Possible to use two different calendars on Android phone?

A

AC Question

Using Android Lollipop

I need 2 very separate calendars, and I'm partially color blind (I know... sounds random to say, but I'll cover the significance of being color blind a little later on!) One calendar will be for repetitive reminders. I have things I need to do every day, and some that are done once a week, or even every 2 weeks, that I need reminders for, or I tend to forget to do them, especially since many of them must be done at different times of day, on different days, like checking my blood sugar on my Glucose meter.

The other calendar would be for appointments and events that are not repetitive, or regular. I tried setting up a single Google Calendar that listed both, but with the repetitive reminders the calendar was so cluttered it was hard to look at, and I had to hunt for my appointments listings.

I set up two calendars in Google Calendar, one for the repetitive events, and a second for appointments. On the Web, it was annoying because Google Calendar wanted to show all events from both calendars in one calendar page. So every time I logged into Google Calendars, I had to manually shut off the calendar I did not want to view. I would have preferred a simple means to select the calendar I wanted view, and easily switch from one to the other, but that does not seem to be possible.

On my phone it was the same problem, the defaults with the 5 calendar apps I tried wanted to show both calendars merged into one calendar, and I had to manually go through the app's settings to shut off the calendar I did not want to view.

I then created a second Google Account and created a calendar in that account. So, I had two different Google accounts, and two different Google Calendars. On my phone I set up one calendar app with one Google account, and a second calendar with the second Google account. So, the calendar I wished to view was a matter of launching the calendar app that was set up for it.

This looked like it was going to work, I shut down each calendar app, and reopened them, and they showed me the correct calendars. This would (or I had hoped it would) allow me to easily spot my appointments, because they would not be lost in the clutter of all my repetitive reminders. However... they don't stick. At some point, and I'm not sure what the time interval is, or what the trigger event is, all my calendar apps decide to switch to using my second Google account Google and seem to forget I ever had the first account. Something interesting about this is, the calendar apps I setup with my first account, never had my second account entered or added. Somehow, they magically found my second account info and set them up, then ditched my first account all without my input.

I have run antivirus scans from both CM Security, and Norton, neither of which found anything nasty on my phone.

So, what about that partial color blind business I mentioned earlier... what's that got to do with this? (I know... you're on the edge of your seat to find out about that!). That's for anyone who might suggest I use one calendar but make my appointments a different color then my repetitive reminders. I'm not totally color blind but using colors to differentiate things has always been a problem for me. So I'm hoping I can utilize two different calendars at the same time on my Android phone.

Sorry about the tl:dr but sometimes I tend to over-explain things.

Hopefully some brilliant Android user out there can help me achieve what I'm trying to do here.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! My recommendation would still be to have one Google account, and create different calendars in your Google Calendar. I have several different calendars on my Google Calendar account. On the web, it's a simple matter of clicking on each calendar (listed in the lefthand column) to toggle it on or off.

On the phone, open Calendar, swipe in from the left, and tap Settings. You'll see all of the calendars you've created in Google Calendar (look under your Google account's email address, because there may be other accounts there, like the local Phone account--don't use that one). Tap any of the calendars to bring up further settings, where you can choose to Sync them or not. If you don't sync a calendar, it won't be viewable. Here, you can also select which color the events will show up as.

After you've choosed which calendars to sync, go back to the main calendar screen. Swipe in from the left again, and look under your Google account. You should see all of the calendars listed that you chose to sync. Tapping on any of them will toggle them on or off in the main calendar display. So when you want to hide a calendar temporarily in order to reduce clutter, it's a simple matter of swiping in from the left and tapping that calendar. If you want to show it again, tap it again.

EVJWinters

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Thanks B. Diddy. This post was mine, but I posted it without being logged in.
I'll look into your suggestion for using one account and try that again. It seemed a bit unwieldy at the time, but maybe I missed something.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I's fairly simple.... I use multiple calendars myself... my own and my wife shares hers with me (it has all the kids' stuff in there) and I toggle back and forth rather easily if I don't want to see it.

EVJWinters

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Thanks again for your help, B.Diddy, I did manage to get it to work as you suggested, although the calendar app that comes with Lollipop is a bit of an eye-ache.
Unfortunately, with two calendars under one account, I pretty much have to show both calendars at once and leave it that way. If I hide one calendar to view the other... I risk forgetting to unhide, and I don't get reminder popups for the hidden calendar.

This is one of the reasons why I was hoping to run two calendar apps. I would open one app for my appointments, the other app for my reminders, and get popup reminder for both. I guess no app designer considered this sort of setup.

Tommypiki

Nov 12, 2018
Visit site
You can run separate different calendars on Android devices. But one will be Google link account. Another one, if you have a Microsoft, install Outlook and do not sync. As far as I know that's the only way to have 2 separate calendars on one device