Overrated lag machine

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There is no way your S 4 is faster than an iPhone 5 which you basically admit when you say it lags and stutters.
I'd argue Lag is not the same as Speed (I think a common conflation). I can certainly believe the S4 may be faster sorting a directory in Google Drive, or applying a filter in some photo app; but may stutter in some page zooms, or take 0.6 seconds to bring up the home screen instead of 0.1 seconds. I'm with you in finding the latter annoying, but it does not preclude the former.

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
There is no way your S 4 is faster than an iPhone 5 which you basically admit when you say it lags and stutters. Lag is not from a defective phone either. It's from Touchwiz primarily and carrier crapware secondarily. When you get lag even with cleanrom then it's Touchwiz. If you want anS 4 without lag then you need a rom without Touchwiz. Samsung really underestimated what people are willing to put up with. Maybe they thought all the new features that don't work would snow people but it didn't work on everyone. So you either minimize the stutter by turning off as much as possible or install a rom without TW. Your best bet is probably stock android. Then you only have to deal with cheap construction quality and a screen you can't see outside. No wonder S 4 sales are so much under expectations resulting in a big hit to Samsung stock. Samsung simply didn't do their best work here or what the are truly capable of.

You know what...I don't even want to bother to try and convince you. There's no point. Go back to your iPhone 5 and enjoy.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'd argue Lag is not the same as Speed (I think a common conflation). I can certainly believe the S4 may be faster sorting a directory in Google Drive, or applying a filter in some photo app; but may stutter in some page zooms, or take 0.6 seconds to bring up the home screen instead of 0.1 seconds. I'm with you in finding the latter annoying, but it does not preclude the former.
My expectation would be that the speed of one specific task (eg. applying a filter) is dependent on the processor speed (cpu/graphics chip), but "lag" is more signal/interrupt handling (eg. user moved finger, or another app checked memory, while the filter was being applied). That would be consistent with the S4 having a speed freak cpu, and yet occasionally stuttering same as a phone from 2 years ago.

Some have argued Android is just plagued with this at its lowest levels. But HTC has clearly handled it quite well. Samsung can certainly do a lot better. Will they?

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Yeah except that phone runs like ****. I had one and just recently switched to the Galaxy S4 and don't get the lag complaints. This phone flies past my HD Maxx

My HD runs great! The S4 that I had was laggy. So I guess that we cancel each other out.:)
You may not get the lag complaints, but with probably thousands of these complaints, there must be something to them.

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Everyone keeps saying their moto HD and HTC has it figured out and the HTC one, S3 and Note 2 have no lag compared to the S4... Neither one has 4.2 running on it. I have had 3 devices running 4.2 and a note 2 on aosp 4.2, none have run as smooth as a phone running on 4.1. I have always felt 4.2 as being buggy and laggy compared to 4.1. I would like to see if the other phones ran as well on 4.2 with their ui running on it.
Something to think about, the S3, S4 and Note 2 run basically the same UI but only the S4 running the 4.2 OS.
Each to their own, but this is my 2?.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Everyone keeps saying their moto HD and HTC has it figured out and the HTC one, S3 and Note 2 have no lag compared to the S4... Neither one has 4.2 running on it. I have had 3 devices running 4.2 and a note 2 on aosp 4.2, none have run as smooth as a phone running on 4.1. I have always felt 4.2 as being buggy and laggy compared to 4.1. I would like to see if the other phones ran as well on 4.2 with their ui running on it.
Something to think about, the S3, S4 and Note 2 run basically the same UI but only the S4 running the 4.2 OS.
Each to their own, but this is my 2?.

You may be on to something. 4.2 is the difference in the phones. And even after the "fix" update, many people are still complaining of lag.

Halcyon

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I just recieved the OTA update. My GS4 was smooth with very little lag prior. Now I have zero lag :) Its like butter! Im betting people experiencing lag after the update is due to apps they are running. Im just not seeing lag at all now. Super happy with the speed of the update from Verizon.

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I just recieved the OTA update. My GS4 was smooth with very little lag prior. Now I have zero lag :) Its like butter! Im betting people experiencing lag after the update is due to apps they are running. Im just not seeing lag at all now. Super happy with the speed of the update from Verizon.

Same here. Smooth as butter! Loving it!

Sent from my Galaxy S4

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
You may be on to something. 4.2 is the difference in the phones. And even after the "fix" update, many people are still complaining of lag.

Dirty updates which verizon does is the worst way to update. It will cause lag to happen. The best thing to do after a update is to format the phone to factory and you will be golden.

Last edited:

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Interesting that VZ has nothing in their lengthy upgrade bulletpoint list about overall performance, or user experience smoothness, etc.

On the other hand, they do mention they've added Wifi to the quick toggles, while several folks have reported that it's still in the Notification list area (isn't in both job?).

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Interesting that VZ has nothing in their lengthy upgrade bulletpoint list about overall performance, or user experience smoothness, etc.

On the other hand, they do mention they've added Wifi to the quick toggles, while several folks have reported that it's still in the Notification list area (isn't in both job?).

It's still in notifications, no toggle.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
How come? I can see possibility of compatibility issues with an upgrade-in-place, but why lag?

It's the same thing as doing a upgrade of WIndows. Things do always go to plan. When dealing with the Rezound whenever a update came out and people came in to complain (95% was lag) the first thing we asked was did you format the phone after the update. All of them said no. After they came back they were amazed that the format fixed the issue.

The Technical reason i can no fully give as I don't fully know. I just know it has worked in the past and it's the first troubleshooting step Verizon does 90% of the time

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

Yup, it's definitely a lot better. That stutter and lag was annoying as anything. We finally got the performance we paid for!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teresa Belmonte