Question parental controls delete-able how to fix this?

jaeggle

Dec 13, 2023
Visit site
Components: Package Installer notifications and Manage Device admin Apps

there is a issue were if you have a parental control app on a child's phone they can delete it, the steps to do so are as follows.
1) attempt to delete app
2) go to the notifications select the package installer notification of the failed attempt to delete, and drop it down and select Manage Device admin apps
3) attempt to change the settings to remove admin access, if quick enough you can change it before its blocked.
4) once changed attempt to delete the app again - this time it will get deleted.

I have a Video it will go through the steps, however it will not let me upload a .mp4 file but works on all parental control apps so far, how can this be fixed ??? trying to keep younger kids from deleting parental controls.

jaeggle

Dec 13, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you also using Google's Family Link to supervise their accounts, or are they older than 13?
younger then 13, Google Family Link does the same thing. he just deletes it. so been playing around on multiple apps and all the same result, its a little tricky but if your fast enough you can turn off the admin privileges, (and he has time to play on it, to keep attempting until he does), then delete it. so kind of makes the Parental Controls pointless. they are not securely on the device. I even attempted to turn off the notifications from Package Installer and Manage Device admin Apps, and the apps them self's, but the Package Installer and Manage Device notifications are grayed out. so you can not turn them off, attempted in developer mode as well but a no go... do to it being a system managed software... if i can turn them off, then he would not be able to delete the apps cause the notification would not pop up for him to manipulate.

the issue is busted him looking at hentia anime, so a solid grounding and "the talk" (being a young boy, those temptations will be there to look, we all went through it lol, home internet has content filtering to block but phone service does not... pulse he deleted them. honestly impressed he found a way to do it) but he needs his phone for after school activity's so i know where he is at and pick him up... but until i figure this out i think he will not have his phone - just trying to block crap he absolutely does not need to be engaging in or even stumble across at his age.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that Family Link can't be deleted from a phone -- but the thing is that his Google account would have had to be set up properly (i.e., with his true age), rather than with a "fake" age. Does his Google account reflect his true age?

Reactions: J Dubbs

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
younger then 13, Google Family Link does the same thing. he just deletes it. so been playing around on multiple apps and all the same result, its a little tricky but if your fast enough you can turn off the admin privileges, (and he has time to play on it, to keep attempting until he does), then delete it. so kind of makes the Parental Controls pointless. they are not securely on the device. I even attempted to turn off the notifications from Package Installer and Manage Device admin Apps, and the apps them self's, but the Package Installer and Manage Device notifications are grayed out. so you can not turn them off, attempted in developer mode as well but a no go... do to it being a system managed software... if i can turn them off, then he would not be able to delete the apps cause the notification would not pop up for him to manipulate.

the issue is busted him looking at hentia anime, so a solid grounding and "the talk" (being a young boy, those temptations will be there to look, we all went through it lol, home internet has content filtering to block but phone service does not... pulse he deleted them. honestly impressed he found a way to do it) but he needs his phone for after school activity's so i know where he is at and pick him up... but until i figure this out i think he will not have his phone - just trying to block crap he absolutely does not need to be engaging in or even stumble across at his age.
You need to take the phone somewhere and have someone who is much more tech savvy set up Family Link, or whatever parental control service they recommend. Then show you how to administer it properly. Is there someone at their school you can contact about this matter? A staff counselor? Other parents? This a very common issue that other parents are also coping with and can be a great source of info and such.

Currently, from your stated description it's obvious your child knows more about this phone than you do. Any reputable parental control service that is implemented and configured properly cannot be defeated so easily by the child.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tested this specific issue, but there is one issue I've found that allows going around Family Link that allowed the child's tablet to turn Wi-Fi on/off during startup. My wife discovered it one time when we were having issues unlocking a tablet for one of our kids. Allowing a complete uninstall would be all together different, though. I would at the very least expect Google to send a notification to the parent of it happening so you can quickly regain control.

Reactions: jaeggle

jaeggle

Dec 13, 2023
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that Family Link can't be deleted from a phone -- but the thing is that his Google account would have had to be set up properly (i.e., with his true age), rather than with a "fake" age. Does his Google account reflect his true age?
Yes it does have his correct age, Lol I made a whole video of it, but yes family link can be deleted, with the method described with my original post. That's why I am here, asking or more less describing the bug trying to figure out a solution. I can send you a video. In the video I was able to do it with two different apps but the same process is used and can be repeated with google family link.
You need to take the phone somewhere and have someone who is much more tech savvy set up Family Link, or whatever parental control service they recommend. Then show you how to administer it properly. Is there someone at their school you can contact about this matter? A staff counselor? Other parents? This a very common issue that other parents are also coping with and can be a great source of info and such.

Currently, from your stated description it's obvious your child knows more about this phone than you do. Any reputable parental control service that is implemented and configured properly cannot be defeated so easily by the child.
seriously no help lol I am a tech professional. it's a flaw in the Android OS specifically in the "Package Installer notifications" and "Manage Device admin Apps" its not a old phone nor a cheap one its a "Samsung galaxy s20 5G" (but the model really does not matter, its the OS, Build that has the flaw in it.)

jaeggle

Dec 13, 2023
Visit site

Also, this kid received a technology achievement award at 3 years old for discovering major flaws in Nabi tablets. They utilized his insights to enhance their products. It's amusing because he's not a typical kid; he's too smart for his own good at times, but he's a good kid. The situation was funny because I had to record him in action. They arranged a video call with both of us to witness it themselves. So, honestly, the skepticism is understandable. However, instead of questioning others' intelligence, please try the steps yourself. Alternatively, I can send you the video for you to see how it's done and gain a better understanding. You'll realize that it can be reproduced.