Phone updates ... PRL updates ... Sprint VoiceMail updates

xpanmanx

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
My Evo is rooted with U3 and U4Ever, I've installed Ra Recovery, and I'm running CM6 and pulling a nightly every couple of days.

I don't know how to handle phone updates ... PRL updates ... Sprint VoiceMail updates ... etc

With my dangerous newbie knowledge the process looks like this ...

1> Titanium backup
2> Nandroid backup
3> Wipe
4> Load the rooted 2.2 stock rom
5> Run the desired updates
6> Nandroid restore
7> Titanium restore

Is there an easier way? Or if not have I missed anything in my process?

Thank you so much --

SanGo

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Skip the titanium backups. A nand backup keeps all your apps and data, titanium sometimes causes problems with cm6

xpanmanx

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I thought the basic nand backup didn't capture apps and data? ...or if I'm mistaken, does it capture apps and data from the card, also?

nand+ext doesn't work on my phone....I need to learn more about why that's so.

thetony2313

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
no, your sd card never gets deleted with installing roms as far as im led to believe, I just do a nandroid backup, wipe everything (except sd card), and flash the rom i want. But usually when you flash an update to a rom you dont have to wipe. Such as cm6 to cm6 nightly. Hope this helps.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I thought the basic nand backup didn't capture apps and data? ...or if I'm mistaken, does it capture apps and data from the card, also?

nand+ext doesn't work on my phone....I need to learn more about why that's so.

nand backup captures everything. Data, apps, texts, everything. It's an exact copy of your phone in the state it is in when you run the nand backup. It doesnt make a backup of the SDcard unless you have a partition and chose the back that up as well with nand+ext. Flashing ROMs and wiping and such doesnt do anything to your sdcard unless you have a partition and chose to wipe the ext.

and to answer your second question, it's because you don't have your SD card partitioned for apps2sd ;)

Last edited:

xpanmanx

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the help! I appreciate it.

So, then, to update the phone and PRLs I do this ...

1> Nandroid backup
2> Wipe
3> Load the rooted 2.2 stock rom
4> Run the desired updates
5> Nandroid restore

...correct?

Monday evening, I flashed the CM6 nightly and then learned about the Sprint VVM .ZIP. I installed VVM and all was well, until I found out that the nightly had killed screen rotation. So I flashed back to the previous nightly...and promptly lost Sprint VVM. I had to reinstall it. Did I eff up or is this expected behavior?

Thanks!

daving313

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Be careful when restoring data...You can sometimes run in to funky things. I only ever restored bookmarks on Titanium to avoid screw-ups.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582