Possible Data Saving Issues?

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up an S22 Ultra after I've waited a month for it and it felt nice to be back with an android phone after a year away on iPhone. That being said there are some apps that I use on iPhone and I would like them to be seamless on Android. One is my daughter's dexcom app.. it's a glucose monitoring app since she is T1D and the other is Instagram. There would be times when her blood sugar would not be up to date and the app was not updating in the background like it should. I never have this problem on iOS and I double checked all the settings for any data saver and unlimited background usage but nonetheless the app would occasionally lag behind when it is supposed to refresh every 5 minutes. Also on the Instagram app if I would force close the app and reset the data and log back in videos with autoplay but after a few times using the app I had to manually load videos instead of them automatically loading. I have unlimited data on my plan but for whatever reason that phone is trying to bully me into using data saving features. I'm on Verizon using an unlocked S22U. Any ideas?

goji26

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
I just picked up an S22 Ultra after I've waited a month for it and it felt nice to be back with an android phone after a year away on iPhone. That being said there are some apps that I use on iPhone and I would like them to be seamless on Android. One is my daughter's dexcom app.. it's a glucose monitoring app since she is T1D and the other is Instagram. There would be times when her blood sugar would not be up to date and the app was not updating in the background like it should. I never have this problem on iOS and I double checked all the settings for any data saver and unlimited background usage but nonetheless the app would occasionally lag behind when it is supposed to refresh every 5 minutes. Also on the Instagram app if I would force close the app and reset the data and log back in videos with autoplay but after a few times using the app I had to manually load videos instead of them automatically loading. I have unlimited data on my plan but for whatever reason that phone is trying to bully me into using data saving features. I'm on Verizon using an unlocked S22U. Any ideas?
I think this all relates to the delayed notifications on android. It seems there's an aggressive dose feature built in to Android. This seems to disconnect data connection until the phone is woken up which causes all the notifications and updates to come through. It's extremely frustrating because the iPhones don't suffer from this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think this all relates to the delayed notifications on android. It seems there's an aggressive dose feature built in to Android. This seems to disconnect data connection until the phone is woken up which causes all the notifications and updates to come through. It's extremely frustrating because the iPhones don't suffer from this.

That kind of thing isn't an Android thing per se, but rather due to how the manufacturer tweaks the firmware. Samsung and several other manufacturers are notorious for being overly aggressive with RAM management, in order to increase battery life: https://dontkillmyapp.com/. I don't think you'd have this kind of issue if you used a Pixel or a phone from one of the manufacturers that doesn't do this kind of tinkering.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I can attest that my Pixel 4XL (running Android 12) does not have a lag in notification of an email or message coming through, and the S22s I had for a few days (each) also displayed no lag. And that was easily verified by having the phone(s) on a table next to me when I was on a computer and the phone would signal a message or email has been received, and seconds later, my PC would pop up a message stating an email and/or message was received. Now if a 1-2 second is considered a lag, I can live with it.

And in most cases the phone(s) was sitting on the table for quite a time (as just happened, have not touched the phone for over two hours and as I type this, I heard the message notification on my phone and a second later a message popped up in the lower right corner of my laptop saying a message had been received on the laptop).

goji26

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
That kind of thing isn't an Android thing per se, but rather due to how the manufacturer tweaks the firmware. Samsung and several other manufacturers are notorious for being overly aggressive with RAM management, in order to increase battery life: https://dontkillmyapp.com/. I don't think you'd have this kind of issue if you used a Pixel or a phone from one of the manufacturers that doesn't do this kind of tinkering.
I experienced the same issues with my Pixel 6 Pro. My wife also experiences the issue with her pixel 5A. The worst offenders for me are Twitter and Gmail.

goji26

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
I can attest that my Pixel 4XL (running Android 12) does not have a lag in notification of an email or message coming through, and the S22s I had for a few days (each) also displayed no lag. And that was easily verified by having the phone(s) on a table next to me when I was on a computer and the phone would signal a message or email has been received, and seconds later, my PC would pop up a message stating an email and/or message was received. Now if a 1-2 second is considered a lag, I can live with it.

And in most cases the phone(s) was sitting on the table for quite a time (as just happened, have not touched the phone for over two hours and as I type this, I heard the message notification on my phone and a second later a message popped up in the lower right corner of my laptop saying a message had been received on the laptop).
I have gone into each application and made the battery use unrestricted. I also turned off adaptive battery and any data saving services.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I experienced the same issues with my Pixel 6 Pro. My wife also experiences the issue with her pixel 5A. The worst offenders for me are Twitter and Gmail.

That's odd -- it shouldn't be happening, so there could be a setting that's responsible, or a 3rd party app that's interfering. Do you have any 3rd party "phone cleaner/booster" apps installed, or 3rd party file manager apps that might also have some kind of booster feature?

goji26

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
That's odd -- it shouldn't be happening, so there could be a setting that's responsible, or a 3rd party app that's interfering. Do you have any 3rd party "phone cleaner/booster" apps installed, or 3rd party file manager apps that might also have some kind of booster feature?
Nope, I don't believe any of those things help at all. I've noticed this happening with every Android phone I've had since the S10.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

I agree. Like most others have mentioned, my only Android issue has been Gmail. My previous HTCs, Pixels, and now Samsung have been great with notifications except for Gmail on every one.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
There is another thread going regarding emails being received late and the person there noted a setting in the Google email app to notifiy of every new email.

I'll say the same here that I noted on that thread and I wonder could it be a provider issue more than a phone (OS) issue?

I not only get instant notifications on my laptop within a second or two after the phone chirps with the email/message notification, I get it when out and about too. (I also realize that the second or two second lag from the phone chirping with a new message/email to the laptop notifying is most likely due to Gmails and message are hitting the phone a second or two sooner since on the laptop the email/message are going through third party apps like Thunderbird (emails) My Phone Companion (messages) before actually hitting the computer.

However, after posting yesterday, when I went into town I have instant notifications when I use a credit card for any purchase over five bucks. And my phone chirps the second the "approved, please remove card" is displayed on the scanners screen and if I run through the ATM to withdraw money, the second I check no more actions, I get a beep on my phone stating I have an email (ATM transactions are set to send an email receipt).

I can state all this basically worked on the S22U when I had it; other than the ATM electronic receipt.

That's why I'm wondering if it could be a provider issue, issue where you live, etc. But I don't believe it is an Android issue or it didn't appear to be an issue on the S22U I had for a few days, and definitely not an issue for the Pixel 4XL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali