Possible to install Voice Dialer 2.3.5 onto Android 5.1.1?

DarienFawkes

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I recently had to replace my HTC Evo 4G, which ran Android 2.3.5.
On this platform I had great success, I could say "Call Dave on Mobile." and it would repeat it back and then make the call to the correct number for that contact. If it misheard me, I would hear it say back the wrong name, hit the BT button again to hang up, and try again (though this was rare, I had good luck with it recognizing me).

I bought a Sprint branded Samsung S6. I paired up my bluetooth without any issues. When I tapped the button to dial, it asked me if I wanted to use "S Voice" or "Google" option (not sure if the 'Google' option is Google now or not). Found out "S Voice" requires me to be online, so cleared it and switched to the Google option.

Here's the new, Unwanted behavior:

I hit the BT button, it prompts me to speak, I say "Call Dave on Mobile", it then gives me a list of options for the numbers listed for Dave (mobile, home, etc) and prompts me to say "Call 1", "call 2", etc. Then it repeats/shows my final options and asks me to say "okay".

This... is not an improvement, in my opinion. I do not want to have to jump through hoops; especially since I have friends with multiple Mobile numbers, and it just lists "mobile 1" "mobile 2". Even when a friend has a "default" number picked.

I've searched for "Voice dialer" in the playstore - you can imagine how much stuff I found, but none seemed to be the right ones. I would like one that works offline, and to be able to give it a single command, specifying which number to dial, and for it to do so, as Voice Dialer 2.3.5 did.

Am I out of luck, or is there some settings someplace I can change to make this happen?

My phone is not rooted, not a Superuser. Factory load.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you use Google Now, I believe it will remember your preference, if the contact has multiple numbers. I just tried with one of my contacts. The first time I told Google Now to call it, it asked me to select which phone number listed in that contact. After I made that call and hung up, I tried again with Google Now--this time, it automatically dialed that same number I had selected before, without prompting me.

DarienFawkes

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi Diddy!

Thank you for that update. I did not try it multiple times on the same person, just a few different people.

On that method - what do you do when you need to reach the person at another number (without looking at the phone and dialing). If it's remembering my last option and kicking to that automatically, will it then take the "Dave on mobile" command, and Google Now will say "Wait, the default is Dave's home number, so now I know to use mobile"?

I can play with it some this weekend, just didn't know if anyone else had experience with it.

Still seems like a step backwards, but thank you for that update!