Phone Incapable of Fast Charging?

js10

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
One of the things I like least about my relatively new (still within the first year) Galaxy A32 is what seems to me like a LONG charge time -- significantly longer than my old and supposedly inferior Moto G6. But I've always been using the standard charger than came with it, and figured I would improve upon that by buying what is supposed to be a "Super Fast Wall Charger." However, I'm not seeing any difference at all with it -- it's not the least bit "super fast."

The question, then, is is the charger not as effective as advertised, or is this phone just incapable of fast charging? By the way, the A32 IS listed as a compatible phone in its product description, but I don't know if that just means that it's capable of charging it at all and not if it's capable of charging it extra-quickly.

Thank you.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The A32 is rated up to 15W charging, so it should be able to do so. However, a few things to check. Is the charger a Samsung original one or a certified compatible one? If not, the phone may not recognize it as such and just go with standard charging. Are you using the supplied cable or a high-quality one? This can also impact whether or not the phone can recognize the higher charging speeds. Is Fast Charging enabled in your battery settings? If so, when you plug in a compatible charger, you should see the 'Fast Charging' or 'Super Fast Charging' legend on the charging indicator.

js10

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
Okay, so the charger itself is definitely Samsung-brand. The exact name is "Samsung Super Fast Wall Charger with USB-C to USB-C cable." And then it says 25 Watt. I'm now guessing that that might be part of the problem if it's only up to 15 Watt. As for the cable, I'm just using the one in the box, described above. I just checked and fast charging IS enabled in the settings. And, sure enough, when I plug it in, it does say "fast charging." However, what's interesting is that when I did so, it said something like 1h35m until full charge, and when I then toggled that setting to off, it was, I think, 1h43m. So hardly a big difference between the time remaining when fast charging is one versus fast charging is off. Which, as explained above, is exactly what I was experiencing even before I ran this test!

js10

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
And does the fact that you put that in quotes imply that you don't really agree with that assessment -- that 2:19 from 0% to 100% is fast? Because it sure doesn't seem fast to me. Again, not even nearly as fast as my old Moto G6.

It was fast at the time (2 years ago) -- remember that this was in comparison to standard 5W charging. Charging speeds continue to increase over the years -- the S23 uses a 45W charger, and can charge to full in an hour: https://www.sammobile.com/news/gala...sted the charging speeds,to 61% in 30 minutes.

Also keep in mind that the A32 5G is a budget phone, and budget phones don't necessarily have the top-of-the-line charging spec.