Pixel 3 vs. dSLR

Martin_F

Oct 16, 2018
Visit site
A lot of people are wondering if the Pixel 3 can replace your full fledged dSLR?
I went on a trip to Bosque del Apache in New Mexico a couple week ago, and I had that question on my mind a lot.

Overall I would say it really depends on what kind of photography you're into. For me as a nature/wildlife photographer, nothing beats long lenses!

Here are a couple comparable shots, but I realize they might not be 100% fair, as the dSLR pictures are zoomed.

Pixel:
IMG_20181116_072502.jpg
dSLR:
LR-8761.jpg

Pixel:
IMG_20181116_075725.jpg
dSLR:
LR-8381.jpg

I can see how for other types of photography, it would be a lot easier to get away with just the Pixel to get great shots.
Overall I'm really happy with the Pixel, it's just obvious that in certain situations the phone can't keep up.

I'd like to hear your opinion, and see some more comparison pictures.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That was my first thought when I read the title - try putting a 1000mm mirror lens on a Pixel.

The camera chip is pretty advanced stuff for a phone - taking pictures in light that my eyes can't detect (I took a picture from my front door of my neighbor's truck - my foundation shrubs were totally black - in the picture, with Night Sight, they were a nice healthy green, and I could see the little leaves). It can be done with an SLR (d or f), but few people take what was probably a stabilized 5 second exposure.

But that crane is like your personal pet just posing for you - nice shot.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Spec by spec, a smartphone will never be able to match a dedicated camera of the same year (lets face it, my V20 often does better than my 10 year old micro 4/3 DSLR in many ways, but it's not a fair comparison). It's one thing to introduce a technology into a dedicated piece of hardware, but quite another to miniaturize it to fit into a smartphone. The differences that make smartphones seem so much better is much of the editing is automated. Consider the comparison article linked above.

The reason the Pixel looked so much better than the Sony in some of those shots is because the Pixel was taking six photos and making composites on the fly, compared to the Sony taking one single long exposure shot. You could take those same 6 shots on the Sony and make your own composite if you wanted (which isn't all that uncommon) and get better results than the Pixel, but it would require manual editing. Your average person doesn't want that.

Most people want point and shoot convenience in something they can fit in a pocket. In that, smartphones do hold the edge over most any other camera.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
This is more than Prius vs Corvette, though. It's pretty clear that at least with the addition of the lens the Pixel comes shockingly close to the DSLR. I really didn't expect that. What I wonder is how much is the additional lens which does work with other phones and how much is the phone.

Martin_F

Oct 16, 2018
Visit site
Spec by spec, a smartphone will never be able to match a dedicated camera of the same year (lets face it, my V20 often does better than my 10 year old micro 4/3 DSLR in many ways, but it's not a fair comparison). It's one thing to introduce a technology into a dedicated piece of hardware, but quite another to miniaturize it to fit into a smartphone. The differences that make smartphones seem so much better is much of the editing is automated. Consider the comparison article linked above.

The reason the Pixel looked so much better than the Sony in some of those shots is because the Pixel was taking six photos and making composites on the fly, compared to the Sony taking one single long exposure shot. You could take those same 6 shots on the Sony and make your own composite if you wanted (which isn't all that uncommon) and get better results than the Pixel, but it would require manual editing. Your average person doesn't want that.

Most people want point and shoot convenience in something they can fit in a pocket. In that, smartphones do hold the edge over most any other camera.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make!
The comparison isn't fair, but for some people the Pixel will be sufficient, while for other use cases it just won't cut it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
A lot of people are wondering if the Pixel 3 can replace your full fledged dSLR?
I went on a trip to Bosque del Apache in New Mexico a couple week ago, and I had that question on my mind a lot.

Overall I would say it really depends on what kind of photography you're into. For me as a nature/wildlife photographer, nothing beats long lenses!

Here are a couple comparable shots, but I realize they might not be 100% fair, as the dSLR pictures are zoomed.

Pixel:
View attachment 294710
dSLR:
View attachment 294711

Pixel:
View attachment 294712
dSLR:
View attachment 294713

I can see how for other types of photography, it would be a lot easier to get away with just the Pixel to get great shots.
Overall I'm really happy with the Pixel, it's just obvious that in certain situations the phone can't keep up.

I'd like to hear your opinion, and see some more comparison pictures.

It can't replace a DSLR however it can reduce the amount of times you take a DSLR with you.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
"Overall I'm really happy with the Pixel, it's just obvious that in certain situations the phone can't keep up."

Of course. And, overall I'm really happy with my DSLR but there are a lot of times my Pixel is with me and my DSLR, gadget bad of lenses and stuff, tripod, and reflector just aren't with me.

I think this is like comparing avocados and prime rib. Both are foods.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I find this post a little like, prius vs corvette...Comparing two different things. At least in this video they are more on the same playing field, although, I think the pixel may have been given an advantage here with the slr photographer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Htvr-JUn4

I believe the DSLR wins by a good margin -- that is not to say the Pixel shots are great, they just are not in the same ballpark.

The DSLR shots are clearly superior in isolating the subject (DOF), just look at plants in the background on any shot.

I would like to see the raw photos for these, because the color looks better in the Pixel shots. That is likely due more to the editing software. Also, comparing photos on video, even @1080, is not the best method. Also, don't forget, the folks in the video are selling the lens!

I tell folks, if you are shooting in auto mode on a DSLR, your camera phone is going to be as good or really close. If you shoot in raw and edit in Lightroom or something similar, there is a difference. For folks shooting in raw, the camera does not replace a DSLR, but it will reduce the number of times you need it. Sensor size and glass still matter, and probably will for a while.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This is probably the best argument and one that I abide by. I do take my DSLR with me on certain trips but usually it's the Pixel that is handy.

I mean don't get me wrong....would love to carry my compact DSLR to places like Disney. When you're out and about it's just a pain in the neck to wear it or to whip it out of a bag. My DSLR is pocketable but can't wear a jacket to those types of places that are hot.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I mean don't get me wrong....would love to carry my compact DSLR to places like Disney. When you're out and about it's just a pain in the neck to wear it or to whip it out of a bag. My DSLR is pocketable but can't wear a jacket to those types of places that are hot.

What DSLR are you shooting with and/or how big are your pockets??

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Sony NEX series are compact and the lens I have is internal zoom

Hehehe. That’s not a “DSLR” (Digital Single Lens Reflex) camera, it’s a MILC (Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera) and, yes, there is a big difference between them. :)

I have many cameras (film and digital) but the one I always use now and always have with me is one of the MILCs, Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark ii.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hehehe. That’s not a “DSLR” (Digital Single Lens Reflex) camera, it’s a MILC (Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera) and, yes, there is a big difference between them. :)

I have many cameras (film and digital) but the one I always use now and always have with me is one of the MILCs, Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark ii.

Yeah yeah....but that's what people refer to them as. No one usually comes here and draws the comparison between mirrorless and smart devices or distinguishes between DSLR and mirrorless in this forum. The NEX series take great pictures. Very close to my DSLRs....I have seven of them and about 30 lenses.
In any event it silly to compare a DSLR to cell camera but I think the point of this thread is to show that the Pixel can replace the need to carry one. Of course not for pixel peepers who insist on lugging around bulky equipment. I like to think of cell phones as great for taking snapshots and semipro equipment as great for taking photographs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klystron