Pixel 6 battery getting stuck at 100%

Ciaran Inglis

Apr 4, 2020
Visit site
I've had the pixel 6 for about a week and on the first charge it got stuck at 100%. I managed to get a replacement sorted out and the first charge its still doing the same thing. I've had this issue plague my pixel 4 XL hence the upgrade but two brand new phones have done the same thing. It'll be stuck at 100% until I restart or when I've left it, it'll slowly go down but still not at the correct percentage. Does anyone know what can be done??

UPDATE:
I've run some tests and whatnot and the battery seems to be dropping after a full charge but when restarted it shows a completely different percentage (managed to get it to 95% and after restarting it went to 92%). I've been in contact with google and they were going to send me another replacement but it was going to be a refurbished phone and I've had terrible experience with their refurbs. This is the second pixel 6 I've owned in the past two weeks and both have had the same issue with the battery.

UPDATE 2:
I have received my third device and all issues, EXCEPT the battery issue, have all disappeared. This is the third device so I'm thinking its a software issue that can just be sorted with an update or something because there is no way I've hit three of the same device. I don't mind I'm used to it now so I'll just keep an eye on it for now and hope something fixes it or see if it just sorts itself out.

FINAL UPDATE:
This is going to be the final update I make on this thread because it seems to be going absolutely nowhere. The second thread you may have seen is about a separate issue(s) that has been unresolved and has now been closed for no apparent reason.
The issue I had to start with was resolved with android 13 and is described in this thread. The battery would not go down at the correct percentage after being charged fully. After updating to android 13 everything seemed to be fine it would charge all the way to 100% and go down perfectly. I did forget to update on here but the first issue in this thread was fixed meaning my battery was fine and went down at the appropriate rate.
Now, the new issue(s), which I had started in a separate thread to avoid confusion with this one, was the fact that a few weeks after android 13 everyone started noticing a sudden drop in battery when idle and in use. I have in fact noticed this and battery has been very terrible and dropping rapidly. I barely manage to get a day of usage now and have to constantly charge and I've only owned it for about two months. After I noticed this things started to get worse and more problems started to arise. My pixel stand 2nd gen stops charging my phone at about 70 or 80% and then goes back to charging after a second or two. When it does this it tells me that its charging at say 85% but upon turning my phone back on it tells me a completely different percentage (I completely shut down my phone to charge most times so I'm not using it while its charging). It also does this with the wired cable that came with the phone and the google 30w adapter.
That's just issue number 1, the second issue is the fact that after leaving my phone to charge for long enough, it'll tell me its at 100% and like every normal person I take it off and turn it back on. When I do that it'll show me that the battery is somewhere between 95 and 99% even though it was on a long charge and showed it was fully charged. This can happen when using either the cable or pixel stand. It usually shows 98% but I've had it as low as 96% and its never done this before. The 3rd issue is when I use my phone I usually let it drop to about 5-10% before I shut the phone down completely and pop it on charge and 99% of the time the battery will go up from what I turned it off at. So say I use it and let it hit 5%, I'll then turn it off and put it on charge but as soon as it shows the percentage at which its charging it'll be a lot higher than what it showed when I turned it off. So as an example it went to 5% and then after turning it off and putting it on charge it showed me 10%. That's not a normal miscalculation. I've seen maybe 2% but a whole double is a bit much. I don't use any foreign cables or chargers all google products and this is a third brand new replacement. I like to have the battery go right to 100% and deplete at the correct rate without having to go through silly processes. I want to be able to stick my phone on charge and take it off at 100% and just use it.
I have asked loads of people and well I have this whole thread. I've tried everything possible from turning off battery percentages and adaptive battery features to completely resetting my phone and nothing seems to be really helping. I keep getting silly answers from people here and nothing that helps. I'm guessing that this is just another bug of some sorts because its never done this until after android 13 but people seem to be telling me otherwise and closing threads I have started to keep the two issues separate. I don't mean to be rude or anything but this is about as helpful as googles forms and they just give you the plain troubleshooting guides which most of the time have nothing to do with the issues at hand
if there are any helpful suggestions please do reply and try to help but other than that I will not be putting up anymore updates for this thread.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
They won't let me swap not even upgrade and pay the difference but I've gone through with an exchange because in the email they said device's may be refurbished. I had to get my pixel stand replaced and they said the same thing and it's a brand new stand that I'm getting so I'm going to check if the replacement pixel 6 is new of refurbished and work from there

I'm not a huge fan that a refurbished device or product is what you get when you have a brand-new product, yourself... But I get that is standard policy for some companies.

Ciaran Inglis

Apr 4, 2020
Visit site
I'm not a huge fan that a refurbished device or product is what you get when you have a brand-new product, yourself... But I get that is standard policy for some companies.

Well exactly I had a pixel 3a a while ago and it had an issue so I got in touch with Google and they said I can get a replacement and I waited a good week, it came and it was in worse condition than the one I sent to them. So I asked to get it sorted and they said they'll replace it again and so I waited and when it came it was even worse the screen was hanging out of the phone. My pixel stand (2nd gen) was needing replaced and they told me that it may be a refurb and when I go to order I'll find out the details, it's a new replacement. It's not great the whole refurb thing because some people send back devices in immaculate condition (me) and get back something second hand

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well exactly I had a pixel 3a a while ago and it had an issue so I got in touch with Google and they said I can get a replacement and I waited a good week, it came and it was in worse condition than the one I sent to them. So I asked to get it sorted and they said they'll replace it again and so I waited and when it came it was even worse the screen was hanging out of the phone. My pixel stand (2nd gen) was needing replaced and they told me that it may be a refurb and when I go to order I'll find out the details, it's a new replacement. It's not great the whole refurb thing because some people send back devices in immaculate condition (me) and get back something second hand

Do you use Google Preferred Care? I attempted to file a claim with them but didn't bother and my Pixel 5 began to perform better, thankfully. Those are really awful experiences, I'm sorry that happened! That, combined with the fact that lots of people have gotten purchased-online phones stolen out of the box, is making me think about buying from my carrier (ugh).

Ciaran Inglis

Apr 4, 2020
Visit site
Do you use Google Preferred Care? I attempted to file a claim with them but didn't bother and my Pixel 5 began to perform better, thankfully. Those are really awful experiences, I'm sorry that happened! That, combined with the fact that lots of people have gotten purchased-online phones stolen out of the box, is making me think about buying from my carrier (ugh).

I'm not sure what that is but I tend to buy from the brand and that way if anything goes wrong its not up to a secondary provider such as a carrier to deal with the issue but google is the only company that I have issues with. Just about every device I've bought from them goes wrong in some way. I've gone through with an advanced exchange for my pixel 6 to see if it'll be a refurb or not.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
They won't let me swap not even upgrade and pay the difference but I've gone through with an exchange because in the email they said device's may be refurbished. I had to get my pixel stand replaced and they said the same thing and it's a brand new stand that I'm getting so I'm going to check if the replacement pixel 6 is new of refurbished and work from there
Ahh ok , well hope you have better luck with the refurbished one.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what that is but I tend to buy from the brand and that way if anything goes wrong its not up to a secondary provider such as a carrier to deal with the issue but google is the only company that I have issues with. Just about every device I've bought from them goes wrong in some way. I've gone through with an advanced exchange for my pixel 6 to see if it'll be a refurb or not.

Gotcha! Going through the manufacturer is usually best. I wish I did that with my S10, but I never had any issues with it, so that was good.

Ciaran Inglis

Apr 4, 2020
Visit site
Gotcha! Going through the manufacturer is usually best. I wish I did that with my S10, but I never had any issues with it, so that was good.

This is turning out to be a bit of a mess now, I got in contact about my pixel stand acting up and they replaced it with no issues but they have confused that replacement with my phone and no are thinking that my issues have been resolved. I have two cases open both for my phone and still I'm getting nowhere.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This is turning out to be a bit of a mess now, I got in contact about my pixel stand acting up and they replaced it with no issues but they have confused that replacement with my phone and no are thinking that my issues have been resolved. I have two cases open both for my phone and still I'm getting nowhere.

Oh, no! That's awful! Have you called them or are these emails that you are getting? Please keep us posted on what happens!

Ciaran Inglis

Apr 4, 2020
Visit site
Oh, no! That's awful! Have you called them or are these emails that you are getting? Please keep us posted on what happens!

Hello! I know its been a minute but I've got an update for the situation. I'm still having issues with the battery and its still getting stuck at 100%. I've noticed that the battery will start to go down but not at the right percentage. Say for example the battery is telling me its at 95%, its actually lower than that and when I restart it'll go down to the correct percentage. The screen is still making the strange popping sound but it stops when the case is off and it didn't do that on the original device I bought so that's just a manufacturing defect. I managed to eventually get through to someone at google and talk about my issues and I'm expecting a new device tomorrow so hopefully this puts an end to all of this as I do love this phone and its perfect for me. I've just been let down a bit.

kamikazefireball

Jul 9, 2022
Visit site
Hi! I've also had this exact problem with my Pixel 6 since I got it last year. Basically it will hang at 100% and then decrease very slowly (like a half hour to go down to 99%) but then after a restart it shows the correct percentage and then decreases normally. I've also tried nearly everything from safe mode to full factory reset to discharging the phone completely to "calibrate" it and nothing has worked. It drives me crazy so I never charge my phone to 100% anymore but I'd love to find a solution to this although I suspect it is some sort of underlying software bug that a lot of people just don't notice or care.

I also have some issues with my Pixel Stand 2 where it doesn't always detect the phone properly and will charge extremely slow. I noticed that if the assistant icon does not show the phone will not fast charge and I often have to try multiple times before getting the stand to detect the phone properly.

Ciaran Inglis

Apr 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi! I've also had this exact problem with my Pixel 6 since I got it last year. Basically it will hang at 100% and then decrease very slowly (like a half hour to go down to 99%) but then after a restart it shows the correct percentage and then decreases normally. I've also tried nearly everything from safe mode to full factory reset to discharging the phone completely to "calibrate" it and nothing has worked. It drives me crazy so I never charge my phone to 100% anymore but I'd love to find a solution to this although I suspect it is some sort of underlying software bug that a lot of people just don't notice or care.

I also have some issues with my Pixel Stand 2 where it doesn't always detect the phone properly and will charge extremely slow. I noticed that if the assistant icon does not show the phone will not fast charge and I often have to try multiple times before getting the stand to detect the phone properly.

Hello!
You are a legend all of the issues you have stated are the exact same issues I've been having with both my phone and the stand. They must just be bugs with the software and I pray they get noticed because it's kind of annoying. My stand is brand new and I've been through three different pixel 6s all of which have been brand new. I've also noticed that along the right side of the screen when on a dark screen say the notification screen, there is this flash of green down the side until I tap the screen and it'll disappear can you let me know if you see that too?
Thanks!!

kamikazefireball

Jul 9, 2022
Visit site
Hello!
You are a legend all of the issues you have stated are the exact same issues I've been having with both my phone and the stand. They must just be bugs with the software and I pray they get noticed because it's kind of annoying. My stand is brand new and I've been through three different pixel 6s all of which have been brand new. I've also noticed that along the right side of the screen when on a dark screen say the notification screen, there is this flash of green down the side until I tap the screen and it'll disappear can you let me know if you see that too?
Thanks!!

Hi! I don't see a flash of green on my screen but it does sound like we have similar charging problems so it's nice to know I'm not crazy lol.