don't know if this is relevant but, everytime I turn bluetooth or wifi off, they automatically turn back on a couple seconds later. The wifi "network" it connects to is the one created by the wireless adapter.

Yes. So lets say I am connected to AA and driving. Then I get to my home and turn off my car. I go inside and I am on my home wifi. Google assistant wont even activate when I say "okay google". Unless of course, I force close the Google app. So now say that I am home for 30 minutes and I havent force closed the app. I need to go back to work so I get in my car and my phone connects to AA and "ok google" works flawlessly again. It's like the phone is trapped in another world lol

So something is wrong I just have no clue what...
Have you cleared Data and force stop the "Google app"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali