Pentile screen?

green2u

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Funny enough, I find the screen to be very good. I see absolutely none of the effects you folks are talking about.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
I agree: I think the screen is gorgeous. I was hesitant to get this phone thinking the screen was gonna look like a dot matrix printout! I'm coming from a Palm Pre so maybe any screen would be more decent. :)

maddmatt02

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Also, I have terrible long distance vision (I wear contacts for it and see fine however), but have always had good close up vision. I'm fairly certain 9 inches (yes I measured) is not an unusual distance to hold your phone away from your eyes.

I dont know, that seems pretty close to me. if I am sitting at a table and have the phone above the table then I cant really hold it farther away, but its still about a foot away from my face. if I am sitting in just a bench or something without a table to block my vision, then I have it probably around 18+ inches from my eyes. I might have it closer when reading text like email or browsing but it seems most people complain when watching videos, which is when I hold it farthest away anyways. also I only have a 3.2" screen, so I shouldnt need it as close if I have a big screen like the photon. I havent seen the phone yet but Ive been wanting this one so hopefully when i get a chance to use it, it wont bother me and I will end up with this phone to replace my optimus.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I've read on other sites in other discussions about pentiles that posted pics are not the most accurate representation due to the way digital imagery works when photographing screens. I'm not saying that the pics lie; obviously for those who can see the pentile effect, they're spot on. For those who can't, though, no pic is going to convince them their phone suffers from what they see in the image.

So this pretty much confirms what I thought about pentile screens: you can't go by pics or videos to determine how the phone will look to you. The only way to see whether or not pentile will bother you is to check one out in person.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
So this pretty much confirms what I thought about pentile screens: you can't go by pics or videos to determine how the phone will look to you. The only way to see whether or not pentile will bother you is to check one out in person.

This is right on the money.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I just stopped by Verizon to look at the pentile screen on the Droid X2 and thought it looked great. It's all a matter of personal perspective.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
OK I just got my photon a couple of hours ago, and I can't see this screen door effect at all. maybe this is like the rainbow dlp effect that certain people can only see?

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I have both phones, I haven't found the battery life to be any better on the Photon, and it's no more sturdy than any other Android phone I've used. A lot of these phones are very similar now, so in many cases it's going to come down to things like how the screen looks. I'm going to give it a week to see if I get used to it. But I already find myself favoring the 3D.

What has you leaning towards the 3D? I'm considering both of these phones.

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I swapped my Evo 3D out for the Photon and I have to say that I used the 3D pretty heavy and the battery lasted me all day. In other words battery life on it wasnt an issue for me. I had other issues with that phone that were unacceptable for me so I decided to swap it for the Photon.

What other issues did you have with the 3D?

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree: I think the screen is gorgeous. I was hesitant to get this phone thinking the screen was gonna look like a dot matrix printout! I'm coming from a Palm Pre so maybe any screen would be more decent. :)

Leave my little Pre alone! lol

Got2buzz

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Compared 3D and Photon screens side by side at a Sprint store today. My eyesight is not that great, but the difference was obvious. 3D screen was bright, clean, crisp-had some real "life" to it. Photon dull, muddy and although not over whelming-graininess (print in particular) was easy to detect from any angle. Nice phone but definately a "step back in time" display. No I don't own EITHER phone and the Photon is now OFF my list! :p

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Yeah almost everyone hates it. I remember back when there was a rumor that the 3d would have it and many were pissed. Glad that rumor wasn't true :)

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Compared 3D and Photon screens side by side at a Sprint store today. My eyesight is not that great, but the difference was obvious. 3D screen was bright, clean, crisp-had some real "life" to it. Photon dull, muddy and although not over whelming-graininess (print in particular) was easy to detect from any angle. Nice phone but definately a "step back in time" display. No I don't own EITHER phone and the Photon is now OFF my list! :p

I'm just returning home from my local Sprint store after comparing the phones side by side. Yes, I did see the Photon's graininess but only because I knew to look for it thanks to this forum. To me, it's really not a big deal. I do love my new 3D but some of the specs of the Photon definitely has me thinking.

As others have stated, go play with these new phones yourself and come to your own conclusions. Forums like this are great at making you aware of some things and providing solutions to others but nothing can replace your own personal hands on experience.

If I did not own a 3D, I don't think I would have any problem getting the Photon. Both phones are a TREMENDOUS upgrade over my little Palm Pre! :D

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I have to say... I was a hater, and now I'm a lover. I had the 3d and this phone side by side today... a friend's 3d and my Photon. It was in bright sunlight, no shade. The Evo 3d was no match for the sun. The Photon was like a beacon.

Any problem I had with this display I've now chalked up to extreme nerd pixel-peeping. You have to put the two phones side-by-side to see a difference, and even then the difference is really subtle.

But here's the difference... you put the two phones side by side and compare other features, the Evo 3D loses in practically every category (at least for me, which is why I took mine back).

Battery life, application storage, speed, the car and hdtv docks, the future laptop thingy, many useful additional features, bluetooth signal without having to turn off wifi, 3g and wifi strength and speed, call clarity, better auto-brightness, no over-bright lights behind the bottom buttons... heck, I could go on longer.

So all you crazy anal geeks feel free to choose the inferior phone for the subtle differences you see like "more life" or perceived "zing" in the screen. I've learned to look at it differently, and the screen is now beautiful to me. Take 'em out in the sun, too... if you want to have some fun.

wburbage

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't have too much of a problem with the screen, only when I'm looking at things with high-contract. My Twitter client is white on black and is horrible when scrolling. I almost have to close my eyes when doing it. But in all honestly, if I can find another Twitter app that deals with this better that's what I'm going for. The ability for me to see the display in bright light far outweighs me having to find another Twitter app. I can almost guarantee anyone this phone will have one of the best displays in bright light. Is there a trade-off, absolutely but the speed and other features of this phone are pretty sweet. (but please fix the issue where I can't hear my phone calls)

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
The screen is a huge disapointment.. Also if you just swipe around the homescreens, you will notice how much faster and fluid the evo is over it. Noticable lag through the ui on the photon. Besides these things, it seems to be an ok phone.

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Never got any lag on homescreens. Display is awesome in direct sunlight. I am use to holding a thicker phone (epic) so I occasionally bumped the search button with my hand. Other than that I am so loving this phone.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
after some more time with the photon, I can see some of the things that people are talking about. Low res videos suffer from a reddish tint and a screen door look, but properly encoded video looks fantastic, games look great too. I highly suggest using the motorola media link to get the best results. Netflix looks great too.

fintablayze

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think anyone can notice the "pentile" screen unless you REALLY look carefully.. I watched netflix and the screen looked amazingly crisp. My friend who has the 3D could not notice anything, and he even agrees that on the lowest brightness setting, the photon looks better. Also being better in sunlight is a huge plus for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neil15oo