Possible defective radio?

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Now I know moto is known for having excellent radios, but ever since I received my MXPE, my cell standby has always been about tied with my screen battery drain. I always attributed it to being a lollipop bug and kind of ignored it because my battery life wasn't terrible. But lately I noticed that on the battery graph, I NEVER have more than maybe 10% light green for my reception. It's almost always yellow and red no matter where I go (and I live on long Island, which is completely flat land with towers everywhere) .

Starting to get skeptical, I started looking into this a bit more. I downloaded a cell reception monitor earlier, and low and behold, my reception is consistently - 20 dbm more than my girlfriends gs5 (closed to 0 is better), and is typically sitting at -115 to -130 dbm, never going below -110.

Now, I think I'm going to stick in my Sim card into my old Moto X just to get more data on this, but does anyone else find this strange? Is anyone else sharing the reception woes I am?

I have a screen shot of an extreme day where this happened, starting with me going to sleep and the following day into the afternoon. It's not always this bad but it's not usually too far off. I wasn't aware that you could see cell reception by clicking on the graph at the time, so no ss of that unfortunately.

Attachments

• 1447465918854.jpg
    1447465918854.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 1447465930631.jpg
    1447465930631.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 36

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You don't have a case on, do you? Metallic cases can interfere with cell signal sometimes.

Also, is your girlfriend on the same carrier?

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
You don't have a case on, do you? Metallic cases can interfere with cell signal sometimes.

Also, is your girlfriend on the same carrier?

No case whatsoever, and yes, we're both on Verizon. I'm starting to get obsessive about looking at my reception now lol, I haven't seen it drop under - 115 in the past few hours where my gf has 95-100 constantly.. Hmmm. Is it possible to have a defective Sim card, perhaps?

I'm going to stick my sim into my old phone I'm a few minutes and see what it looks like

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjeans