One UI or another launcher?

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So. I am, normally, pretty particular on how my home screens are configured. On my standard phones, I have always used Nova Launcher Prime.

How is One UI on the Z Fold? How is the customizations for being able to have a pretty minimal screen?

My normal configuration on my Note 20 Ultra is to have NO icons on the screen, but I use 3 pages of Docks with folders and also use the Side Panel for even more. I normally just have a clock/weather widget on the screen and a second screen with my Calendar Widget and Samsung Health. The main display, I really like to keep pretty clean.

Has anyone tried 3rd party launchers with this phone and have any really optimized for the folding screen's aspect ratio?

Thanks!

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I've used Nova and other launchers on Fold 2... I had to use Tasker to run two different launchers as for the Fold you are unable to set up different settings inside and outside like stock One UI.. Fold 3 I'm currently running stock OneUI but I miss the gestures and multiple dock pages.... And I don't like the icon packs in Samsung store...

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I've used Nova and other launchers on Fold 2... I had to use Tasker to run two different launchers as for the Fold you are unable to set up different settings inside and outside like stock One UI.. Fold 3 I'm currently running stock OneUI but I miss the gestures and multiple dock pages.... And I don't like the icon packs in Samsung store...

Thanks for that. I guess we'll have to see what the Dev's can cook up once the phone has been out a bit longer. It seems more people are getting into the Foldable phones with the Fold 3 than they had with the previous models. I know almost a dozen people here locally that have or are ordering them over previous releases. Well, I am one of them, so I hope things work out and we get some good options.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for that. I guess we'll have to see what the Dev's can cook up once the phone has been out a bit longer. It seems more people are getting into the Foldable phones with the Fold 3 than they had with the previous models. I know almost a dozen people here locally that have or are ordering them over previous releases. Well, I am one of them, so I hope things work out and we get some good options.
I hope so I don't see any movement now with development on 3rd party launchers.. You would think that 3rd generation they would have already done something with optimization...

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Nova already told at the moment they aren't doing anything for foldables, so if you are waiting for different layouts from Nova then it won't be happening anytime soon. Below is supposedly Nova response when someone reached out and asked for Fold support for different layouts.

"Hello,

The usage of foldable devices is still very miniscule compared to that of "normal" devices so it really isn't worth the development time or effort for us to try and make Nova fully compatible with the dual screens of foldable devices or dual screen devices.

There are so many things that have to be done for dual screen layouts such as thinking about how icons behave and look on both screens, how do widgets look and behave and so much more.

Currently, even after being around for a couple of years now, we feel it's just not worth it to spend the endless amounts of time that is needed to work on these devices, knowing that things will change repeatedly over the coming months or next couple of years.

Due to the costs involved in making these devices, the pricing isn't likely to drop significantly enough over the next couple of years to make these devices mainstream, which in turn means we simply won't be able to support them fully at this time or in the near future.

Nova will work. The only issue you'll have is you won't be able to have a separate layout for the front screen and the rear screen. Layouts will use the same layout, and might look slightly different due to screen resolution and DPI between the two screens."

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Nova already told at the moment they aren't doing anything for foldables, so if you are waiting for different layouts from Nova then it won't be happening anytime soon. Below is supposedly Nova response when someone reached out and asked for Fold support for different layouts.

"Hello,

The usage of foldable devices is still very miniscule compared to that of "normal" devices so it really isn't worth the development time or effort for us to try and make Nova fully compatible with the dual screens of foldable devices or dual screen devices.

There are so many things that have to be done for dual screen layouts such as thinking about how icons behave and look on both screens, how do widgets look and behave and so much more.

Currently, even after being around for a couple of years now, we feel it's just not worth it to spend the endless amounts of time that is needed to work on these devices, knowing that things will change repeatedly over the coming months or next couple of years.

Due to the costs involved in making these devices, the pricing isn't likely to drop significantly enough over the next couple of years to make these devices mainstream, which in turn means we simply won't be able to support them fully at this time or in the near future.

Nova will work. The only issue you'll have is you won't be able to have a separate layout for the front screen and the rear screen. Layouts will use the same layout, and might look slightly different due to screen resolution and DPI between the two screens."

I can understand their stance, but would be nice to have something, well, if I decide I don't like OneUI. :D

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I can understand their stance, but would be nice to have something, well, if I decide I don't like OneUI. :D
Personally I'm sticking with One UI, it isn't that bad but it comes down to personal taste. I used to not customize that much even my Nova and other launchers but mostly used them to switch it up a bit once in a while. So for me One UI works just fine

I also use Niagara launcher, along with many other launchers like Microsoft launcher. Below someone posted response from Niagara launcher dev who has Fold 3 and wants to support it. So it all depends on the dev.

https://i.redd.it/z3sdlnhpbxk71.jpg

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I just wish I could change the app drawer to scroll vertically. Would love more icons per outage as well. Nova was perfect for me but to have a 10x9 layout on the front screen is horrible.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I can only speak for One UI on my S10 - which, IMO, was a definite upgrade to Samsung's OS over the years. I loved the customization and how grown-up it seemed to look. It looked too cartoony (ironic, coming from someone who loves cartoons) and stale before, when I'd see it on other Samsung devices. I recommend giving it a shot!