Pixel 2 screen randomly turns on/off. Ambient Display is off.

juanbeme

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi all

Hoping I could get some guidance on this issue that's been bothering me recently. I have my Pixel 2's Ambient Display set to Off. However, the screen will turn on by itself and gradually turn off after a few seconds. I noticed that this will sometimes happen shortly after I get a message (social app such as Line, WhatsApp, etc.) or some other notification.

Here's what I've tried to date:
  • Run in Safe Mode (worked and no display issues came up)
  • Uninstalled apps such as Nova Prime Launcher (didn't work)
  • Turned Ambient Display Off (obviously)
  • Turned off notifications for all apps (didn't work)

The Google chat support rep informed me that it's likely a third-party app that's interfering with the display. I really hope not to uninstall all my apps or perform a factory reset, but this issue is somewhat annoying.

Any guidance or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There are further options in the Ambient Display menu to adjust things like "Wake screen for notifications." Make sure all those settings are disabled.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I have ambient display on. And that happens occasionally to me... my lock screen will turn on briefly on it's own.

StayClassy101

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
are you using a screen protector? also, sometimes residual moisture/oil/sweat that might be smeared on the screen could trip the double tap to wake function?

Drumsy

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
No screen protector and the double tap to wake feature is off.

So mine has been doing this and I just figured it out. I have an iPhone for work, and if I lay the Pixel 2 on top of the iPhone, the Pixel screen immediately turns off. This doesn't happen to be your problem, does it?

juanbeme

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Generally, no my Pixel screen will randomly turn on despite turning off notifications and ambient Display. I don't see how laying it on an iPhone would sort this out?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hengwin