One Month in....an

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
....from my change from the PIxel 3 to the Huawei P30 pro. So far, so good. I'm am more noted for what I don't do with a phone than what I do. I don't make many phone calls and receive none because I'm quite deaf. I do no social media because I'm 78-years old and male and find sitting down to coffee with a real person to be a social activity. I play no games on my phone, on my computer, or in real life. I have played games but they quickly become boring. For a variety of reasons I listen to almost no music and have never watched a music video. I like being able to watch videos on my phone but it's a feature I rarely use.

EMUI vs. Stock Android
This change was difficult. After years of stock Android the EMUI had a steep, and confusing, learning curve. It made me wonder if English and Chinese have a totally different logic. But, I used Android 10 for months and I've used EMUI for days and I'm comfortable with either. My biggest complaint with EMUI now is that the automatic brightness adjustment on the Huawei is on my default. Being old I like bright and wish I didn't have to reset brightness every morning when I power on the phone.

Hardware
I liked the Pixel phones and I like the Huawei phones. The P30 has an advantage with the battery size. The Pixel has an advantage by not having the damned curved screen. I have a case on my Huawei and I still inadvertently launch apps by touched the side of the screen.

Camera
This is my key feature. For years, Pixel had it locked with HDR+ and fantastic processing with proprietary hardware. But, without a decent zoom lens or any wide-angle lens on the Pixel 4, Google has lost ground. I'm not impressed with the marketing hype of 50x but a 5x optical zoom is nice. The wide-angel is, for me, a necessity. I like having the "pro" option on the software and wish the entire range of options for the camera in the P30 pro had HDR+.

The camera had, and has, a steep learning curve but I'm enjoying the camera. If I ever learn to find Google Photos to post on this forum I'll send pictures of Oaxaca. I used Chrome OS.