Problems with navigation in Maps, GPS problems?

harbinger007

Oct 21, 2021
Visit site
I've been using Maps for navigation extensively for the past 10:days in Italy. I have no Internet connection while driving but downloaded the map for the area I'm traveling.

Numerous times I've had my phone display "Rerouting" despite being in open country with unobstructed skies. Often it will sound an audible alarm, but not always. It will usually show the retiring message repeatedly, toggling back to next navigation move and going back to rerouting. Today on my way back to Rome it directed me off the A12 highway onto a ridiculous path the added 30 minutes to my trip.

Has anyone else had this experience? Any idea what is causing this?

harbinger007

Oct 21, 2021
Visit site
Google has even small roads mapped accurately and usually worked well, even on small roads. Suddenly rerouting while driving down a major highway seems like something else.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have used maps regularly recently and not had those issues but I am connected to data. I can't understand why you are having those issues in Italy.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In the Google Maps app settings, go to Navigation Settings. Are Avoid Highways or Avoid Tolls toggled on?

PixelKing

Nov 19, 2021
Visit site
I have used maps regularly recently and not had those issues but I am connected to data. I can't understand why you are having those issues in Italy.

I think he needs to talk to people in Italy with Android phones to see if they are experiencing his issues. I don't live in Italy. I do believe it's an issue because he's not using mobile data. I think a new Google phone has to learn it's environment. I wonder if he is from Italy or just visiting.

harbinger007

Oct 21, 2021
Visit site
Oddly, my map settings did have the avoid highways toggled on. I don't know that this has been the cause of my problem, however. The cycling back and forth between rerouting even when on a lengthy freeway run seemed like a GPS signal issue as if I did not have a clear view of the sky, which was not the case. For one period of time I was connected to a local friend's phone for data but don't remember if I had this issue then sine he was driving and knew the way.

Thanks. I am vacationing and will return to California tomorrow and will then see if the problem persists there.

I had originally planned to use a mobile hotspot for data but learned after I got here that it was locked to AT&T. Then I tried to activate international services with Verizon but the turds locked me out of myverizon for unknown reasons. Still had a great vacation, beats working!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Awesome vacation -- where in Italy did you visit?

It's too bad you don't have any more time there to test the nav with the Avoid Highways option toggled off. It'll be interesting to see if the same kind of behavior happens back in California.

harbinger007

Oct 21, 2021
Visit site
Awesome vacation -- where in Italy did you visit?

It's too bad you don't have any more time there to test the nav with the Avoid Highways option toggled off. It'll be interesting to see if the same kind of behavior happens back in California.

Rome, Soriano, Orvieto, Civita Bagnoregio, Assisi, La Verna, Quarrata (agrotourismo stay), Vici, Prato, Pistoia, and back to Rome. Visited a lot of churches and museums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali