Picked up VZW's Version of the G4

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, I hated to switch back to Android, basically because I hate the built-in carrier lag, but I had no other option. The iOS hotspot just doesn't work with anything not iOS related. Since that's half my equipment at home, I had no choice but to switch back to Android. I picked up a White G4 last night. My Brother-in-Law has my International Version because he has AT&T. I liked it a lot more than I do the VZW version, but I can't give up my unlimited data to switch to any other carrier. (I use 50+GB per month. Actually last month I used over 100GB.)

So, back to Android full-time. No more daily drive with the iPhone.

I do so hate going to the VZW store. I should have ordered online, but I can't take off this week to be home to sign for the delivery. Here's how my evening went at the wonderful VZW store last night.

VZW - Can I help you?
Me - Yup. I'm here to buy a White G4. I called earlier and you have one in stock.
VZW - Are you upgrading, adding a line, or a new customer.
Me - Nope. None of the above. Just want to buy the phone outright.
VZW - What's your number? (I give him my number) So you want to upgrade that line.
Me - No. No I don't want to upgrade that line. In fact, I don't even want to switch out SIM cards. I have a nano SIM with a micro adaptor that works just fine. Just sell me the phone and I'll plug in my SIM and be on my way.
VZW - Sir, we can't do that. You have to add it to a line.
Me - I do it all the time. In fact, I just swapped out the sim last night to go to work today, so, yes you can.
VZW - No sir. We can't sell you a phone without activating the SIM.
Me - I have ordered several phones from the website and when they arrive, just plugged in my current sim and away I go. So, yes, you can sell me a phone without activating the SIM.
VZW - No sir. That's online only.

At this point I get frustrated and walk out to order it online. Halfway to my car, I decided to go back and talk to a manager because I can't be home to sign for it.

Manager comes up and asked if he can help.

Me - Yes. I have $600 and I want to buy a phone. You have the phone I want to buy, so what's it going to take to sell it to me.

We go back and forth with basically the same thing said between us above. At this point, I'm actually trying to figure out how to do this and they really don't seem to want to sell me a dang phone.

Finally I say, "OK. Activate the phone with the 'installed' SIM."

They do. After the 10-20 minutes of paying and waiting for it to be activated its finally finished. All the while I'm thinking I really want the nano SIM. If nothing else, just to show them that you can have both.

So after it's done and activated and working, I say, "I have one more thing I need. Please activate the iPhone I have in my hand here on that line."
The clerk looks at me and says, "But you just bought this G4."
I say, "Yup. And the G4's now mine, but I want this iPhone to replace the G4. Thanks."
Needless to say, I walked out with the nano SIM. It's sad that I had to come up with a solution for a $600 purchase to happen.

maybish

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I hate going into the Verizon store! They always want to upgrade your line and I had a similar situation with the sim card as well. Idiots.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

spiraleze

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
That is why I went to Best Buy for my G4. Same scenario, unlimited data and I bought the phone outright. I told them that I would activate the phone myself and after we confirmed that the box actually had the phone I wanted, I completed the purchase. Later when I arrived home, I swapped my SIM for the pre-installed SIM before I turned on the phone and have been good since.

slapshot486

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
You aren't the only one that has a bad taste in mouth after leaving the corporate store. Two stories from one visit:

1. Tried to get a new sim card for my iPad 2. It came with TMo sim, and Apple folks said I could just put a VZW sim and it would work. I pay month-to-month without it being on my account. Store guy says they can only give me a sim if I put it on the account for $10 a month. Nicely said he was full of it. I didn't bother pursuing it more because it wasn't the reason why I went in.

2. Tried buying my G4 in the store. Buying the phone outright because it's a business write-off and I have UDP still. Also Best Buy was more expensive. For whatever reason, I had THREE store clerks hounding me saying I need to change our entire business plan to one of their new plans in order to purchase the phone. Not even using an upgrade. (FYI, I never brought up the plan until they looked at it on their computer.) Told them I know for a fact that buying phone outright does not change my plan and said I could do it online without an issue. They were telling me "our in-store system is different." Just kept giving me excuses. I also don't know why I had 3 reps talking to one person when the store was busy. Felt like I was being interrogated. At that point I told them off because I hated how they tell me one thing one visit and then change their minds on another. Basically left, went online to buy the phone and got it next day. No changing plans and only took an extra day.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
That is why I went to Best Buy for my G4. Same scenario, unlimited data and I bought the phone outright. I told them that I would activate the phone myself and after we confirmed that the box actually had the phone I wanted, I completed the purchase. Later when I arrived home, I swapped my SIM for the pre-installed SIM before I turned on the phone and have been good since.

Dang it. I didn't even think about Best Buy. It was right across the street to. Shoot. It'd almost be worth the $35 to take back my G4 to VZW and go get it at Best Buy.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ensure your plan doesn't change. Since they activated a new SIM I have heard of peoples plans being changed afterwards.

LordLugard

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Sadly, It's the sales commission. They don't get paid as much (or at all) if you just buy outright and walk out the store without activating.
Doesn't excuse their actions but it's the way it is.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunate but not really uncommon. I have heard similar experiences. Either buy from best buy or buy online and have it shipped. After the first delivery attempt then you can go to the fedex or whatever to pickup.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Haven't had Verizon since my Blackberry pearl, but I don't remember it being that painful to buy phones lol. Glad you got what you wanted though!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunate but not really uncommon. I have heard similar experiences. Either buy from best buy or buy online and have it shipped. After the first delivery attempt then you can go to the fedex or whatever to pickup.
I agree best buy is better. If it is being delivered via fed ex you can also have it held at your local fed ex store. You have to go to FedEx online after you order and have it held. If I remember correctly, you have to set up a free account but it's worth the few minutes to hold a package when needed. I've used it a couple times now.

Sent from my LG G4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree best buy is better. If it is being delivered via fed ex you can also have it held at your local fed ex store. You have to go to FedEx online after you order and have it held. If I remember correctly, you have to set up a free account but it's worth the few minutes to hold a package when needed. I've used it a couple times now.

Sent from my LG G4
When I tried it online and calling in, they wouldn't let me do it without first having one delivery attempt. This only happens for verizon. Other fedex packages can be held at the facility before the first attempt.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Ensure your plan doesn't change. Since they activated a new SIM I have heard of peoples plans being changed afterwards.

You had me worried!!! Nope. Still says unlimited data. Whew. I did have to sign for the credit card, but they never made me sign a plan change receipt. It's been years since I signed one of those. It used to print out on the receipt paper and you could fold it 5 or 6 times.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
When I tried it online and calling in, they wouldn't let me do it without first having one delivery attempt. This only happens for verizon. Other fedex packages can be held at the facility before the first attempt.
Good to know. Now that I think about it, the last time I did it was with a Moto X and that was coming directly from Motorola.

Sent from my LG G4

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You had me worried!!! Nope. Still says unlimited data. Whew. I did have to sign for the credit card, but they never made me sign a plan change receipt. It's been years since I signed one of those. It used to print out on the receipt paper and you could fold it 5 or 6 times.

Glad to hear it didn't get changed -- I just wanted you to check ASAP because I have heard those horror stories and wouldn't want you to lose that sweet sweet unlimited :D.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear it didn't get changed -- I just wanted you to check ASAP because I have heard those horror stories and wouldn't want you to lose that sweet sweet unlimited :D.

Ya, ummm, let's not do that:
Usage.png

The 2GB is mom's phone. Upgraded her to an iPhone 6 last year. Told her to keep it connected to WiFi as much as possible. She does a great job.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Do you belong to Costco? I didn't but it outright, two year contract, so don't know if they give you that option.