Problem with custom text notifications (unique to different ppl/groups) on Google Pixel 6 Pro

mss71gfx

Jan 16, 2022
Visit site
I just recently got my Google 6 Pro and proceeded to customize text-tone notification sounds for my various friends and family members with each one having a unique tone. The menu navigation seemed a bit "clunky" when compared to my previous LG-5 (VS987). I hoped for much better, since, after all, it is a Google phone.

Anyway - I got through several of my contacts and even could apply a unique tone for a group text. I was pleasantly surprised. For ease of reference, let's just say the group was populated with Albert, Beth, Candice, and Dave (A,B,C,D). Again - the group had a custom text tone. I continued to move down the list and got to a text thread with just Dave. and when I pressed the "notifications" part of the menu [three dots, details, notifications]... it just halted. It wouldn't move past that details screen despite the fact that I pressed "notifications." I moved on to other people only to find that for some other people I faced the same dilemma. But there were some (after I encountered the seeming roadblock) that it would work.

I know for a fact that it's not related to the carrier for the recipient, because in the above described scenario, both "Beth" and "Dave" have the exact same carrier that I have (Verizon).

Just in case someone asks: Yes, I did reboot my phone and the same problem remained.

Has anyone else experienced this odd phenomena? Better yet: Anyone have any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyway - I got through several of my contacts and even could apply a unique tone for a group text. I was pleasantly surprised.

So was I when I discovered this.

For ease of reference, let's just say the group was populated with Albert, Beth, Candice, and Dave (A,B,C,D). Again - the group had a custom text tone. I continued to move down the list and got to a text thread with just Dave. and when I pressed the "notifications" part of the menu [three dots, details, notifications]... it just halted. It wouldn't move past that details screen despite the fact that I pressed "notifications." I moved on to other people only to find that for some other people I faced the same dilemma. But there were some (after I encountered the seeming roadblock) that it would work.

I know for a fact that it's not related to the carrier for the recipient, because in the above described scenario, both "Beth" and "Dave" have the exact same carrier that I have (Verizon).

Just in case someone asks: Yes, I did reboot my phone and the same problem remained.

Has anyone else experienced this odd phenomena? Better yet: Anyone have any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

I presume you are using Google Messages, the text messaging app that came with your Pixel?

I just checked a group text that I've applied a notification sound to and then I checked individual members of the group that I have also assigned a (different) custom notification sound. I don't see the problem you're seeing. Individuals have their assigned custom sounds and I can go into their Details and change the notification sound at will. In other words, the menu doesn't freeze on the Details screen. Not for any member of the group.

However, two things to note: 1.) I have a Pixel 5a running Android 12; 2.) I assigned my default text notification sound to the group text (which is different than the Google default notification sound.)

You might try to duplicate my set up, that is, assigning whatever you're using as a default text notification sound to the group text and then go into a text thread to an individual person in that group text and try to navigate the Details menu.

My complaint with Google Messages is that once inside a text message conversation with someone, all subsequent messages received from that person does not invoke a notification sound. On my previous phone, Pixel 2XL running Android 11, I could get text message notifications while inside a conversation, albeit it was the default sound event and not my custom sound event for that particular person.

More on this here:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/g...ssages-notification-question.html#post7004398

And if anyone wants to try the experiment in my linked post, please do, and post your results in that thread.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's worth pointing out that you can't assign specific notification tones to individual contacts -- only specific message threads, as you were describing.

How are you getting to the notification options? Are you starting from within the Messages app and tapping the 3-dot menu button associated with a specific thread, or are you starting in the Settings>Apps menu, selecting Messages, then Notifications?

mss71gfx

Jan 16, 2022
Visit site
I presume you are using Google Messages, the text messaging app that came with your Pixel?

Yes, I am using the current Google Messages app (updated Jan 5, 2022 vsn)

You might try to duplicate my set up, that is, assigning whatever you're using as a default text notification sound to the group text and then go into a text thread to an individual person in that group text and try to navigate the Details menu.

I tried what you suggested and it did not change things. I was still unable to apply a custom msg notification sound to the same person, even after setting the group back to the default notification sound.

RE your question if Pixel 6 Pro still gives notification sound while the user is in the same thread, I just had some help testing it out. Unfortunately, it seems the 6 Pro works the same as your 5a (sorry).

Thanks.

mss71gfx

Jan 16, 2022
Visit site
It's worth pointing out that you can't assign specific notification tones to individual contacts -- only specific message threads, as you were describing.

How are you getting to the notification options? Are you starting from within the Messages app and tapping the 3-dot menu button associated with a specific thread, or are you starting in the Settings>Apps menu, selecting Messages, then Notifications?

