Pixel 2 XL vs iPhone 8 Plus Camera Comparison

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So I'm one of those guys who feels that pretty much every flagship for the past couple of years has had a camera good enough for 99% of the people to be delighted with the results 99% of the time.

That said, it's always nice to push to get more of that elusive last 1%!

While we're waiting on us, the 'real people' in the forums, to have and test and share our observations, here's a pretty good and unbiased comparison between the Pixel 2 XL and the iPhone 8 Plus cameras (this guy's channel is actually pretty good).

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Pictures and videos quality aside, the image and video stabilization on the pixel is so much better!

There's no question the stabilization was worlds ahead on the Pixels. Dynamic range as well - the iPhone had blown out sections in many scenarios. That said, they're still both darn fine cameras.

Something to take note of, though, is that the Pixel's camera has much more reason to anticipate performance enhancements from software upgrades than the iPhone. For example, the Pixels do a great job on 'portrait mode' if that is something of interest to you, but not nearly as well as the iPhone - but that difference is something that will surely diminish as Google continues advancing it.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for sharing. I'm very impressed with the Pixel 2 cameras. To me, the Pixel nailed a lot of the low light shots. The iPhone wasn't bad but the Pixel was pretty awesome.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
There's no question the stabilization was worlds ahead on the Pixels. Dynamic range as well - the iPhone had blown out sections in many scenarios. That said, they're still both darn fine cameras.

Something to take note of, though, is that the Pixel's camera has much more reason to anticipate performance enhancements from software upgrades than the iPhone. For example, the Pixels do a great job on 'portrait mode' if that is something of interest to you, but not nearly as well as the iPhone - but that difference is something that will surely diminish as Google continues advancing it.

Yup, this is only going to get better once Google enables the Pixel Visual Core on the phone.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
So I'm one of those guys who feels that pretty much every flagship for the past couple of years has had a camera good enough for 99% of the people to be delighted with the results 99% of the time.

That said, it's always nice to push to get more of that elusive last 1%!

While we're waiting on us, the 'real people' in the forums, to have and test and share our observations, here's a pretty good and unbiased comparison between the Pixel 2 XL and the iPhone 8 Plus cameras (this guy's channel is actually pretty good).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mp5Y3UTWH8

This was interesting, thanks. Both seem really great to be honest in this. I preferred the Pixel in a few more than I preferred the iPhone though. Still, both seemed pretty great to me.

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
Yup, this is only going to get better once Google enables the Pixel Visual Core on the phone.

Yeah this got me excited as well. The fact that a lot of the Pixel 2's cameras' strengths come from software makes me look forward to how these would improve over time.

sselemanrm

Oct 16, 2017
Visit site
Stabilization and better lowlight awesome is awesome.. Pixel 2 having no telephoto zoom is bummer.. We do have zoom for pictures though, right?

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Good find. Thanks for posting! I have seen many comparisons where they take the time to point out the differences (granted I haven't looked either). Overall, I liked the pixel camera better.

On a side note, as much discussion as this has received lately, look at the bezels on the iPhone! Those complaining about em on the 2 XL would go nuts with the iPhone. (Hope this comment doesn't hijack the thread)