Pixel 2 XL finally beat iPhone X at something.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I wish no manufacturer would use OLED. I have an iPhone X and I have a slight blueish hue when tilting the phone off axis, but I don't have the graininess of the LG panels like on the Pixel 2 XL. I would much prefer a high-quality LCD panel for a display, even if it uses slightly more battery power than OLED. Burn-in happens on LCDs, but at least it goes away after 10 minutes or so.

If it's actual burn-in on an LCD, it doesn't go away. It may have had image retention, which will go away after a bit. But burn-in is generally considered permanent. And LCDs can have permanent burn-in just like an OLED panel, but it's usually more resistive to it. But considering I don't keep phones for that long, I prefer to have the deeper blacks that come with OLED panels vs the dark grays that pass for black on LCD panels.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
If it's actual burn-in on an LCD, it doesn't go away. It may have had image retention, which will go away after a bit. But burn-in is generally considered permanent. And LCDs can have permanent burn-in just like an OLED panel, but it's usually more resistive to it. But considering I don't keep phones for that long, I prefer to have the deeper blacks that come with OLED panels vs the dark grays that pass for black on LCD panels.

You are most definitely right about the image retention. But I see it far less than on LCD displays.

But like you, I don't use a phone long enough to get burn-in, so...maybe it should be a non-issue for me.

AnotherInternetGuy

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
Probably not. The Verge is in full Apple Hype Train mode. Plus, they pulled their recommendation for hype as well.

Plus how much of this on the Pixel 2 XL is related to the polarization?

Seriously.

The Verge has lost all credibility with this generation of iPhone releases. It's either that they're Apple fanatics to the point of being a cult or they're outright sponsored by Apple in an unofficial;[kkkcvfgsde capacity.

Regardless, their reviews and content on phones is effectively worthless.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You are most definitely right about the image retention. But I see it far less than on LCD displays.

But like you, I don't use a phone long enough to get burn-in, so...maybe it should be a non-issue for me.

I alluded to that saying LCD is more resistive to burn-in than OLED panels. The only device I had actual permanent burn-in was my old Galaxy S3. After one year, the display had a 3/16" wide bright line down the entire right side of it, due my using my phone almost exclusively in landscape orientation and always turning it one way. My brother uses it for a media player at work but it still has the burn-in. Now I've had others that got image retention, but I've found when using it in landscape if I flip the device 180 degrees and keep switching it up, that it doesn't result in actual burn-in.

anon(9681881)

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I have been watching a 55 inch LG 3D OLED TV for the last year and I have never seen any color shift whatsoever, no matter how far off angle I look at it. So I don't think OLED technology is flawed.

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
I have both the X and Pixel 2 XL. The color shift on the Pixel is pretty major. On the X it's about the same as on a Note 8 which is very minor.

I have a pixel 2 XL for over a week, typing on it as we speak...at any angle I ever view or type, I've never seen blue... I have to tilt the phone purposefully which I don't do so I don't see it... Maybe I'm weird bit this isn't a big deal to me in anyway

The 2 XL will beat the X in battery life I'm pretty sure of that and I saw on Tom's where they were equal on head to head camera test

Last edited by a moderator:

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just read an article about the fragility of the X. SquareTrade ranked it as the most fragile smartphone ever. In it they mentioned something I'd never considered, if the glass breaks, FaceID will most likely no longer work. Might've been a good idea to include TouchID as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord