P6 brightness not too bright

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you noticing this in sunlight?

See this article: https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-6-pro-display-review/. Most notably, this paragraph: "In terms of screen brightness, both the Pixel 6 and the Pixel 6 Pro perform nearly identical to each other, and they both get bright enough to use the phone under sunlight. With auto-brightness enabled, both phones get up to about 750–770 nits for fullscreen white, boosting up to 1000–1100 nits for content with lower average light levels (“APL”). Sadly the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro can only maintain their high brightness mode for five minutes at a time out of every thirty minutes, so using the phone extensively outside may not be ideal. After five minutes, the phone display will ramp down to about 470 nits, which is both phones’ maximum manual brightness when auto-brightness is disabled."

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Another main reason why I dumped the Pixel 6Pro. Out here in Colorado, the sun shines brightly. Even at max brightness setting , taking a landscape pic of a mountain, meadow, tree, girlfriend’s portrait, I could not see the freakin image at all to take a simple picture. What a design failure this was! Glad to have dumped that poorly designed phone along with its horrible modem. And btw, not talking about those who take indoor, nightime or cloudy day shots or who sit by Wifi or hang close to a tower. Phone works fine then. The S22 Ultra and iOS 13Pro Max both have far better brightness settings… not to mention, real flagship designed modems.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Another main reason why I dumped the Pixel 6Pro. Out here in Colorado, the sun shines brightly. Even at max brightness setting , taking a landscape pic of a mountain, meadow, tree, girlfriend’s portrait, I could not see the freakin image at all to take a simple picture. What a design failure this was! Glad to have dumped that poorly designed phone along with its horrible modem. And btw, not talking about those who take indoor, nightime or cloudy day shots or who sit by Wifi or hang close to a tower. Phone works fine then. The S22 Ultra and iOS 13Pro Max both have far better brightness settings… not to mention, real flagship designed modems.

We've been using the same sun here in Georgia for years!

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
We've been using the same sun here in Georgia for years!

Far from it! You’re comparing the brightness and intensity of Georgia’s sunshine, UV’s to Colorado’s? I’ve got no more skin in the game with the 6Pro. Enjoy your phone.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Haven't had any problems with the California sun, nor with the cell radio, but maybe I'm lucky!

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Far from it! You’re comparing the brightness and intensity of Georgia’s sunsShine, UV’s to Colorado’s? I’ve got no more skin in the game with the 6Pro. Enjoy your phone.

Same sun. Same earth. 93 million miles between them.

I haven't had any problems with the Georgia sun and my Pixel 6 Pro works just fine.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks? Friendly bit of advice -- let's make sure this thread doesn't turn into another "this phone stinks" "no it doesn't" "yes it does" "no it doesn't" discussion. Stick to the OP's original question. Thanks!

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes the Pixel's max brightness is lower than other phones like the Galaxy or iPhone. The max brightness I believe is 500nits, whereas the current Galaxy S22 Ultra is 1,700 nits and iPhone 13 Pro Max 1,200 nits of brightness, so they're both remarkably brighter than the Pixel.

If the phone at max brightness is too dim for you (as it is for me), there's nothing you can do unfortunately than setting brightness to max.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I guess being in dreary Britain has been lucky for me. I rarely turn the brightness above 40% and when I do turn it up outside it has been plenty bright enough for me. But as I said I am lucky. Also no modem issues so far when I am out. I often use my phone for GPS and no dropouts in maps either crossing from Derbyshire to London and further north to Manchester.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Could someone explain the concept of SUN and what is SUN?

edited to add: Oh, I see that there is no descriptor or location associated with my avatar. It normally expresses "pacific northWET or northWET washington"

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes the Pixel's max brightness is lower than other phones like the Galaxy or iPhone. The max brightness I believe is 500nits, whereas the current Galaxy S22 Ultra is 1,700 nits and iPhone 13 Pro Max 1,200 nits of brightness, so they're both remarkably brighter than the Pixel.

If the phone at max brightness is too dim for you (as it is for me), there's nothing you can do unfortunately than setting brightness to max.

Hero, do you keep your Pixel 6 at Max all the time, both indoors and outdoors?

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Could someone explain the concept of SUN and what is SUN?

I don't want to freak you out, but the earth is not completely enclosed in a gray shroud. The sky is quite expansive and some of us can see the SUN. It is a star around which our earth orbits. You experience it as the difference between the lighter gray "sky" during the day and the darker gray at night. That is the SUN shining on the top of the clouds.

deftdrummer

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The P6P remains a crappy phone in 2023. I've had it since launch. Between the shoddy fingerprint reader, and low brightness outdoors, the poorly performing modem - I continue to be astoundingly disappointed Google gets flagship phone design wrong, to this day. Thinking about switching entirely.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The P6P remains a crappy phone in 2023. I've had it since launch. Between the shoddy fingerprint reader, and low brightness outdoors, the poorly performing modem - I continue to be astoundingly disappointed Google gets flagship phone design wrong, to this day. Thinking about switching entirely.
What you thinking about getting?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jermz1084