Pixel 2 gets worringly hot

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My pixel gets worryingly hot after extended use. Whenever I use picture editing, or video editing apps, after around 20 minutes of use it will start to get very hot, but that's normal I thought, as it happened with my old phone too. However last night I left my phone on playing music the whole night, as it was kinda under my pillow I guess heat couldn't dissipate, but the phone was Scalding hot, like physically hurt to touch, even with my case on. I've noticed this specifically while it's charging. If I'm going to be using my phone while charging, should I get off the quick charger and let it charge at a normal rate? Or is there some other problem going on here?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Picture or video editing apps can be pretty processor intensive, so it's not surprising that the phone gets fairly hot. You should never keep any device under a pillow or blanket while charging, especially when the device is also being actively used. You're correct in that the problem with heat dissipation can lead to a quick rise in temperature, which raises the risk of thermal runaway and possible explosion or fire.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! My Pixel 2 will get warm too if I'm playing music and also using it pretty intensively. But I worry if you are saying your phone gets fairly hot. Try not to charge it overnight or leave it charging in a room in which you're not occupying. If it gets super hot again and it's not under a pillow, contact Google customer service for a replacement device.