Yes, I was working down through my messages as imported from my old phone (going down from most recent to older ones). I was using the same steps (as you described above: 3-dot menu, details, notifications) and for some people/groups pressing the notifications (word) opens up to the appropriate screen allowing me to change the notification sound, but on others it does not - it just sits there.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I am using the current Google Messages app (updated Jan 5, 2022 vsn)

I tried what you suggested and it did not change things. I was still unable to apply a custom msg notification sound to the same person, even after setting the group back to the default notification sound.

RE your question if Pixel 6 Pro still gives notification sound while the user is in the same thread, I just had some help testing it out. Unfortunately, it seems the 6 Pro works the same as your 5a (sorry).

Thanks.

That's a bummer you can't get the notifications to work correctly for you.

I appreciate the information on the the notification sound absent during an open conversation.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I was working down through my messages as imported from my old phone (going down from most recent to older ones). I was using the same steps (as you described above: 3-dot menu, details, notifications) and for some people/groups pressing the notifications (word) opens up to the appropriate screen allowing me to change the notification sound, but on others it does not - it just sits there.

Try clearing the app cache/data for the Messages app in Settings>Apps​. This should not delete any saved messages you have, since those are saved in a separate system app (Phone and Messaging Storage).

mss71gfx

Jan 16, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestion. I tried that and sadly it didn't change anything. I submitted a customer complaint/request ticket through the Google Pixel Support forum. We'll see what happens there.

If/when I get a positive resolution to this, I will return and post the solution here for others.

Thanks again.

Harold Anderson2

Feb 4, 2022
Visit site
I have the exact same issue here with a new Pixel 6. I lost the individual tones for friends versus default tone for customers and as I was setting the tones per thread when it stopped letting me into notifications setting. I have over 1400 contacts in this phone and who knows how many threads going back several years. Wondering if you have this many entries on your phone? My previous phone was a Pixel 4A. Always had no issues with it.

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried that and sadly it didn't change anything. I submitted a customer complaint/request ticket through the Google Pixel Support forum. We'll see what happens there.

If/when I get a positive resolution to this, I will return and post the solution here for others.

Thanks again.

Harold Anderson2

Feb 4, 2022
Visit site
Re: Problem with custom text notifications (unique to different ppl/groups) [ Workaround found]

I have the exact same issue here with a new Pixel 6. I lost the individual tones for friends versus default tone for customers and as I was setting the tones per thread when it stopped letting me into notifications setting. I have over 1400 contacts in this phone and who knows how many threads going back several years. Wondering if you have this many entries on your phone? My previous phone was a Pixel 4A. Always had no issues with it.

I found a workaround after using the phone Pixel 6 for bit. After the contact sends you a text and they are at the top of your thread list the [Nofifications] link works under [Details] again.

Sending the contact a text to move them to the top of your thread list does not work until after they reply. After they respond you will be able to modify their text notification. Weird, but true.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyway - I got through several of my contacts and even could apply a unique tone for a group text. I was pleasantly surprised. For ease of reference, let's just say the group was populated with Albert, Beth, Candice, and Dave (A,B,C,D). Again - the group had a custom text tone. I continued to move down the list and got to a text thread with just Dave. and when I pressed the "notifications" part of the menu [three dots, details, notifications]... it just halted. It wouldn't move past that details screen despite the fact that I pressed "notifications." I moved on to other people only to find that for some other people I faced the same dilemma. But there were some (after I encountered the seeming roadblock) that it would work.

Thanks in advance.

I just encountered this problem for the first time on my Pixel 5a yesterday. I noticed a response to a message I sent to a group chat did not give me any notifications sound, or vibration. While in the group conversation I went to check the notification sound [three dots, details, notification], which I assumed would be set to default, but I ran into the same roadblock as mss71gfx, the action froze when tapping notifications. However, I continued to tap on notifications and on the third tap I got through and saw that I had this conversation set to silent (that's a whole other issue--why isn't the default notification sound set to all conversations with custom sounds overriding them as I have set?) Anyway, my "solution" to the problem was to keep tapping on notifications until I got to the next level in the menu tree.

mss71gfx

Jan 16, 2022
Visit site
Re: Problem with custom text notifications (unique to different ppl/groups) [ Workaround found]

I found a workaround after using the phone Pixel 6 for a bit. After the contact sends you a text and they are at the top of your thread list the [Nofifications] link works under [Details] again.

Sending the contact a text to move them to the top of your thread list does not work until after they reply. After they respond you will be able to modify their text notification. Weird, but true.

Interesting observation. Sadly, I gave up on wrestling with the default Google messaging app and chose to rather return to my previous messaging app, "Message+" The icon is a red background with two overlapping white chat bubbles. When I installed it two or so weeks ago the most recent version was 8.1.5. Since installing and using that messaging app I was able to apply not only custom notification sounds to individuals and to groups, but I was also able to customize the background graphic and change the style/colors of the chat bubbles within that thread.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos